Mahindra Tractors

Pilgrim

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Use a block heater in the cold, most wear and tear happens during cold startup.

Not worried about it. I'm sure it turned over so easily because of the synth oil i put in it. The starter turned over as effortlessly as if it were summer. That and the fact that a diesel doesn't have a choke to cause high rpms while the engine warms up.

I'm sure the oil gets where it needs to go very quickly.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I have a battery tender to put on it but decided not to that night, just to see what happened. I put Howe's additive every time I fill my 5 gallon can. I don't worry about summer/winter blends either.

How many hours on your bota now?
85. Don't go up much in Summer, probably hit 100 by Halloween.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not worried about it. I'm sure it turned over so easily because of the synth oil i put in it. The starter turned over as effortlessly as if it were summer. That and the fact that a diesel doesn't have a choke to cause high rpms while the engine warms up.

I'm sure the oil gets where it needs to go very quickly.
I get what your saying but it's a proven fact by diesel mechanics. Some will say it doesn't matter but they are the type that doesn't take care of their equipment. Any person or company that owns their own equipment that wants it to last a long time will have some method of pre warming.

Your fortunate enough to have a pre tier 4 emissions tractor. Tier 4 requires high RPM at all times as well as limiting idle time. It's basically the opposite of what we were all taught about diesels long ago. Ideling or operating at low RPMs will require the engine to regenerate more often.

You have a nice tractor my friend, take care of it and it will last you a lifetime most likely more. Plugging it in for 20 mins is zero effort on your end.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I'm bringing this back up to the top being in search of an attachment.

I've bought a really nice JD 2013 4720 (cab) with a 400CX loader and then added Normand 82" inverted snowblower running off a Fasse valve I installed. I still need a Bush Hog and a logging winch. I've searched the forum areas as there winch was for sale a little while back. Does anyone recall who was selling it? I recall it being only used on his personal lot.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm bringing this back up to the top being in search of an attachment.

I've bought a really nice JD 2013 4720 (cab) with a 400CX loader and then added Normand 82" inverted snowblower running off a Fasse valve I installed. I still need a Bush Hog and a logging winch. I've searched the forum areas as there winch was for sale a little while back. Does anyone recall who was selling it? I recall it being only used on his personal lot.
logging/skidding winch? I saw that the good ones are $$$. It's a good accessory for sure.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
logging/skidding winch? I saw that the good ones are $$$. It's a good accessory for sure.
The ones I'm seeing (Farmi, Norse, Wallenstein, Tajfun) are staying sort of down in price. The other option is a grapple but with all that framele$$ glass I don't think I want to cut everything down in order to get right up to fallen trees.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You can build your own logging setup a lot cheaper and lighter than the typical logging 3 pt setup. A simple 3 pt to 2" receiver attachment with a hook will work perfectly fine. If you need a winch one can be added onto it with minimal fabrication. If your dealing with some extremely steep grades dragging logs, then a log winch setup would be optimal.

I use what I described above without a winch and it works great. Drop the 3pt, chain it up tightly, raise the hitch, and off ya go. I've gone down some steep grades and the friction of the log against the ground has been enough to keep the log from slamming the rear of the tractor. I only use my little old tractor for logging so I can't haul what that JD could do.

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
You can build your own logging setup a lot cheaper and lighter than the typical logging 3 pt setup. A simple 3 pt to 2" receiver attachment with a hook will work perfectly fine. If you need a winch one can be added onto it with minimal fabrication. If your dealing with some extremely steep grades dragging logs, then a log winch setup would be optimal.

I use what I described above without a winch and it works great. Drop the 3pt, chain it up tightly, raise the hitch, and off ya go. I've gone down some steep grades and the friction of the log against the ground has been enough to keep the log from slamming the rear of the tractor. I only use my little old tractor for logging so I can't haul what that JD could do.
I've used both: what you are describing, and the Tajfun winch I now have.
The winch is way, way, way, way, way better.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have no doubt they are, I would like to have a grapple myself. For the $$$$ I just cant justify it personally. If I was in the logging biz I would have a skidder. For a little firewood where I get it from, my simple setup works just fine. If I had to drag logs up steep places I cant get the tractor into I would have a good log winch setup. Even then I would most likely build something with a hydraulic winch, but that's just me.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Talk to me about the Tajfun. How many hours? Any issues?
I'll be working it on 14 acres. I will be feeding a Tarm indoor wood boiler. I like my toys. [smile]

Manomet

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Go look at Artillian.com for JD improvements. They have a fork setup with a grapple and several other attachments that are bullet proof, light weight and very well engineered. The owner chris is super nice and helpfull and right here in Sutton, Ma.

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Talk to me about the Tajfun. How many hours? Any issues?
I'll be working it on 14 acres. I will be feeding a Tarm indoor wood boiler. I like my toys. [smile]
No issues at all. I don't have a ton of hours on it. Maybe 40 or so, but it's really nice. A Google search to their website will give a better outline of its attributes than I can. I have the 10000lb model.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Thanks Pat. I've spent a bit of time on the web and learned a few things the major being new versus used doesn't save a bunch of money. I take care of my stuff so if a 10-15% loss is the norm I might as well buy new. Prices are all well within reasonable to the brands I'm looking at minus an off brand (Woodland Mills) that is 1K lower.

Manomet. I will follow up with them for forks. Local company and my sister lives in town. I built my own set her at work but that machine stays here. They have been rock solid but the mounting plate options are not the same for the JD. Thanks for the lead.

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks Pat. I've spent a bit of time on the web and learned a few things the major being new versus used doesn't save a bunch of money. I take care of my stuff so if a 10-15% loss is the norm I might as well buy new. Prices are all well within reasonable to the brands I'm looking at minus an off brand (Woodland Mills) that is 1K lower.

Manomet. I will follow up with them for forks. Local company and my sister lives in town. I built my own set her at work but that machine stays here. They have been rock solid but the mounting plate options are not the same for the JD. Thanks for the lead.
To be honest, I don't think you can buy a "bad" winch. They're all pretty good. Fransgard was my other choice.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So my father is tractor shopping at the moment. He has a 25hp Foton TE254 (rebranded as Northern Tool) that is leaking hydraulic fluid from the multiway valve assembly because he has a mulch layer that is too heavy for the tractor. He's looking at a 2016 Mahindra 1538 (38hp) w/ FEL. He's on the fence because he is getting up in age and doesn't know how much longer he will be farming. If his current tractor had a FEL, he wouldn't care about the fluid leak. Does anybody know someone (or a company) that does onsite installs of FEL? He thinks he can still buy the FEL from Northern Tool (would be a lot cheaper than a new tractor)

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
So my father is tractor shopping at the moment. He has a 25hp Foton TE254 (rebranded as Northern Tool) that is leaking hydraulic fluid from the multiway valve assembly because he has a mulch layer that is too heavy for the tractor. He's looking at a 2016 Mahindra 1538 (38hp) w/ FEL. He's on the fence because he is getting up in age and doesn't know how much longer he will be farming. If his current tractor had a FEL, he wouldn't care about the fluid leak. Does anybody know someone (or a company) that does onsite installs of FEL? He thinks he can still buy the FEL from Northern Tool (would be a lot cheaper than a new tractor)
Do you mean the control valves for the loader? Should be able to be rebuilt (cheapest) or replaced (more expensive, but a lot cheaper than a new tractor).

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you mean the control valves for the loader? Should be able to be rebuilt (cheapest) or replaced (more expensive, but a lot cheaper than a new tractor).
Not for the loader, but the control valves for the 3-pt hitch. Looks to be about 10 seals

Top Bottom