• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine non-resident CCW application - Hunter Safety Course?

hey All,

I live in NH and have a NH CCW permit. I'd like to get one for Maine and noticed that I need to have some proof of handgun training/certification. Does anyone know if a Hunter Safety certificate (issued within the past 5 years) would be valid? When I got my NH hunter's permit, we had a section where we learned about handguns and handgun safety) and we were tested on this during the the class. I was issued a Hunter's Safety card by NH fish and game.

Thanks in advance.

cynergy

Related , what have been people's experience with turn around from Maine? I sent in app 4 months ago. It took them over a month to cash the check. Still no permit or any response.

hey All,

I live in NH and have a NH CCW permit. I'd like to get one for Maine and noticed that I need to have some proof of handgun training/certification. Does anyone know if a Hunter Safety certificate (issued within the past 5 years) would be valid? When I got my NH hunter's permit, we had a section where we learned about handguns and handgun safety) and we were tested on this during the the class. I was issued a Hunter's Safety card by NH fish and game.

Thanks in advance.

cynergy

Best suggestion is give them a call. That's what I did wrt the training cert and got the answer that I needed (I'm an NRA Instructor and asked if that was adequate - answer: yes). They are good folks and more than willing to answer questions on the phone with real answers.

Related , what have been people's experience with turn around from Maine? I sent in app 4 months ago. It took them over a month to cash the check. Still no permit or any response.

It was 3 months for me and a drive to Augusta to pick it up. Only one person in ME does the processing and when she's on vacation or there are holidays, it can take forever. I sent mine in in April and drove to Augusta in mid-July to pick it up. They only printed it up the day I went to pick it up because they told me that they would . . . otherwise it would probably have taken another month! [thinking] [They told me that I had been "approved" back in early June.]

It was 3 months for me and a drive to Augusta to pick it up. Only one person in ME does the processing and when she's on vacation or there are holidays, it can take forever. I sent mine in in April and drove to Augusta in mid-July to pick it up. They only printed it up the day I went to pick it up because they told me that they would . . . otherwise it would probably have taken another month! [thinking] [They told me that I had been "approved" back in early June.]

Thanks Len. I will call Tuesday and hope she is in.

I have an email response from MSP, told them I've been licensed for 30+ years, took my course when I was 17... they replied if I didn't have the certificate, I'd still have to take a basic firearm safety course

If you are a first time applicant, then the course also needs to be a course that has been taken in the past five years. So, if you have had a MA CCW for 10 years and the course you took dates back that far, for a ME CCW you will have to take a new course.

The booklet can be found on this page, for those not already aware of it:
http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.
The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing
authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof
that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a
course that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a
federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms
instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as
knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority or by the
state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other
document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that
the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.
As an alternative way of fully satisfying this requirement, an applicant may
personally demonstrate knowledge of handgun safety to an issuing authority, if
the issuing authority is willing to evaluate an applicant's personal demonstration
of such knowledge. The issuing authority is not required to offer this 2nd option.
The demonstration of knowledge of handgun safety to the issuing authority
may not be required of any applicant who holds a valid State permit to carry a
concealed firearm as of April 15, 1990 or of any applicant who was or is in any
of the Armed Forces of the United States and has received at least basic
firearms training."

Back
Top Bottom