Maine Man Pleads Guilty to Possession of Unregistered Oil Filter.

He, like a great percent of the population was probably not aware of the NFA regs. Being in Maine, he could have registered it on a Form1. Or maybe he did know and didn't want to pony up the $200. Altho he broke the laws, the penalties for doing this sort of thing are just too damn stiff. Jack.
Article states he admitted to knowing the regulation.

He's f***ed

Clearly the guy is not too bright. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know to shut the f*** up till you talk to a lawyer. Being naive of the law probably won't keep you from getting convicted.....but could help out greatly during sentencing.

Well it's clearly not a functioning suppressor so if he had a good lawyer, he should be able to avoid the charges. [rofl2]

An even better lawyer would argue that the suppressor works just fine but the idiot loaded up with some super sonic ammo from a wally world bulk pack. It would quiet the noise from the muzzle blast a little but as soon as that projo breaks 1140fps there's going to be noise. I'd be willing to bet that the libtard neighbors that called the cops are the reason he put it on in the first place. Plenty of stupid to go around on this one.

I was partially being smart, but also, faux suppressors and muzzle devices are legal. That should have been his defense. It’s just cosmetic

He, like a great percent of the population was probably not aware of the NFA regs. Being in Maine, he could have registered it on a Form1. Or maybe he did know and didn't want to pony up the $200. Altho he broke the laws, the penalties for doing this sort of thing are just too damn stiff. Jack.

Is it possible to register a suppressor that you already have? Would doing so be an admission that you currently own a suppressor that is not registered? If you buy one, you can't take possession of it until the registration has first been completed.

Is it possible to register a suppressor that you already have? Would doing so be an admission that you currently own a suppressor that is not registered? If you buy one, you can't take possession of it until the registration has first been completed.
Well, if you are not a mfr you design the thing and file the Form1 with a drawing (in free states). When you get the OK you build it. What you do in the wood shed, under a tarp, at night, who knows? Jack.

Years ago, IIRC in the Shotgun News, there were ads for an adapter that would go from the threads on the muzzle-end of your barrel, to threads that would mate up with a 2-liter bottle.

There was a disclaimer: if you attach a bottle to your gun you have to register your bottle with the ATF. [laugh]

While I was helping my older daughter clean her heavy-barreled bolt-action Savage .22, I removed the muzzle cap to clean and lubricate the threads on the barrel. Being a curious 6 year old, little Jill wanted to know why those "twisty things" were on her rifle. I just told her that they were for improvements when she got older. I did not want to discuss Class 3 devices that are illegal here in MA. A casual conversation at her school could lead to serious problems for us.

Thinking about tossing one of those filter adapter things into my local autozone and see if they get charged with 6000 counts of having unregistered suppressors

PSA: Anyone in possession of a bumpstock is on the same level of felony as this guy. Well actually bumpstock is worse because while you can get a tax stamp for a suppressor, you can't for a bumpstock.

Just to put things in perspective, and think of all the people who were murdered by government agent enforcing NFA (Vicki Weaver and all who died in Waco, to name a few).

Just to put things in perspective, and think of all the people who were murdered by government agent enforcing NFA (Vicki Weaver and all who died in Waco, to name a few).
It's this kind of thing that really pisses me off with all the laws and regulations. When something like the Mossberg Shockwave exists today and it was sawed off shotguns that started the Randy Weaver and Ruby Ridge snowball, it's like, what was the f***ing point? "Oh, these shotguns with short barrels are too dangerous for people to own without going through gov't regulations and bureaucracy, but THESE 'firearms' are okay because they left the factory with an OAL over 26 inches."

Yeah, that legal bullcrap is worth three people getting killed for and costing millions of dollars in taxpayer money with legal summons, deployment of hundreds of field agents, the national guard getting called out, the robot with the remote triggered shotgun they tried to trick Randy into believing had a phone to negotiate, the trials against Weaver and Harris, the gov't investigation into the standoff and tactics, and the settlement payments for the deaths of Vicki and Sam and Harris' injuries.

The same thing can be said for Prohibition. All the people killed, all the property damage, all the taxpayer money funding operations to enforce prohibition of alcohol and after 14 years it's repealed.

"Oops, sorry for all this chaos this caused, we didn't think this one through. Here, have a drink on us to remember all those who died."

Well, half of the population has less than average intelligence, and you need a lawyer to understand all the state/local/federal laws, regs, statutes, case law, etc.

It's not really reasonable to expect people to be able to follow our laws when they couldn't easily be explained to and understood by the layperson.

Back
Top Bottom