Maine Steamer Clams.....From the shore to the table !

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Oh I miss the good old days at Heck Allen's in Saugus during the summer ,at least once a month double order of streamers mmmm.

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For years when I would visit my son in Alaska we would take his boat and go into Halibut cove lagoon off Katchemak bay across from Homer. We would fill a 5 gal. bucket in 20 minutes. The clams were big and so fat that they couldn't close up all the way. Now mark tells me that the sea otters have dug out and eaten all the clams there. Jack.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Boil them, then grill them? Recipe?
- Scrub and clean them first (the usual procedure).
- Then steam them until they just open up (but make sure that they are not still gooie or they will fall apart when handling).
- Remove from shells.
- Clean the decent condition half shells to re-use them. Place them on a cooking grate or perforated cooking pan.
- Clean the steamers in hot water.
- Place them into the half shells.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over each steamer and leave enough to pool-up in each shell.
- Add fresh ground pepper and sea-salt. If you like you can add some garlic powder.
- Put them on the grill for just a short time (until the olive oil starts to cook/bubble/broil), and remove them immediately (they are only on there for
less than a minute, but its enough for them to get flavored by the cooked olive oil and seasoning).
The process adds a nice seared oil flavor, and just little hint of smoke (dependent on how you normally grill).
- Add a shot or two of tabasco.

Last edited:

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fake news.
"Clam rollers"=Fail (it's a clam rocker)
Becks beer=Fail (all clam diggers drink Bud Lite)
Yankees t-shirt??????
Man how times have changed.
They would not be caught with anything but pabst blue ribbon back in the day

Last edited:

Maddawg1952

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Old Yankee Steamed Clams tip; Put the freshly dug clams in the tub with some water and a box of cornmeal let em sit a while they eat the corn meal and chit out the sand. Rinse and cook in a Big ass pot. All the Essex River clammers I know drink Red White and Blue.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in about 1969 when our ship was in port in Newport R.I. a storm came by and washed up so many clams that they used front loaders to clean up the beaches. Anyway a buddy and I got two big burlap bags filled up with the clams and bought about a dozen lobsters and drove to my camp on Sacandaga lake in the Adirondacks in upstate new york. We got together with friends and put hot rocks in a pit and covered them with corn husks and put all the clams, lobsters, potatoes and corn in and covered everything with corn husks and then sand. When everything was cooked we ate and drank beer into the we small hours of the morning. WHAT A COOKOUT THAT WAS.

oldguy68

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Digging clams in Chatham early Sunday morning in the summer.
Steaming them the same afternoon while washing them down with an ice cold PBR..Priceless!

Or going to the seafood market and getting 3 lbs of mussels and a lb of butter. Mmm delish!

Cherry stones, no sand inside and easy as pie. Put a couple in bowl and set the microwave for 1 minute or so and enjoy!

MuzzleDiscipline

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back in about 1969 when our ship was in port in Newport R.I. a storm came by and washed up so many clams that they used front loaders to clean up the beaches......
I was on that beach watching the removal. There is nothing I would rather consume than freshly dug(from Narragansett Bay) steamers dumped in pot with a can of beer poured in to create the steam. The pot liquor is ambrosia.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on a shellfish binge lately. Mostly whole oysters, mussels, scallops. Going to try cherrystones as some have suggested. But did the price of steamers spike up and never come down again? I seem to remember them being less expensive. Granted I'm not close to the ocean.

I can understand why some folks could be repulsed by shellfish. There's a few foods I can't seem to get myself to like, either.

The cape cod oysters I've gotten in the last couple weeks have been among the best I've ever had. I have managed to keep them and mussels alive in the fridge for several days lately. Steamers can be kept alive for a couple days in salt water in a cold place, but it's been a while since I've had any.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone else remember in the early 80's...before yuppies figured out mussels were tasty....you could just wander around a Maine beach and pick up a couple bushels of mussels in about 3 minutes....just lying there?

MP-In-The-Wind

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig my own steamers when I want GOOD steamers! ;) Freshly dug steamers are NOT the best ones....they are filled with sand...
You have to do a 'soak' over a few days for best results....you'll be amazed the amount of sand that they still produce after a couple of days...
IMHO: using corn meal doesn't offer any advantage over using just plain salt water! When I have a peck of clams, I will get a couple of buckets of water to use in the purging process.

oldguy68

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I use a rake made by R.A. Ribb Company.
R.A. Ribb Company: Pride & Purpose
Mine has a smaller oval size basket.
Those claws are no joke sharp, thin and long!
It's like Freddy Kruegar vs the quahog!
Freddy wins every time!

Just me, my rake, my metal basket with foam ring and rope with a stainless steel carabiner attached to a belt loop of my shorts.
Nothing like turning around and your basket is floating around with a mine of it's own.
You swear they are trying to escape!
So many quahogs..So little time..

Last edited:

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Nigella and I will cook linguine and mussels clam sauce much like this recipe. We will drink and dine all night.

Top Bottom