• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine & NH on just an MA LTC?

With the latest round of CC laws passing, can I conceal carry loaded in Maine and New Hampshire with just an MA LTC?

I've done searching and see old references to open carry (loaded or unloaded I can't remember) or locked in trunk etc...
Just looking for the latest info, planning a trip and I'd rather carry but don't want to get jammed up.

In Maine fo sho, if NH changed I didnt catch it, but at the very least OC in NH, and you dont need a MA LTC in either state, Constitutional carry

Actually Im pretty sure NH (concealed) as well, but hopefully someone from the live free or jump off the old man in the mountains former face will chime in.

For Maine, while those without a permit will not be permitted to carry a handgun into state parks, Acadia National Park or inside their vehicles on work premises, those with a concealed carry permit can legally do so. Additionally, people with no permit must immediately inform any law enforcement officer they encounter during an arrest or routine stop that they have a concealed gun. NH you're all set too as GPP said it's CC now.

New Hampshire Statute 159:6(III) provides that "The availability of a license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver under this section or under any other provision of law shall not be construed to impose a prohibition on the unlicensed transport or carry of a firearm in a vehicle, or on or about one’s person, whether openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded, by a resident, nonresident, or alien if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by statute from possessing a firearm in the state of New Hampshire."

New Hampshire Statute 159:6(III) provides that "The availability of a license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver under this section or under any other provision of law shall not be construed to impose a prohibition on the unlicensed transport or carry of a firearm in a vehicle, or on or about one’s person, whether openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded, by a resident, nonresident, or alien if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by statute from possessing a firearm in the state of New Hampshire."

That seems pretty clear for NH. My parents live there so I guess I can carry when I visit (I just have to unload it and lock it in the trunk when driving through MA I guess).

With the latest round of CC laws passing, can I conceal carry loaded in Maine and New Hampshire with just an MA LTC?

I've done searching and see old references to open carry (loaded or unloaded I can't remember) or locked in trunk etc...
Just looking for the latest info, planning a trip and I'd rather carry but don't want to get jammed up.

www.handgunlaw.us

Maine & NH on just an MA LTC?

NH full constitutional carry, just like VT. ME is constitutional carry but you cannot carry sans license in Acadia Nat Park. Also, with Maine you MUST inform the police that you are carrying upon first interaction (i.e. when getting pulled over) if you do not have a Maine issued license.

It felt pretty nice carrying all the way up to Bangor to the Tool show last week without a worry.

Has CT/RI passed this same law? Just ME & NH as of now? (at least locally)

CT? [rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

That would be a big no now and forever my friend. That said, CT is not hard to get a carry permit which allows concealed or open carry as long as you don't live in a liberal craphole of a town. It's not cheap and you have to jump through some hoops but you pretty much always get approved and there are no restricted permits, they are all the same. I think a non-res permit in CT is not too bad either. In fact I've heard it's easier than getting a CT resident permit but don't quote me.

NH full constitutional carry, just like VT. ME is constitutional carry but you cannot carry sans license in Acadia Nat Park. Also, with Maine you MUST inform the police that you are carrying upon first interaction (i.e. when getting pulled over) if you do not have a Maine issued license.

It felt pretty nice carrying all the way up to Bangor to the Tool show last week without a worry.
I just spent the weekend camping in NH and VT. So, sooooo nice not to have to worry about a licence.

Heeeeyyyyy Len?

You rang? [wink]

For Maine, while those without a permit will not be permitted to carry a handgun into state parks, Acadia National Park or inside their vehicles on work premises, those with a concealed carry permit can legally do so. Additionally, people with no permit must immediately inform any law enforcement officer they encounter during an arrest or routine stop that they have a concealed gun. NH you're all set too as GPP said it's CC now.

Covered it very nicely.

One caveat with NH. No NH license means you can NOT carry on an ATV. With the NH license you can carry on an ATV.

Massachusetts' LTC is meaningless in Maine and New Hampshire, gives zero additional status.

Well put.

Nh and maine are full constitutional carry

Not quite, see above comments by bigpick and myself.

Just to be clear, can you carry concealed in NH and Maine with MA LTC? I will be driving up to NH in a couple of weeks.

No offense, but do you live under a rock? Both of these states are now basically free by default, no "MA LTC required". Your MA LTC has 0 relevance in either of these states.

ME:
must notify LE w/o permit
cannot carry in acadia national park without permit

NH:
No ATV carry w/o permit
No school carry w/o permit because GFSZ (NH doesnt explicitly ban school carry, yet, but if you have no P/R license you can't do it because federal law).

All of upper New England is basically unlocked at this point. (VT was always free by default, long as I can remember. )

-Mike

All that keeps a MA LTC from being recognized by the rest of N.NE is .. MA itself

New Hampshire and Maine both have streamlined reciprocity in state law, will recognize a resident CHL from any state which recognizes our resident carry license.

IOW, the only thing keeping a Massachusetts LTC from being recognized by a dozen additional states is... Massachusetts.

Back
Top Bottom