Magnet Fishing... Found Guns!

Really??? A decade ago when I got my boat I got a mooring. Square chunk of concrete with an eye-bolt in it. Has to be 18" by 18" by 6-8". Heavy. REAL heavy. Like, "you ain't gonna lift it" heavy. I'd guess 120-180lbs maybe.

It was impossible to move. So we decided to take an old float tube set it on that and pull it into hte lake that way and then float it to where we needed it dropped.

It fell off as soon as it hit the water. And suddenly. . . . . SUDDENLY. . . . . that immovable piece of concrete was easily swinging from the mooring chain right out to where we needed it.

Items in water are LIGHTER than they are on land. Pulling it OUT of the water is the hard part. If you don't believe me, watch Swamp People on History. They pull those gators all over until they need to get it into the boat.

175lbs wouldn't be fun to lift off the bottom, but it is possible and then you'd try and lash it with ropes instead of trying to "land" it while on the water.

My 175 lbs magnet weighs a few ounces. But stick it to a solid chunk of iron and pull straight out, it's going to take some PULLING to get it off. You can "pry" up an edge and suddenly you can remove it, though.

I'd worry more about the strength of the fishing line. Typical fishing line is good for 5 or 10 lbs? Paracord is heavier to throw but is stronger than my magnet.

One fine weekend I have to go fishing with it!

Oh I'd not put it on fishing line. You're talking stout cord or nothing. At the very least, it won't surgically remove digits while trying to pull something out of the mud.

And I concur - the hardest part is gonna be getting past suction. And it depends on where the magnet lands on the object. For, say, a cannon barrel, I'd rather my magnet hit the end and not the middle.

My grandmother's childhood friend was the daughter of Babe Ruth's housekeeper back in the 20's. She said she said she said Babe was quite a (muttered in low, disgusted voice) womanizer.
Um...If I was a wealthy (back in his day even a hundred bucks a week was yuge bucks) ballplayer?..

I'd be eating, drinking and
"-izing" just about any and every woman willing to be "ized" in Boston, New York and every road trip town also.

Just sayin' ;)

Every time I pull the 19lb anchor on my pontoon boat, I'm always amazed how much of a chore it is just pulling it up hand over hand from the bottom.
That's nothin'; just you wait until
the thing holding on to the anchor gets P.O.ed,
and really starts pulling back...

A decade ago when I got my boat I got a mooring. Square chunk of concrete with an eye-bolt in it. Has to be 18" by 18" by 6-8". Heavy. REAL heavy. Like, "you ain't gonna lift it" heavy. I'd guess 120-180lbs maybe.
These are mooring weights.

IIRC, even the skinflint 30 footers used 5,000 pounders,
and the real conservatives use 8,000 pounders.

You should see the mooring contractor's pontoon work boat squat down
when they winch up one of those bad boys to shift or remove it.

My 175 lbs magnet weighs a few ounces. But stick it to a solid chunk of iron and pull straight out, it's going to take some PULLING to get it off. You can "pry" up an edge and suddenly you can remove it, though.
We always knew you were a non-linear thinker.

Oh I'd not put it on fishing line. You're talking stout cord or nothing. At the very least, it won't surgically remove digits while trying to pull something out of the mud.
Use shadow square wire - it won't break.

And I concur - the hardest part is gonna be getting past suction.
I know a guy that was in full scuba gear,
completely submerged scrubbing the hull of his pal's sailboat
near the mouth of the Danvers River.

He decided to see how deep the mud was,
so he grabbed the mooring line
and hand-over-hand descended it feet-first.

The mud was well over his head before
he came anywhere near the mooring weight.
Not sure if he ever did touch down.

I believe it.

The Catskill Aqueduct crossing of the Hudson has to go 1100'+ below sea level to stay in bedrock,
and cross under the river channel. But most of the channel is filled with sediment.
img-1.jpg

Really??? A decade ago when I got my boat I got a mooring. Square chunk of concrete with an eye-bolt in it. Has to be 18" by 18" by 6-8". Heavy. REAL heavy. Like, "you ain't gonna lift it" heavy. I'd guess 120-180lbs maybe.
Items in water are LIGHTER than they are on land.
18" x 18" x 8" of water (assuming no impurities) weighs about 93.6 lbs. (70lbs for 18" x18" x 6")

------------------

A friend kept having the line on his mooring cut by props as other boats drove by. I don't know the outcome, but he eventually replaced the mooring line with 1/2" stranded stainless cable.

My cousin is a local newscaster and he referred to this as a mortar 3 times. I wasn't paying attention to the video because I was cooking but it sure looks like a grenade.
It's not any US hand grenade, and I've never seen any hand grenades with fins attached.

Could be an early aerial bomb. There was a lot of experimentation, and pilots just dropped them over the side.

MGL Chapter 134:

Section 1: Report of lost money or goods by finder

Section 1. Any person who finds lost money or goods of the value of three dollars or more, the owner of which is unknown, shall within two days report the finding thereof to the officer in charge at a police station in the town where said property was found, or, if there is no police station, post notice thereof in two public places therein, or, instead of such report or posting, cause notice thereof to be advertised in a newspaper published therein.

Section 4: Rights of finder if no owner appears

Section 4. If the owner of lost money or goods does not appear within one year after the finding thereof, they shall enure to the finder, provided he has complied with section one.

Yep. Had those. Climbed way up into the neighbor's tree to throw them out onto the hard surface street.

It didn't make them bang any louder. Imagine my disappointment.
When I was a kid, the thing was two 1/4x20 bolts with a nut in the middle with strike anywhere match head powder in the small gap formed when both bolts were lightly threaded into the nuts. Carriage bolts were preferred since they had then nicest striking surface when dropped onto pavement, but hex head worked nicely two.
'
You can hardly find strike anywhere matches any more and the ones you can find are nothing like the old red ones with the blue tip (or was it white?)

We could not afford that stuff. we used to old round paper caps with at least 6 or 8 powder containers per cap and put them in between washers on a bolt with a nut on the end. Just don't over tighten the nut. I think we would get about 10 of the round caps on a bolt and it was as loud as a cherry bomb. I just went looking for round paper caps and I think they don't make them anymore. I did find a replacement.

I heard years back of a multi story building in Chicago that was shrink wrapping pallets of caps and got one a bit too tight. It took the whole building down.

caps.jpg

MGL Chapter 134:

Section 1: Report of lost money or goods by finder

Section 1. Any person who finds lost money or goods of the value of three dollars or more, the owner of which is unknown, shall within two days report the finding thereof to the officer in charge at a police station in the town where said property was found, or, if there is no police station, post notice thereof in two public places therein, or, instead of such report or posting, cause notice thereof to be advertised in a newspaper published therein.

Section 4: Rights of finder if no owner appears

Section 4. If the owner of lost money or goods does not appear within one year after the finding thereof, they shall enure to the finder, provided he has complied with section one.

Three whole dollars?!?!?!?!?
giphy.gif

And they most certainly still make roll caps. I seen em! (Maybe in Cracker Barrel or similar old-timey store.)

Magnet fishing???

I saw someone doing that on a bridge over the Shawsheen river last summer. it might have been one of those "earth day" things.
There was all sorts of rusted slimy crap on the bridge sidewalk, including the crypt keeper's bicycle. I concluded it was NOT a fun hobby to take up. who wants all that crap?

This will be used to push the effort that firearm owners need to have the local police take inventory of their firearms and each year the owners must report if there was any change, theft etc. All part of the upcoming legislative push for more firearm laws. Let’s see if any of them have readable serial numbers and if they magically track them down. This thing smells worse than the pond

This will be used to push the effort that firearm owners need to have the local police take inventory of their firearms and each year the owners must report if there was any change, theft etc. All part of the upcoming legislative push for more firearm laws. Let’s see if any of them have readable serial numbers and if they magically track them down. This thing smells worse than the pond

Not sure you've ever before been on the proper side of the argument.

Suddenly I'm wondering if a police conducted inventory might be a good idea after all!

Back
Top Bottom