• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Magpul sues Colorado

From their Facebook page...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
MAGPUL INDUSTRIES ANNOUNCES LAWSUIT TO INVALIDATE COLORADO GUN CONTROL MEASURES

Denver, Colorado – May 17th, 2013 - Magpul Industries, an Erie, Colorado, based manufacturer of firearms accessories, announced today that it has joined 53 Colorado County Sheriffs and other plaintiffs in filing a lawsuit this morning to invalidate gun control measures recently passed by the Colorado legislature and enacted by Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper.

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court and establishes that Colorado House Bill 1224 (magazine restrictions) and House Bill 1229 (universal background checks) violate the constitutional rights of lawful gun owners located in Colorado.

Duane Liptak, Director of Product Management and Marketing for Magpul Industries, said that these gun control laws do nothing other than restrict the ability of law abiding citizens to defend themselves and Magpul is committed to invalidating these infringements:

“Colorado’s recently passed gun control laws are a direct assault on the constitutional rights of the responsible people who live in and visit this great state. These laws will do nothing to enhance public safety and only place unreasonable limitations on the ability of law abiding citizens to defend themselves. While Magpul is currently in the process of moving its operations out of Colorado, we will not turn our back on our native state. Extreme gun control interests have forced the passage of these unconstitutional laws in Colorado, and as a company, we are resolved to restore those rights to the people.”

Magpul’s outside legal counsel, Jon Anderson, of Holland & Hart LLP, said that the Colorado gun control bills are unconstitutional and so poorly drafted that the new laws would be enforced in an inconsistent manner:

“Colorado’s gun control laws are in direct conflict with the U.S. Constitution. In addition, these bills were so poorly drafted that no one agrees on the scope of the government regulation. If teams of lawyers cannot agree on what these bills prohibit, how can we expect citizens to abide by these laws and how can we rely on law enforcement to implement these laws in a consistent manner?”

Magpul will continue to support productive efforts to FREE COLORADO from government regulations that imperil the rights of law abiding firearm owners.

From the FB page again (should have posted this as well)

Just to clarify, we are still moving, regardless of the outcome of this legal action. That train has left the station, and we are well into the selection and negotiation process as well as arranging many elements to be prepared to launch and already moving some production out of state.

This lawsuit, however, could have national implications. If this suit can get a mag ban struck down as unconstitutional, the nation may see a ripple effect across other states who choose not to trust their Citizens with their natural rights. That makes this fight worth fighting even more than just the implications for CO, which would have been enough to get us involved.

Stay tuned for more information on how to help this effort, for CO and for all states that currently have unconstitutional magazine restrictions.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by atilla

too little, too late.

Respectfully disagree. I commend Magpul for trying to nullify the measures and if a victory can be achieved, we'll all be the better for it. Giving up cannot be an option (but I do understand the frustration).

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by atilla

too little, too late.

Respectfully disagree. I commend Magpul for trying to nullify the measures and if a victory can be achieved, we'll all be the better for it. Giving up cannot be an option (but I do understand the frustration).

I also disagree. They filed a lawsuit in a timely fashion after a bad law was passed. What else would you have had them do?

A suit cannot be filed prior to a bill becoming law. It's not too little to late for magpul and this colorado crap. They lobbied to stop it, they are moving, etc. They unlike others (looking at you colt, stag, remington...), did everything we can ask for.

too little, too late.

I can't agree more. All I heard from everyone over and over was, nothing will happen, they aren't going to take our guns. Nothing can pass.

Oh, wait, now something has passed! Now what do we do... Oh, we leave. But before we go, lets fight how we should've in the beginning.

Don't get me wrong either. I'll venture everyone here is glad to see this fight happening. I think we would all agree that if they fight and win then they'll open the gateway for other places. Maybe these results will be better! We're just going to have to see.

I doubt you'll find anyone here that doesn't say that Magpul are on the right side of the fence.

A suit cannot be filed prior to a bill becoming law. It's not too little to late for magpul and this colorado crap. They lobbied to stop it, they are moving, etc. They unlike others (looking at you colt, stag, remington...), did everything we can ask for.

The point is that we can't wait for things to happen. Like Colt bringing all their employees to the CT statehouse saying they don't want to lose their jobs for nothing.

We all have a lot invested in this, not to mention the opportunities for our children to be involved in exercising their rights in the future or inheriting our legacy, and we're going to be emotional about it.

As far as I'm concerned, Magpul is a standup company that makes great products. Kudos to them for taking a parting shot at CO on their way out the door. I just picked up a Magpul iPhone 5 case even though the case I had was perfectly serviceable to show my support for this company.

i don't mean "too little, too late i hate magpul i'm boycotting everyone." i mean "too little, too late--if the people of colorado gave a shit the law never would have passed in the first place. good luck with a repeal or lawsuit."

i don't mean "too little, too late i hate magpul i'm boycotting everyone." i mean "too little, too late--if the people of colorado gave a shit the law never would have passed in the first place. good luck with a repeal or lawsuit."

I got what you were saying.... but even if NO ONE in CO cared if it passed, that's not the point. The point is it's bullsh*t legislation that violates the Constitution and should be repealed. **** mob rule.

Shows that the owner of Magpul is a marine. They may be ugly as sin, and a little on the wimpy side (god, I thoroughly enjoy this. Just kiddin'. Well, exept for the ugly part , maybe), but they sure don't take crap from anyone. He gets out of CO, and he does it with a bang. I like that.

too little, too late.

I also completely disagree. This has national implications. If a 15 round magazine limit is found unconstitutional in Federal court - how does the 7 round limit in NY stand, or the 10 round limit in MA. We all should be cheering and supporting this lawsuit.

Kudos to MagPul for doing what so far other organizations have lacked the balls to do - directly challenge the magazine ban.

Last edited:
Here's the press conference with David Kopel and 18 of the 54 sheriffs involved. Law enforcement's leadership in this law suit is one of the reasons I'm not especially worried about the government taking everyone's guns.

Last edited by a moderator:

An awful lot of us gave a shit here in Ct and did everything we could and look where it got us here.

I can't agree more. All I heard from everyone over and over was, nothing will happen, they aren't going to take our guns. Nothing can pass.

Oh, wait, now something has passed! Now what do we do... Oh, we leave. But before we go, lets fight how we should've in the beginning.

What are you talking about, they were fighting all that bullshit from Day 1.

Back
Top Bottom