• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine proposal to redefine “machine gun” could lead to backdoor gun confiscation

mikeyp

NES Member
Maine proposal to redefine “machine gun” could lead to backdoor gun confiscation

AUGUSTA – A bill proposed by Rep. Victoria Doudera (D – Camden) would redefine what a “machine gun” is under state law. The Maine Legislature has attempted, without success, to pass more than a dozen laws that would impact Maine gun owners since the new Democrat majority was ushered in alongside Governor Janet Mills.

Rep. Doudera’s bill is one of a new group of proposals that will be considered by the Legislative Council on October 23. It is currently labeled LR 2829 “An Act To Amend the Definition of the Term “Machine Gun”” on the website of the Maine Revisor of Statutes.

Under current criminal code, unlawful possession of a “machine gun” is considered a substantive offense and subject to seizure and confiscation.

Maine Revised Statutes Title 17-A: Part 2, Chapter 43
§1053. Confiscation and seizure of machine gun

Any machine gun possessed in violation of section 1051 is declared to be contraband and is subject to forfeiture to the State. Any law enforcement officer shall have the power to seize the same with due process.”

The definition of a “machine gun” subject to confiscation and seizure under state law is as follows:

Maine Revised Statutes Title 17-A: Part 2, Chapter 43
§1051. Possession of machine gun

“A weapon of any description, by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, which is capable of discharging a number of projectiles in rapid succession by one manual or mechanical action on the trigger or firing mechanism.”

By changing the definition of a “machine gun” to encompass more of the firearms owned by Mainers, Rep. Doudera’s proposal could also make those newly defined “machine guns” subject to confiscation and seizure, turning owners of those firearms into criminals under the new law.

Rep. Doudera’s proposal is subject to approval by a majority of the Legislature’s Legislative Council at their meeting on October 23. The council is comprised of the members of House and Senate leadership from both parties, with six Democrats and four Republicans. Senate President Troy Jackson Chairs the council, with Speaker Sara Gideon serving as Vice Chair.

Other bills related to guns that are being proposed include a bill to require gun owners to carry liability insurance, and a bill to ban so-called “assault type weapons” among others.

In all, nearly 400 new legislative proposals are expected to be considered by the Legislative Council on October 23.

Mods can you move this to general? No sleep last night, I thought that's where I was posting lol

I guess Maine Ain't as free as it once was.

Just because nippleheads file anti gun bills doesn't necessarily mean they're going anywhere. I'm sure there are dipshits that do the same in
other states.

Hell, even in this shithole (MA) 99% of the anti gun bills that get filed don't go anywhere.

-Mike

Just because nippleheads file anti gun bills doesn't necessarily mean they're going anywhere. I'm sure there are dipshits that do the same in
other states.

Hell, even in this shithole (MA) 99% of the anti gun bills that get filed don't go anywhere.

-Mike

yes, but Maine has been veering to the left for a while now. And with all the new democrats politicians they will be like Mass or worse in no time.

Next, the leftists will be wanting to redefine the meaning of "sunlight".

Anything other than the current definition of a machine gun would be a physical lie. If a gun is discharged one bullet for every trigger pull there is no "machine" operation involved.

This is their back door attempt to regulate or ban all semi automatic guns.

If the penalties are going to be severe or the same then there's no reason not to convert every gun owned to regular full auto.

yes, but Maine has been veering to the left for a while now. And with all the new democrats politicians they will be like Mass or worse in no time.

Yes, it's veered to the left so far that Bloomberg spent 6 million dollars pounding the ground there and still couldn't get a UBC referendum passed. [rolleyes]

-Mike

I haven't had my coffee yet. What is the key change here? Trying to wrap my head around it and all I can immediately figure out is that maybe this includes trigger cranks now.

A weapon of any description, by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, which is capable of discharging

Damn. I want one of those unloaded guns that can shoot anyhoo. I'd give my my phased plasma rifle (40W range) for it.

Yes, it's veered to the left so far that Bloomberg spent 6 million dollars pounding the ground there and still couldn't get a UBC referendum passed. [rolleyes]

-Mike

well, yes....but the seed has been planted. And these polls can just keep coming up with more creative ways to word their bans. It's a full time job for them. Look what happens here in Mass. they just keep cutting and cutting and cutting. And we keep yielding. never getting anything back. It's only a matter of time. Sooner or later they will have enough compliance and gun rights will be gone.

Any machine gun possessed in violation of section 1051 is declared to be contraband and is subject to forfeiture to the State. Any law enforcement officer shall have the power to seize the same with due process.”
Sounds like an order from a dicktator.

“A weapon of any description, by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, which is capable of discharging a number of projectiles in rapid succession by one manual or mechanical action on the trigger or firing mechanism.”
Shotguns shoot "a number of projectiles"

At least two "assault weapon" legislative requests are listed. I suspect this machine gun nonsense is a third.
http://legislature.maine.gov/doc/3313

Republicans didn't want to be left out with this bit of special class pandering:
  • LR: 2901 Sponsor: Representative Morris of Turner
    Title: An Act To Allow Retired Police Officers with a Federal Law Enforcement
    Officers Safety Act Clearance To Carry Concealed Firearms on School Grounds

AUGUSTA – A bill proposed by Rep. Victoria Doudera (D – Camden) would redefine what a “machine gun” is under state law. The Maine Legislature has attempted, without success, to pass more than a dozen laws that would impact Maine gun owners since the new Democrat majority was ushered in alongside Governor Janet Mills

Read the first paragraph again.
These Bills aren't going anywhere.

other states.

-Mike

This is how it starts. Ten years ago nobody would have predicted that I'd have to worry about the state supporting some male going in the women's room (which is why my daughters don't go to a public restroom unless I insure that it's cleared first, and then stand in front of it to keep men and other undesirables out). Wacky proposals precede consideration, precede committees, precede voting, precede re-introductions, precede law, and the demise of our freedoms. Our only hope in the long term is to get more people involved in the shooting sports, and continue to press our "representatives".

I was very happy to see a black woman picking up a new handgun at 4 Seasons this week. Women and minorities are our great hope. Hopefully the millenial metrosexuals will get involved too, but.......................

doudera-right-of-hogg2.jpg

State Rep. Victoria Doudera (immediately to right of David Hogg) poses for a photo with the anti-gun activist along with other state lawmakers. (Photo courtesy State Representative Vicki Doudera Facebook Page)

Back
Top Bottom