Maine & NH on just an MA LTC?

Con Carry means just that, they recognize the 2nd Amendment. NO permit required for open or concealed carry on person even if in a vehicle.

Ok thanks! Question I think you're the person who'd know, if you were to get a firearm stolen from your vehicle in NH, would that endanger your 'suitability' back in MA?

Ok thanks! Question I think you're the person who'd know, if you were to get a firearm stolen from your vehicle in NH, would that endanger your 'suitability' back in MA?

Anything you do or don't do anywhere can endanger your LTC in MA if you have an a-hole chief and were negligent. Try not to get a gun stolen when in any state. It's usually not hard to take preventative steps.

I was just going to ask what was required for constitutional carry in ME. My wife and I are heading up there this weekend for the PumpkinMan Triathlon.

I obviously realized that CC means just that. But I wasn't sure if you had to have another photo ID on your for example.

Anyone else going??

Don

Note: extraterrestrials are prohibited from carrying a weapon in Maine

I was just going to ask what was required for constitutional carry in ME. ... I obviously realized that CC means just that. But I wasn't sure if you had to have another photo ID on your for example.
Here's the official ME summary, including CC "duty to inform" and age minimum.

While it could be a hassle, I don't see any requirement to carry ID at all in ME or NH? CC applies to residents and non-residents (I suppose you might be asked to prove you are a person at least 21 years old in Maine), and NH law explicitly says "..resident, nonresident, or alien if that individual is not otherwise prohibited..."

After reading the link, it appears that the biggest issue with carrying without a license in ME is the duty to inform.

They make exceptions for those with RESIDENT permits from reciprocal states. In other words, my FL or NH non-res permit doesn't do me any good there.

Thanks for the link. I'm always a big fan of reading primary documentation.

Don

After reading the link, it appears that the biggest issue with carrying without a license in ME is the duty to inform.

Thanks for the link. I'm always a big fan of reading primary documentation.

Don

Another big issue in addition to duty to inform is that carrying in a ME state park and Arcadia National Park is not allowed w/o license.

Another big issue in addition to duty to inform is that carrying in a ME state park and Arcadia National Park is not allowed w/o license.

Not really a "big" issue, you make it sound like merely going into the forest makes them illegal. ANP is huge but the state of maine is even bigger. In most of the touristy areas in Maine it's also pretty easy to avoid the police. I've never been stopped there, not even once. (although ill concede some of the rural towns can be total dbags, theres some windy roads that the locals will go all waffen SS on.... )

-Mike

Not really a "big" issue, you make it sound like merely going into the forest makes them illegal. ANP is huge but the state of maine is even bigger. In most of the touristy areas in Maine it's also pretty easy to avoid the police. I've never been stopped there, not even once. (although ill concede some of the rural towns can be total dbags, theres some windy roads that the locals will go all waffen SS on.... )

-Mike

Mike, I wasn't trying to make it a "big issue." I only added it in case Don missed it earlier in the thread, so no need for the drama about "going into the forest" being illegal.

Reading through this topic... thanks guys for the info! I am a MA LTC holder and will be travelling through NH into ME with 2 guns this weekend. I'd like to carry 1 and transport the other. Sounds like I have no issues carrying in NH or ME.

As far as transporting through MA and NH, for my 2nd firearm I want to be certain. Everything I've read says it needs to be locked and unloaded. Can it be locked with a trigger lock and inside a locked container with magazines/ammo? Or does the ammo need to somehow be separate from the firearm? Some people have suggested to me that the ammo must be in a separate locked container but I'm not certain on that.

This might be plain as day for most of you, but I'm still very green on gun laws and trying to educate myself, want to make sure I'm not inadvertently breaking any laws.

Thanks in advance guys.

As far as transporting through MA and NH, for my 2nd firearm I want to be certain. Everything I've read says it needs to be locked and unloaded. Can it be locked with a trigger lock and inside a locked container with magazines/ammo? Or does the ammo need to somehow be separate from the firearm? Some people have suggested to me that the ammo must be in a separate locked container but I'm not certain on that.
What is your 2nd firearm? Pistol?

No special laws about transporting ammo or pistols in NH.

Last edited:
I'm
What is your 2nd firearm? Pistol?

No special laws about transporting a ammo or pistols in NH; for a long arm in a motor vehicle see RSA 207:7; unloaded means not in the gun, nor in a magazine attached to the gun.

I'm sorry, they are both pistols.

Let me ask a dumb question. Everything I've read just says the gun must be locked and unloaded, locked in a trunk or if there is no trunk then in a locked container.

if the ammo doesn't need to be separated from the gun, if the gun and loaded magazine can be locked in a single container, what's the point of having the gun unloaded in the first place?

if the ammo doesn't need to be separated from the gun, if the gun and loaded magazine can be locked in a single container, what's the point of having the gun unloaded in the first place?
At a guess, it's to slow down someone who decides he's going to take a shot a the police officer who stopped him, in order to give the officer more time to respond.

Let me ask a dumb question. Everything I've read just says the gun must be locked and unloaded, locked in a trunk or if there is no trunk then in a locked container.

Nothing needs to be locked anywhere, anyhow, anywhy.

Generally the only law re transport in most of these statesis that long guns must be unloaded for transport. Unloaded means nothing in the chamber and an empty mag. You can drive down the highway in these states with an AR15 across your lap and a loaded magazine in your hand. Until you pu tthe mag in the gun, you are in compliance with the law.

Theses no loaded long gun laws typically have their genesis around anti-poaching regulations. i.e. Shooting deer from the shoulder of a highway.

Don

I think everything you've read must be referring to the transport of firearms through a state where you wouldn't otherwise be legal to possess them. That's part of the federal Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986; it's a "safe passage in interstate commerce" law.

This thread is about being able to carry in NH and ME. Neither has any license requirement nor storage requirements.

You don't have to send them a copy of your home state in New Hampshire. They don't require that you have a permit in your home state to get a non-resident.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
They did the first two times I applied. This last time they didn't.

Generally speaking, in order to get a non-res permit from a state you must submit:

1) Fingerprints and a copy of some proof of training. Typically NRA Basic Pistol.
or
2) A copy of your resident carry permit.

This is because most states need to confirm
1) who you are
2) proof of training.

Of course some states don't require proof of training anymore, but this is pretty recent.

Wow, glad that I came upon this thread.

As a MA resident with an LTC I knew that I didn't need a non-resident Maine permit anymore to carry in that state. I DID NOT know that NH is the same now. My NH non-resident permit expired and I was about to renew it.

When did NH change, anyone have the law that I can read?

Last edited:
Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1996 requires local-state issued permit

Having the NH card does get your reciprocity with six additional states (including Pennsylvania and West Virginia) and exempts you from the Federal GFSZ act while in NH, so it's not entirely valueless.

PA does not give reciprocity to NH non-resident permits. WV is constitutional carry so a NH permit is useless.

In ME, if you don't have a ME license or license from a state that ME recognizes, and you are pulled over with the firearm in a locked container (say I started my trip in MA with the gun in a locked container in my trunk), do you need to inform LEO if stopped, or is inform only if CC on person?
If asked directly, don't lie, but don't volunteer information

Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire have no requirement to inform when you are transporting an unloaded firearm, whether it is in a locked container or not. If asked directly about what's in the back, don't lie, but don't volunteer anything not required by law.

In the case of Maine, I can believe that's true as you stated for mere transport,
but it's false for concealed carry (not that you said it was also true).

That is,
if the cops stop you in Maine
while you are concealed carrying a handgun,
and you don't have a Maine CCW permit,
then you still have a duty to inform
even if the handgun is unloaded.

MRSA §2003-A. Duty to inform law enforcement

When an individual who is carrying a concealed handgun ... and who does not have a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that has been issued as provided in this chapter first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer ... during the course of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop, that individual shall immediately inform that law enforcement officer of the fact that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun.

Stipulated: Sure, sure - who prefers to concealed carry unloaded?

But I misread your post several times as applying to concealed carry.
My bad.

But God forbid some NESer misreads it the same way;
decides that Condition Four is a wallhack to not informing;
and gets outed with an undeclared CCW during a Terry frisk.

That would be so bad that I wanted to beat this dead horse.

That is,
if the cops stop you in Maine
while you are concealed carrying a handgun,
and you don't have a Maine CCW permit,
then you still have a duty to inform
even if the handgun is unloaded.

This statement is not completely accurate either. A person is also covered that has a license issued by a state that Maine accepts. Like, for example, a NH resident P&R license. A NH resident, with a NH license is NOT required to inform.

... if the cops stop you in Maine while you are concealed carrying a handgun, and you don't have a Maine CCW permit, then you still have a duty to inform even if the handgun is unloaded.
This statement is not completely accurate either. A person is also covered that has a license issued by a state that Maine accepts. Like, for example, a NH resident P&R license. A NH resident, with a NH license is NOT required to inform.

Cite, thanks?

Because I'm not seeing any part of Ch. 25 which defines an NH resident P&RL as "... a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that has been issued as provided in [Chapter 25]".

Thanks very much for the quick response.

You cited a bill that changed §2001-A to read (in part):

§2001-A. Threatening display of or carrying concealed weapon
1. Display or carrying prohibited. A person may not, unless excepted by a provision of law:
A. Display in a threatening manner a firearm, ...
B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, ..
2. Exceptions. The provisions of this section concerning the carrying of concealed weapons do not apply to: ...
F. A handgun carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun has been issued by that person's state of residence if that person's state of residence honors a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued under this chapter;

(Emphasis mine).

That doesn't relieve NH resident P&RL licensees
of the duty to notify police during a Maine traffic stop.

The duty to inform law enforcement is located in §2003-A.

The exception in 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§2, ¶F
modifies 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§1,
but not 25 MRSA §2003-A.

Cite, thanks?

Because I'm not seeing any part of Ch. 25 which defines an NH resident P&RL as "... a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that has been issued as provided in [Chapter 25]".

A NH Resident P&R License IS a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun in Maine.

F. A handgun carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun has been issued by that person's state of residence if that person's state of residence honors a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued under this chapter;

This is called Reciprocity. You really need to get out of the so called ma**h*** line of thinking, since MA doesn't allow Reciprocity with anyone.

Back
Top Bottom