• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Magpul MOE or CTR in NH Gun shops?

Does anyone know a shop that carries either the MOE Magpul stock or CTR? I have been calling shops for a while and can't find one. My AR-15 is all apart and I am ready to drill and pin the stock closer for my comfort. I will follow all laws. Thank you.

Does it only have to be NH? I am pretty sure Zero Hour in Easton had some a few weeks back when I was in. They can pin it for you as well.

I think First Defense in Uxbridge and Precision Armament Works in Franklin both carry Magpul. Worth a call if you are willing to travel.

I am sure they had mag pul stocks, but can't remember if it was CTR, MOE or both. I picked up a lower that day and was taking mental note of build supplies they had. It was 3-4 weeks back so I would give a call first.

I called, they don't have any. Do I need a new buffer tube also?

Unless you can remove the buffer tube from your current stock, then yes. Otherwise, just use the same tube you have.

For those reading this thread who didn't know... Be aware of whether your stock/tube is mil-spec or commercial-spec. You typically want both your stock and buffer tube to match. It's possible to use a commercial stock on a mil-spec tube, but not vice versa. Note, if you use a mixed-spec configuration then the stock will be really loose and annoying.

You can tell if a tube is mil-spec or commericial-spec generally but how the end of the tube looks. If it's slanted then it's commercial. If it's flat and "square" then it's mil-spec. You can reference this image I found floating around:

Buffer_Tube_Comparison_Char.jpg

I've pinned a few Magpul stocks myself. If you're deciding between the MOE and the CTR then go with the MOE. The CTR has an extra "lip" that will interfere with one-point sling end plates. This "lip" is the mechanism that helps eliminate some wiggle from your stock. The purpose of this locking mechanism is defeated if you're going to pin the stock. There is virtually no wiggle once a stock is pinned. Why unnecessarily add extra weight and material? Also, the CTR is more expensive than the MOE. Just my two cents.

EDIT:

Here's a picture of a CTR vs MOE. Notice the difference and how it could potentially block one-point slings that are attached to your end plate:

CTRvsMOE.jpg

I utilize a CTR on my pre-ban lower but I've got a MOE on my post-ban lower. I personally can't properly use my one-point sling if my CTR is fully collapsed.

Last edited:
Riley's definitely has Magpul gear, but call to check first regarding MOE or the CTR. Since you're in the north shore give Stateline Guns, Ammo & Archery a call. They are in Plaistow and last time I was in there they had some Magpul stuff.

P.S. Go with the CTR, the lock is a nice feature.

I just put the CTR stock on my M&P 15. The buffer tube that I removed weighs a ton. It has a dead space cavity in the back towards the buttstock. It is very odd and it has to be this way due to MA laws. The buffer spring was carbine length though and fit perfect in the CTR. I am so happy and can't wait to try it out. I do need a new castle nut because I scratched mine all up because of the staking. After $130, I have the stock I want and my M&P15 sport is looking better, I will post pictures later.

Back
Top Bottom