• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

magpul AFG's

i have grown quite fond of these things lately, who uses em? what are your opinions?

I actually prefer the xtm rail panel grips for a little lower profile... But you cool AFG... you cool too.

Because Costa

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Love mine. Currently run them on ARs but I'm sure most rifles would be just as good. Gives you a natural hold, easy to aim. No flaws encountered yet.

I put one on an ak74 that has a quad rail. I had a vfg before but I like the afg for that rifle much better. Tried to put one on a mossberg 500 that has an aluminum railed forend but wouldn't fit.

I'm currently putting one on a Kel Tec Sub2000. Haven't shot it with it on yet, drilled the holes today at work to add the rail.

I go back and forth - had one on my Stag for awhile and liked int - back to using XTM panels for now - can't make my mind up what I like best ;)

Got the smaller one on my AR15, and the larger one on my Rem 870 currently. Thinking about using one on my AR pistol too. Found I like it a LOT better on the shotgun than the vfg that it came with (previous owner had one on there). Next AR rifle I build up will be for longer range shooting, so will might just have a bipod on it. Of course, there's always the possibility of slipping one of the AFG's onto it. [smile]

A well made piece of equipment that didn't work for me at all. <shrug> Don't take that as direction to not buy one, though. I know plenty of people that really like AFGs. You could be one of them....

I ended up with an Impact Weapons hand stop on the side of my handguard, so it falls into the web of my thumb. That was after trying VFGs and AFGs.

How far up front do you guys mount the AFG? I've tried close to the magwell and further up. I can't decide which one I like.

Whatever is more comfortable for you. Ideally closer to the magwell will be more beneficial in terms of recoil and steadiness but it differs. It was designed for the bent wrist so it already does it's job and more. I like mine real close to the magwell.

Last edited:
How far up front do you guys mount the AFG? I've tried close to the magwell and further up. I can't decide which one I like.

I have a carbine length handguard, and have the AFG placed as far out as I can mount it (towards the gas block).

I would suggest just moving it around until you find the spot that works best for you. I might pull mine back a bit, when I go to the range next. Just bring a screwdriver (or multi-tool) and you can adjust it all day long.

I use my VFG the same way the AFG was meant to be used (I just prefer the VFG for the task), and I have midlength handguards on my gun.

I have it mounted as far forward as possible while not melting my hand on the site base/gas block.

I mount mine as far forward as possible, and use a kind of an over the top grip.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I use my VFG the same way the AFG was meant to be used (I just prefer the VFG for the task), and I have midlength handguards on my gun.

I have it mounted as far forward as possible while not melting my hand on the site base/gas block.

i use afg's on an m1a and a ak right now and im loving them, i tried one on the AR and for some reason didnt like it as much as one of the stubby tango down vfg's. i grip it with a vfg like you are describing atmay, so i just got another afg2 to try on the AR for awhile to see if i can get used to it. we'll see how it goes, cant say enough about having the afg on the ak and the m1a is freaking awesome with it.

I'm currently putting one on a Kel Tec Sub2000. Haven't shot it with it on yet, drilled the holes today at work to add the rail.

please post pics of this. i did the same on an m1a scout with a fiberglass gi stock and its awesome.

I don't use one, because I am an operator without it.

operator-300x258.jpg

operator?

I prefer the VFG over the AFG. I can still grip the handguard which has the XTM panels. Just a preference thing. The AFG just feels awkward.

please post pics of this. i did the same on an m1a scout with a fiberglass gi stock and its awesome.

I set it up so its far back. I'll probably try it this weekend and see how I like it. So far this location felt the most comfortable to hold for me. I taped it in place forward, in the middle, to the rear, and checked which felt best before I drilled the handguard for a rail.

The swivel sling mount may go because I might end up adding another rail (or section) in front on the handguard and using a mount there.

I can't take credit for the AFG idea because I saw someone else here on NES post a pic with one on their Sub2000 and thought it looked like a neat idea.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369261045037.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369261045037.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I like them, they put my wrist in a more comfortable/natural position.

- - - Updated - - -

I like them, they put my wrist in a more comfortable/natural position.

Back
Top Bottom