Maine Gun Laws For Out of Staters

Not the land of the free but the home of the brave
Hi all, I'm planning on getting a vacation place in Maine with interntions to live there permanently and was wondering what the requirements are for posessing firearms for out of staters? Can I keep my firearms legally in my house without a license? What about a pistol? Is there anything else I should know?
Thanks in advance for you input.

Last edited:
Its like most other free states, don't conceal carry without a permit and you can own what you want for both pistols and rifles.

Hi all, I'm planning on getting a vacation place in Maine with interntions to live there permanently and was wondering what the requirements are for posessing firearms for out of staters? Can I keep my firearms legally in my house without a license? What about a pistol? Is there anything else I should know?
Thanks in advance for you input.

Yes
Yes
Dont CC without a permit
You can put your unloaded rifles in a gun rack. transport in car unloaded in plain View or locked in trunk. Unless you have CC permit then you can possess it loaded on you
No possession of firearm on school property
No firearm in a place that serves liquor if posted otherwise your cool
IN BAXTER no firearms period
Open carry legal
Gotta be at least 18 to transport an unloaded handgun in your car
Otherwise all is good. Hell I pulled up next to the local police in my area of maine with my jeep, gun rack across the roof stocked with 2 ARs they just waved and smiled. In Mass id still be in Jail....

One edit

When you get your place in maine you can enjoy the ability to order ammo etc online and delivered to your door :)

Sent from the blind

Wow thanks guys! I cannot imagine what it will be like not to be treated like I’m a criminal for exercising my constitutional rights.

And one last question. Where can you shoot your guns? The place I’m looking at has over an acre but is not safe for shooting more than an air rifle or skeet.

Wow thanks guys! I cannot imagine what it will be like not to be treated like I’m a criminal for exercising my constitutional rights.

And one last question. Where can you shoot your guns? The place I’m looking at has over an acre but is not safe for shooting more than an air rifle or skeet.

You might want to find a place with more than one acre, what county you going to? Or town if town if you care to share. Ive been up there for over 10 yrs so might be able to point you in the right direction. Pm if you want to keep it private.

Sent from the blind

I still have family responsibilities here so trying to stay as far south as possible in York county above the Berwicks for lower taxes. Maybe as far north as Parsonsfield. Don't get me wrong I would like as much land as possible but reasonably anything countryish is way better than here if you know what I mean.

Im a member of the south berwick club, nice range for shooting outdoors. Separate pistol and rifle, with 50 100 and 200 yds. Im in york county but also have about 100 acres in parsonsfield for hunting and shooting :)

Sent from the blind

IN BAXTER no firearms period
Any idea why this is? I would assume there is quite a bit of wildlife in that area. Only asking because I've been kicking around the idea of hiking up Katahdin and originally I wanted to bring a gun... not anymore.

Get a maine concealed license.
I got one because i hunt in maine....however i then realized that when armed w a 12pump shotgun, a stupid IWB 9mm is probably uneccesary so now i just carry extra bug repellant hahaha.

Any idea why this is? I would assume there is quite a bit of wildlife in that area. Only asking because I've been kicking around the idea of hiking up Katahdin and originally I wanted to bring a gun... not anymore.

Its been a rule there for years. I hike there but also carry a large can of bear spray. I leave my sidearm locked in the truck, which is ok there as well as transporting thru the park in your car.

Sent from the blind

18 years here.
You can keep all the non MA guns you like up here.
Cans are OK after the NFA stamp.
Hunt with a loaded sidearm in any season if you have a CCP. Hell I've shot game birds with a Mod41.
Sleep with a loaded unlocked pistol on top of your night stand. It's safer.

If you make a 911 call you might wait a while.

I was born and raised in maine, lived in VA and FL for a bit but am back in Maine now and I can't imagine the way mass laws are. Laws are very lax, as long as you aren't stupid most of the laws are just federal laws. You can own just about anything you are federally allowed to and have tax stamps for. Get a concealed carry permit and there is very little you can't do. Funny that with so little gun laws maine has one of the lowest rates of gun violence in the US. Guess the anti gun idiots neglect to mention that. I am in northern kennebec county there's more city and less land south of richmond on 95, once you get north of richmond you will find lots of land. Anyway good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

Corinna...deer country open and wide. Shoot on your own land till you run out of ammo!!! Just saying

Sent from the blind

Back
Top Bottom