• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine gun bill would allow concealed weapons without permit

Anyone can now conceal carry in ME without a license. If you don't have a NH P&R you need to inform a cop you're carrying if you get pulled over.

I wasn't aware that an NH P&R counted as a "permit". I would figure that "permit" would be either a real maine license or a license from a state that ME actually has reciprocity with, and Maine isn't one of them. Otherwise nobody would have bothered to get a Maine license.

-Mike

The south Portland PD says no carry in Acadia National Park without a license. Is that true along with state parks?
That was the old (2009) state law. From what I have seen it is not clear whether the new Constitutional carry law now trumps the old law.

You can carry in Acadia NP, as long as you comply with fed, state and local laws. Cannot carry in certain/most park buildings though. So, it now seem seems that the new constitutional ME carry is ok in Acadia NP (but not buildings still of course).

You can carry in Acadia NP, as long as you comply with fed, state and local laws. Cannot carry in certain/most park buildings though. So, it now seem seems that the new constitutional ME carry is ok in Acadia NP.

except that the local/state law says it's illegal to carry in ANP.

You can carry in Acadia NP, as long as you comply with fed, state and local laws. Cannot carry in certain/most park buildings though. So, it now seem seems that the new constitutional ME carry is ok in Acadia NP (but not buildings still of course).
Does a porta potty count as a park building? What if I need to take a dump?

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

The restriction on carry in posted bars is vague.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/17-A/title17-Asec1057.html

Seems like you'll be fine unless you open carry or are a moron.

1.* * A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm if:
A. Not being a law enforcement officer or a professional investigator licensed under Title 32, chapter 89 and actually performing as a professional investigator, the person possesses any firearm on the premises of a licensed establishment posted to prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of patrons, in violation of the posted prohibition or restriction; or [2011, c. 366, §2 (AMD).]

Anyone can now conceal carry in ME without a license. If you don't have a NH P&R you need to inform a cop you're carrying if you get pulled over.

Wait, so a Non Res NH permit counts as a permit in ME for a non Resident? (confused)

Wait, so a Non Res NH permit counts as a permit in ME for a non Resident? (confused)

Non-resident MA/NH permits mean nothing in ME. It's Constitutional carry, as long as you're not a prohibited person. There are several stipulations, which have been discussed here and in other threads.

Non-resident MA/NH permits mean nothing in ME. It's Constitutional carry, as long as you're not a prohibited person. There are several stipulations, which have been discussed here and in other threads.

That's what I thought (and read here), but above there were two references to NH permits (which I have).

Anyone know if/when Maine and NH will honor each other's permits? Maine apparently has new reciprocity wording, which closely matches that of NH.

I wasn't aware that an NH P&R counted as a "permit". I would figure that "permit" would be either a real maine license or a license from a state that ME actually has reciprocity with, and Maine isn't one of them. Otherwise nobody would have bothered to get a Maine license.

-Mike

While Maine updated their reciprocity law to be substantially similar to the NH one, neither state has an "agreement" and thus you cannot carry in NH on a Maine resident CCW permit nor can you carry in Maine using an NH resident P&R license.

However, since Maine is permitless carry now, an NH resident can carry in Maine, no permit required. The caveat is that you have to notify an officer immediately that you are carrying during any detainment (such as a traffic stop).

This was posted before but I will post it again, this is the summary of the law from the Maine State Police. http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Summaryoflaw.pdf

Where you cannot carry:

The law does not otherwise change where a person may carry or who may possess a firearm. It will still be illegal to possess a firearm in the following places, with some very limited exceptions:
· Courthouses (17-A M.R.S. § 1058)
· State Parks (12 M.R.S. § 1803(6), (7) and Bureau of Parks and Lands Rules Chapter 1)
· Acadia National Park (12 M.R.S. § 756)
· Schools (20-A M.R.S. § 6552)
· Federal buildings (18 U.S.C. § 930)
· State Capitol area (25 M.R.S. § 2904 & DPS Rule Chapter 41)
· Private property when prohibited by the property owner
· Establishments licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor, if the premises are posted. Note that even if there is no posted prohibition, it is illegal to carry on these premises while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs. (17-A M.R.S. §1057)

Note that the optional Maine CCW permit expands places you can carry:

There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will authorize the permittee to in certain locations or during an activity when an unpermitted person could not:
· Acadia National Park (Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
· State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
· Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
· Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)

" Did you read the PDF above? "

That is now outdated. I guess ONLY if you have a permit anyways. I stand corrected. Sorry.

Last edited:
Too much thinking going on here in regards to cc while in a state park.

If you think you need to be carrying while on the park, is a stupid regulation going to stop you? I guess I'd rather have it with me and plead ignorance if the worst case scenario arises. Let's face it: that's the only way anybody would or should ever know you have it on you.
Concealed means concealed.
Exercising a little civil disobedience once in a while.

Not that I'm suggesting anybody break the law. Wouldn't dream of it.

Did you read the PDF above?
Thanks. My questioning was based on a number of news and web reports contemporary to the debate and signing of the bill that expressed uncertainty as to whether Constitutional carry would apply in Acadia NP. It appears the official guidance in the referenced .pdf is that ConCarry is not allowed in ANP. I suspect they're interpreting "unless other prohibited" to include previously (and subsequently) defined prohibited places, not just prohibited persons.

Last edited:
While Maine updated their reciprocity law to be substantially similar to the NH one, neither state has an "agreement" and thus you cannot carry in NH on a Maine resident CCW permit nor can you carry in Maine using an NH resident P&R license.

I know that. I was asking if anyone knew whether or not NH and ME plan to enter into agreement, and when that might be if they do.

I know that. I was asking if anyone knew whether or not NH and ME plan to enter into agreement, and when that might be if they do.

I sent the NH DoS commissioner an email informing him of the new Maine law on reciprocity. He acknowledged it but said that the head of the NHSP handles it (who was CC'ed) when they get information regarding new laws that have been passed around the country. That was several months ago.

I suspect that as is usually the case with government, NH and Maine will not have reciprocity until after the new year since no work was done on it because the law wasn't officially in effect until today.

Basically, the NH and Maine government will operate at typical government efficiency (read: deathly slow) regarding reciprocity.

This in this morning, Chief Sux Cork really shouldn't be talking if his mouth is full.

Interim Sheriff Trying it in the Rear again is.... well what can be said for him.

"This is a poor piece of legislation that we're all about to suffer through,” Portland Police Chief Mike Sauschuck told local news station WCSH6.

Ryan Reardon, Interim Kennebec County Sheriff, said he has "some concern" but supports the law overall. “I think the scrutiny for weapons should be at the point of purchase,” he told the Portland Press Herald.

I think these statements are always very good for the 2a side. Let them proclaim their will be blood in the streets, sky is falling. When it doesn't as we all know things will be unchanged, it makes them look like fools. Look at all the blood in the streets fear mongering with the AWB expiration back in '04. Nothing happened, in fact gun crimes keep going down.

The more they talk,the better it is for us. All the do is lie so I want them to keep talking and killing their terrible credibility even more than it is now.

“You folks live in a seven-second fiction world. I live in 24-hour reality"

That's learned wisdom right there. Hope he measures his response going forward. Still a fan. I think his no nonsense approach is much needed in modern politics, especially as a governor with real responsibilities.

Wait, so the streets aren't running red with the blood of Maine citizens yet? Wasn't that what was supposed to happen if this bill passed? You mean, the fact that you no longer need a permit didn't cause thousand of Maniacs to run out into the streets and shoot every man, woman, and child they saw? I'm shocked I tell you, just shocked.

[rolleyes]

When I called the Maine State Police to renew my non-res. LTC, I was told I didn't need one anymore unless I wanted to carry in Acadia and a few other places.

Back
Top Bottom