• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine’s North Woods bracing for busy months of bear and moose hunting

The group that oversees huge tracts of the state’s industrial forest is warning hunters and other potential travelers to expect plenty of company in the coming weeks, and is asking for visitors to be considerate during their trips to northern Maine. “While the woods were not very busy in May due to the virus, traffic picked up in June and use in July was 30 percent over last July,” said Al Cowperthwaite, executive director of North Maine Woods Inc. “All indications point to a very busy fall.”

Staycations or local regional vacations, folks on furlough or reduced hours, limited recreation options. It's not just the Maine woods- I've seen a huge increase in outdoor activity here in north central Mass. I live on the edge of miles of woods and conservation land with hiking trails and the traffic has greatly increased since the Wu Flu madness started.

HUUUUUUGE. . . . tracts of land.

CookedGlassFlyingsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Stupid article. Makes no mention of the number of hunting licenses obtained YOY, which would have been the best metric for # of expected hunters. The author writes his whole thesis on the fact there have been more campers. So the Moose lottery grew a bit. But it's still a ridiculously low # given to non-residents.

Staycations or local regional vacations, folks on furlough or reduced hours, limited recreation options. It's not just the Maine woods- I've seen a huge increase in outdoor activity here in north central Mass. I live on the edge of miles of woods and conservation land with hiking trails and the traffic has greatly increased since the Wu Flu madness started.
White mountains are seeing the same. TONS of day trippers clogging all the popular attractions, leaving trash all over the place.

Is this way every where. All the places I go off roading out west have seen a remarkable increase in traffic. Which leads to trail and wild life abuse, increased trash, and unfortunately accidents. A good friend got very lucky in SW Colorado. The shelf road collapsed on him and his vehicle rolled. Somehow not very far. They only sustained minor injuries.

Good news. I was listening to the MeatEater podcast. OnX now has OnX-Offroad for ATV'ers. ROFL!!!

All the time Steve is hawking it, I'm thinking, "Is this the best podcast to be advertising this?? Do hunters really want hundreds more ATV's screaming down trails when they are trying to stalk game?"

White mountains are seeing the same. TONS of day trippers clogging all the popular attractions, leaving trash all over the place.

I see it every time I am up there, it is quite aggravating.

Here in my small town, the beach on the lake is being thrashed every weekend. It is worst then I have seen it in the 7 years I have lived here. The old timers in town are blaming the influx of Air BnB'rs.

I see it every time I am up there, it is quite aggravating.

Here in my small town, the beach on the lake is being thrashed every weekend. It is worst then I have seen it in the 7 years I have lived here. The old timers in town are blaming the influx of Air BnB'rs.
Pretty sad the pigs are bring their bad habits with them Air BnBers or not. Don't trash our pristine areas making it look like the shit you left behind.
I'm just glad our HOA beach area does not allow renters to use it. Owners must be present. No exceptions. While I generally don't care for HOA's ours is pretty lax except when it comes to the beach. Talk about Nazis!!! Damn you'd think they own the place sometimes but if it keeps the pigs away I'm all for it. Best 35.00/yr I spend and I don't even use the beach.
People just suck.

1) ATV trails are well established.

2) It's probably not a good idea to be shooting near established trails OHRV or not.

3) Many of the ATV and snowmobile clubs (most are hunters themselves) are sensitive to the needs of hunters and close their systems during peak hunting season. For example, Pittsburg NH closes their ATV trails Sept 30 and the snow trails won't open until a minimum of Dec 15. Thats a solid week of padding on either side of peak hunting dates.

Do hunters really want hundreds more ATV's screaming down trails when they are trying to stalk game?"

Back
Top Bottom