Magnum Sporting Goods, Danvers MA

I stopped into this place last week because it is near work and I needed a specific item. The folks that run it are very nice, friendly, and accomodating. Their selection was pretty limited and they didn't have what I was looking for, but assured me they could order it and have it in a few days. They said they'd call me the next day with the information. Unfortunately, I never heard back from them.

While I really enjoyed the people, I probably wouldn't shop there unless I need something small and specific. You can save a ton of money by driving south a few exits and going to Four Seasons. The ammo at Magnum was twice the price of Four Seasons, and the firearms were considerably higher as well.

As much as I'd love to give this place a good review based on the people alone, I really can't. If they have what you want and you don't mind paying more (no lines no waiting) it's a place for you.

***Edit*** This place is in Danvers, MA

I bought an out of state pistol and had it transfered to the Magnum FFL. It cost $50 for them to do the paper work, a bit high but I did not mind as they are about 5 minutes from my home. I agree that they are really nice people; friendly and quite knowledgable, I believe the owner is a LEO. I also agree that the prices are on the high side. I really want to support this place because they are local but it's tough to do when other shops are still fairly close by and offer more competetive pricing. It must be very difficult to stay profitable in the firearms business in MA, so I understand why Magnum is on the high side. Perhaps they could collaborate with Collectors or FS to offer people on the North Shore a shorter ride to pick up ammo and firearms...

Regards,
chris

ChristosX said:
I bought an out of state pistol and had it transfered to the Magnum FFL. It cost $50 for them to do the paper work, a bit high but I did not mind as they are about 5 minutes from my home. I agree that they are really nice people; friendly and quite knowledgable, I believe the owner is a LEO. I also agree that the prices are on the high side. I really want to support this place because they are local but it's tough to do when other shops are still fairly close by and offer more competetive pricing. It must be very difficult to stay profitable in the firearms business in MA, so I understand why Magnum is on the high side. Perhaps they could collaborate with Collectors or FS to offer people on the North Shore a shorter ride to pick up ammo and firearms...

Regards,
chris

I agree. Even though it's 2 minutes from my office, it's worth it for me to drive to Woburn.

I stopped in today for the first time. Nothing particularly notable, except for AR fans. They have a rack full of them, perhaps 15 rifles. I asked the guy, "Are any of those pre-ban?" and he replied, "All of them. Most of them are Colts too." So, if anyone is in the market for a pre-ban AR, it might be worth checking out.

I was in there about 2 years ago looking around. They are friendly people. They also had a few interesting toys in the used case. They told me that they would order a part for my wife's P22 for a resonable price. I left my contact info for when the part came in but they never got back to me. I tried to contact them but Mike (I think he owns the place) was away and not available. I left a message for him and never heard back. Oh well. Also, while I was there they were going on and on about the "impending" federal AWB and how it was a done deal and would be implemented in the next few days. That kinda turned me off a just little because I got the impression that they were trying to scar me into buying a AR15 platform before the ban took place. They did have a boat load of pre-ban AR-15 stuff in really nice condition though.

Yes, Magnum is no longer an FFL. The young guy who used to run the shop made most of his money doing clothing, uniform and hat embroidery services for companies, teams, and government agencies, etc. The gun business was kind of a side line for him. Still, it was a nice little shop. The last time I dropped in was about 18 or 24 months ago and by then the gun division was gone. They clerk on duty directed me to the shop in Middletown saying it was the closest gun shop in the area.

The owner is Mike Pelonzi. I think he's still the firearms instructor for Hamilton/Wenham Rod & Gun Club. He patented a " Bulletproof Backpack " a few years ago and he's been focusing on that and his embroidering and screen printing business. He's a real nice guy.

The owner is Mike Pelonzi. I think he's still the firearms instructor for Hamilton/Wenham Rod & Gun Club. He patented a " Bulletproof Backpack " a few years ago and he's been focusing on that and his embroidering and screen printing business. He's a real nice guy.

He still owes me one of those backpacks for giving him the design.

Back
Top Bottom