• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Magpul mags not allowed in MA?

Someone please tell me I can buy ar15 magpul p-mags and it wouldn't be illegal.Now that I've been reading up on pre-ban laws, I don't think you can. The reason I want to get pmags for a future ar is because they are good quality and already manufactured in flat dark earth.If I can't, I'm leaving this state.

Edit: if you can't, is it possible to get preban flat dark earth mags?

Last edited:
No, they're all post-ban large cap feeding devices and illegal in MA (lifetime disqualifying felony btw if convicted) unless you buy the retarded, pointless blocked 10 rounders.

Yes, you are wise to not want to live in MA.

-Mike

Last edited:
Gun laws are dumb, but PMAGs suck anyway. Real surplus GI mags are the way to go (the older the better,) everything else is hit or miss.

Really? I've heard very good things about PMAGs.

They look cool and Magpul has some great products (and great marketing,) but I've personally experienced and seen more mag-related malfunctions with PMAGs than I ever saw with GI mags. (And that includes the banged up crappy "Adventureline" or whatever ones that we got issued in the Marines.)

Yesterday's EIC match at Reading is a good example. The shooter right next to me had an alibi in the 200 yard sitting rapid due to a failure to feed. I look over - PMAG. My old Colt 20 rounders (marked .223 on the floor plates so probably at least 40 years old) have never once let me down and I've probably fired close to 3,000 rounds through them just in the last 12 months. The mid 80's Colt 30 rounders that I got from Tackdriver have also been flawless, though admittedly I don't use them very often. (Saving those for the zombies.) [wink]

Old GI mags, preferably the ones with the metal followers, are as good or better than anything you can buy today. (And usually cheaper too.)

Yesterday's EIC match at Reading is a good example. The shooter right next to me had an alibi in the 200 yard sitting rapid due to a failure to feed. I look over - PMAG.

So that guy had them illegally? Theoretically, I guess, one could order PMag's, collapsable stock, etc and just leave them in his home on his rifle.... Theoretically that is

So that guy had them illegally? Theoretically, I guess, one could order PMag's, collapsable stock, etc and just leave them in his home on his rifle.... Theoretically that is

some people are just ignorant about the laws, or they think it's no big deal and don't realize the penalty. i'll stick to GI mags myself and just update the internals.

So that guy had them illegally?

Not necessarily - cops are exempt from that law for example. (Or at least they are in practice.)

Edit: There are companies that that sell crippled PMAGs for ban states. I can't think of anything more lame, but to each his own and all that.

http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/2fcomaandduc.html

i'll stick to GI mags myself and just update the internals.

I wouldn't even do that. Those 40+ year old Colt 20 rounders that I mentioned above are still going strong with original springs and followers. I take them apart and wipe them down once a year or so (or if they get wet) and that's it.

Last edited:
i like the pmags we have at work. never had an issue with them. before we went to pmags, we had standard USGI mags. we had plenty of FTF issues with those. YMMV

Spoken like a true ma**h***.

He's a Marine - I value his opinion more highly than yours.

I just bought a bunch of PMags - they're actually sitting in a box in front of me right now. 20 and 30 rounders. I've only used a PMag once (earlier last week) and the rifle crapped out.

So is it legal for the average joe to have magpul 30 rd mags in the safe if they never come out of the home ? i have gotten mixed up with all the posts i have read on this site as to weather its only illegal if it's off your property.

No it isn't OK.

So is it legal for the average joe to have magpul 30 rd mags in the safe if they never come out of the home ? i have gotten mixed up with all the posts i have read on this site as to weather its only illegal if it's off your property.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

WTF do you mean by that? I'd value a Marine's opinion quite highly and he said that the gun laws suck. What more do you want?

The internet tells me PMAG's will replace the GI mags, plus the look good in my bathroom mirror pictures.

Not in MA - here that would be a felony. Your choices are preban or 10 round.

cool, thanks for the info. i just got the cheaper than dirt catalog and saw some cool magpuls and thought i could stack them deep for zday as long as they were kept in the house. its not a big deal to me to have just as many 10 rd mags. i'm not bothering with prebans , i don't even want the question to be possed if they are legal or not.

cool, thanks for the info. i just got the cheaper than dirt catalog and saw some cool magpuls and thought i could stack them deep for zday as long as they were kept in the house.

Not sure where you got that idea from... the law regulates possession, not "carrying on your person".

its not a big deal to me to have just as many 10 rd mags.

It is when you consider that you're paying stupid amounts of money for a mag that is intentionally crippled.

i'm not bothering with prebans , i don't even want the question to be possed if they are legal or not.

[rolleyes] Sorry, but this is just mind numbing. What question? If you really want, you can source prebans that have the codes stamped into the bodies. Probably for still under $20 a pop.

On the other hand, go ahead.... buy 10 rounders... it'll leave more mags for the rest of us to buy. [grin]

-Mike

cool, thanks for the info. i just got the cheaper than dirt catalog and saw some cool magpuls and thought i could stack them deep for zday as long as they were kept in the house. its not a big deal to me to have just as many 10 rd mags. i'm not bothering with prebans , i don't even want the question to be possed if they are legal or not.

Plenty of Pre-Ban Colt Mags on Gunbroker.

I just came back from six days of carbine class down south and everyone was running PMags and there were zero malfunctions. Maybe certain guns/BCG don't pair up with PMags very well. That's certainly possible.

FWIW, I've used PMAG's for training and I've never had an issue with them, zero malfunctions.

I dunno, I admit a fan of the window with painted orange loop on the mag spring to tell you how many rounds you have left in the thing. Plus, the snap covers would have been great in the desert to both maintain round accoutability and cut down on the frequency of mag cleanings because the dust would jam the followers.

Back
Top Bottom