• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mags at the ready

So that's what all those puppies are doing wrong. I guess they took the short bus to doggy obedience school.
. I got absolutely no clue WTF your saying but since I think your trying to be a funny guy please name one innocent person that got shot by the police doing random home searches looking for a killer at large, if they come knocking on your door if your even somewhat a little intelligent your going to be ok.

. I got absolutely no clue WTF your saying but since I think your trying to be a funny guy please name one innocent person that got shot by the police doing random home searches looking for a killer at large, if they come knocking on your door if your even somewhat a little intelligent your going to be ok.
I'd tell them to get a warrant. I'm not about to open up to anyone I don't know because "Muh Authorahtah".
Besides, if there's that many dudes in front of my house with rifles and shot guns it's not like I'd be going anywhere anyways...

...please name one innocent person that got shot by the police doing random home searches looking for fill in the blank...

Random home searches by law enforcement in a nation where the highest law of the land forbids "unreasonable and unwarranted searches and no warrant shall issue but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affidavit particularly describing the place to be searched and the persons or things to be seized." Unpossible.

Watertown could have had a much higher casualty rate. I'm sure every home searched was by freely given consent, uncoerced by guns pointed at houses where there was zero probable cause that the perp was in that house.

If I answer a knock at the door and it's police wanting to randomly search my home for whatever, no warrant, no entry. I would invite them to wait outside while I clear my own house of which I know every single cubbyhole where a person could possibly hide.

I think there's a whole other thread devoted to the dear departed puppies getting protected and served.

You guys are spinning this out of control in classic NES fashion. I’m not getting into this stupid shit about warrants and all that crap, bottom line I was commenting on them coming in and shooting you for having a rifle in the house and that’s that. I get all the other bullshit you guys are talking about and don’t disagree

I own a ton of mags, ammo and firearms..while being tacticool is cool, 2 mags for each weapon You can actually carry is plenty..incase of failure and you live that long
Im hoping if im ever in another gunfight, ill fire first and it'll be over before anyone else shoots back, wether its because they are just trying to intimidate, its not a real gun, or im just not f***ing around and they expect me to be a victim...
My issue with my personal defense weapons is mags that have been loaded too long... ill only need 1 or 2 shot anyway.no warning shots

My revolver is no more reliable then my semi handgun.

I'm of a somewhat silly opinion but it's what I go with...

I generally keep 6 factory magazines for each of my pistols, and keep 3 loaded at all times. Reasonable daily carry or duty carry is 1 magazine in the weapon and 2 in pouches or pockets. The other 3 I keep empty, in the safe, for range use. Once every 6-12 months when I clean/oil every weapon I own, I switch the magazines out - unload the loaded ones, load the empty ones - alternate use and possibly extend the life of the magazines.

I've heard the mode of thought that spring memory and strength can be negatively impacted by long term storage full AND the opposite, empty - the way I do it, hopefully there isn't an issue and the spring doesn't stay compressed or uncompressed for too long. I've heard fairly well reasoned arguments for either side, and not being an engineer or scientist, I'm not sure if either has merit, but I've heard both frequently enough that I figured I ought to have a system.

By my method, in a SHTF situation I've got a total of 6 reliable magazines, minimum, which can possibly be loaded for each pistol- if I need to leave fast, at least I've got 3 good to go. I do roughly the same for rifles, except that I have a minimum of 7 factory standard-capacity magazines for each - 1in the rifle (condition 3 / patrol ready), 3 empty and 3 full factory standard capacity magazines, plus whatever empty drums, 10rd or 5rd (hunting) magazines I might have. My duty vest has 3 pouches which can hold 2ea and the 7 magazine loadout is what we trained with. That's 1 per pouch or 2 if I have time to load.

Anyway I may just be making myself nuts unnecessarily, but at the very least I've got a reasonable amount of ammo good to go, and a reasonable # of magazines "in case". For a lot of weapons I have more than 6-7 factory mags but that is my minimum for pistols and rifles, respectively.

This would be in case i had to "bug out" quickly or even hunker down in the house quickly. College campus is literally 50-100yd from my back yard so an active shooter or 2 could easily affect my neighborhood. My thought process is to have "X" amount ready to go and not have to run downstairs and load mags as there may not be time for that.
Do you have rope and duct tape for a hot co-ed or naughty teacher?

Worst case scenario, carry what you’re physically capable of carrying and be realistic about it. If you run out of breath walking down stairs or taking an easy jog around the neighborhood, don’t expect to then be running around in 40+lbs of equipment under duress and not quickly become a casualty from exhaustion and dehydration.

Your heart rate, ability to control the adrenaline dump into your system, hydration level and general health (mental and physical) will effect you in the worst ways you can imagine, all of these things are just as, if not more important, than counting and loading mags.

Also, if you don’t have any yet or don’t know how to use them, stripper clips and the mag adapter are great to keep on hand and can reload a 30rd mag in seconds.

Worst case scenario, carry what you’re physically capable of carrying and be realistic about it. If you run out of breath walking down stairs or taking an easy jog around the neighborhood, don’t expect to then be running around in 40+lbs of equipment under duress and not quickly become a casualty from exhaustion and dehydration.

My plan is one load mag, then take gear off Heavy Six and Sgt Suger cookie as they beach themselves

I love and can vouch for, Olongapo Outfitters. The Original Grab-n-Go.

I have Grab-n-Go's for Garand's, AR's, AK's and Glock.

Retired US Marine owner builds great products...
Olongapo Outfitters

CB_ar15_30_rd_grab_and_go_new_flaps_003s-2.jpg
guns_and_gear_020s.jpg

I’ve still got the old school version.

E124A79F-C2DF-4745-9600-5B707DF5A2D9.jpeg B86908E7-792B-4646-882F-F0393F708202.jpeg

9A9F3D99-7A27-4FA7-AAD0-0D59F85DDE42.jpeg BEE1B6BE-D84B-4C2F-A951-9A5B43ADE37E.jpeg F0940E6D-CD67-46BA-9E36-83B2C0646979.jpeg

I keep one of each of these in my ruck.
04 30rd bandolier and another with 120rds reload.

They fold up nicely even when full and are easy to sling, toss or pocket when empty.

A lot of people don’t realize that these old ammo bandoliers are made to expand to also hold your mags.

They have a white thread sewn straight across the OD pouches to hold the smaller boxes of ammo securely.

Take hold of the white thread and it’s a quick release type of sewing strip, zip it right off and that expands the size of the pouch to now hold your mags. Really a very smart piece of equipment.

Last edited:
View attachment 228892 View attachment 228893 View attachment 228894

I keep one of each of these in my ruck.
04 30rd bandolier and another with 120rds reload.

They fold up nicely even when full and are easy to sling, toss or pocket when empty.

A lot of people don’t realize that these old ammo bandoliers are made to expand to also hold your mags.

They have a white thread sewn straight across the OD pouches to hold the smaller boxes of ammo securely.

Take hold of the white thread and it’s a quick release type of sewing strip, zip it right off and that expands the size of the pouch to now hold your mags. Really a very smart piece of equipment.

I like that you include the remote control. A lot of people forget to bring that.

In fairness, I think he’s talking about shit like this:

06753B7F-C80D-4035-B1DD-DBF089A8A103.jpeg

And this:

83C44C5C-70F6-42F4-B94F-316639CB5F49.jpeg

Running around your very own home with a rifle in this scenario is a good way to get the shit protected and served out of you.

Last edited:

DA: Police Accidentally Shot Man In SWAT Raid
Framingham Police Officer Paul Duncan accidentally shot Eurie Stamps during a SWAT raid in January.
By Susan Petroni, Patch Staff | Mar 9, 2011 9:38 pm ET | Updated Mar 9, 2011 10:19 pm ET

SWAT Team Liable for Wrong-House Flash-Bang Raid on Grandmother, Teen Girl; Can Be Sued For Their Actions
SWAT Team Liable for Wrong-House Flash-Bang Raid on Grandmother, Teen Girl; Can Be Sued For Their Actions
Judge Richard Posner compares police action to Keystone Kops.

Brian Doherty|Aug. 3, 2015 4:19 pm

Minneapolis SWAT Team Raids Wrong House
Minneapolis SWAT Team Raids Wrong House
Published December 18, 2007
MINNEAPOLIS – With her six kids and husband tucked into bed, Yee Moua was watching TV in her living room just after midnight when she heard voices — faint at first, then louder. Then came the sound of a window shattering.

Moua bolted upstairs, where her husband, Vang Khang, grabbed his shotgun from a closet, knelt and fired a warning shot through his doorway as he heard footsteps coming up the stairs. He let loose with two more blasts. Twenty-two bullets were fired back at him, by the family's count.

This would be in case i had to "bug out" quickly or even hunker down in the house quickly. College campus is literally 50-100yd from my back yard so an active shooter or 2 could easily affect my neighborhood. My thought process is to have "X" amount ready to go and not have to run downstairs and load mags as there may not be time for that.
The last thing I'd do in the event of an active shooter is run around outside with a rifle. If hunkering down at home, why do you even need so many mags? If by some miracle the active shooter ends up beating down your down, it won't take much to remind him that he's got somewhere else to be...

I personally don't keep much loaded. I'm pretty ocd and worried about weakening Springs over long-term storage. My carry gun stays loaded with extra mags but that's about it. I always thought it was illegal to travel with loaded rifle magazines? Have I been misinformed this whole time?

I personally don't keep much loaded. I'm pretty ocd and worried about weakening Springs over long-term storage. My carry gun stays loaded with extra mags but that's about it. I always thought it was illegal to travel with loaded rifle magazines? Have I been misinformed this whole time?
Magazine springs weaken with use, not remaining static, compressed or otherwise.

So now that everyone is in full PANIC

Are your MAGS AT THE READY?

Me: I have at least 10 AR and 10 AK mags full of hollow points stored in mag wallets. I have glock, beretta, and sig mags with ball ammo, but I should prob switch to hollow points.

I’ve since made a bag dedicated to hold a belt with holster and pistol mags, and a carrier for three rifle mags plus wherever are stored in the rifle case. Not perfect but it’ll get me home

I’ve since made a bag dedicated to hold a belt with holster and pistol mags, and a carrier for three rifle mags plus wherever are stored in the rifle case. Not perfect but it’ll get me home

Jokes aside, I have a small bag that I keep with 2 pistol mags and 4 rifle mags in it, with my normal range gear like my holster, mag carriers, ear pro, small med kit, etc. But that is more in case I get the opportunity to stop on the way home from work and burss with my friends than it is for some kind masturbatory fantasy. Although, it could fill that roll too.

Jokes aside, I have a small bag that I keep with 2 pistol mags and 4 rifle mags in it, with my normal range gear like my holster, mag carriers, ear pro, small med kit, etc. But that is more in case I get the opportunity to stop on the way home from work and burss with my friends than it is for some kind masturbatory fantasy. Although, it could fill that roll too.
I’d probably be dead before my first empty mag [laugh]
My bag is more for along your described reason but hey, at least it’s there.

Back
Top Bottom