• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mailing firearm to the manufacturer?

woods9c5

NES Member
In Mass am I aloud to mail a bolt action rifle back to the manufacturer without an ffl? Sending one to ruger and they asked me rather than telling me. Thanks.

In Mass am I aloud to mail a bolt action rifle back to the manufacturer without an ffl? Sending one to ruger and they asked me rather than telling me. Thanks.
No issue at all. Slap a shipping label on the box and drop it off at Fedex or UPS. I shipped my mini 14 back to them for an underlying issue and for some reason they sent me a brand new one with the 5 rd mag back to me.

Sure you can. I sent a Walther pistol and a Ruger rifle back to the manufactures for warranty service.

In both cases they sent a prepaid return label. They didn't go USPS, it was either Fedex or UPS. When the
work was done they shipped them back to my home address.

If you want to follow UPS/FedEx policies you have to use a dealer to ship a firearm now. Unless you’re provided a prepaid shipping label from the manufacturer.

18 USC § 922(a)(2):

"It shall be unlawful for any . . . importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that—
(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector . . . ."

Back
Top Bottom