Magnet Fishing... Found Guns!

how big of a magnet to do you need to find Kennedy's cars with people in 'em?

e9cb3704-f382-4489-a896-e3c6b81830ba.jpg

Inspired by this thread I bought a 175 lbs magnet on Amazon. It was like $6. I'd be willing to bet not many of us could pull it straight up off a chuck of steel, although you can lever it off fairly easily.

Haven't "fished" with it yet, possibly a little later this summer.

Should I be so unfortunate as to find a pistol and not something cool like an old bicycle frame, of course I'll call 911 right after I shelter in place.

I thought the glock wasn't used in the murder, I remember seeing cops looking at the roof of the condo he owned or rented. Beaver pond has a very dark past so I wouldn't be surprised if he tossed the gun in there.
I'm not 100% sure, but the fools own surveillance system shows him holding a black pistol inside the house after returning from killing Odin. I couldn't tell from the video on tv, but they identified it as a Glock.

I see people ordering these 200+ pound magnets, without pondering the consequences of latching onto something that is 200+ pounds of ferromagnetic steel, buried in the muck.

How are you going to get it onto the boat or onto shore? Have you pondered the stiction factor? Assuming your line is even rated that high, have you ever tried lifting something that heavy hand over hand with small diameter line?

Naw. If your 200+ pound magnet clamps onto something weighing 200+ pounds, you might as well cut line and go home.

I see people ordering these 200+ pound magnets, without pondering the consequences of latching onto something that is 200+ pounds of ferromagnetic steel, buried in the muck.

How are you going to get it onto the boat or onto shore? Have you pondered the stiction factor? Assuming your line is even rated that high, have you ever tried lifting something that heavy hand over hand with small diameter line?

Naw. If your 200+ pound magnet clamps onto something weighing 200+ pounds, you might as well cut line and go home.

Lash it to the cleat and punch it. Teh biggest thing is getting it out of hte muck. Then you're hauling a reasonably-heavy item up. Not 200lbs, tho. Because water and such. Get a couple of lines on it and bring it back UNDER the water. Lifting it out you need a block and tackle like Quint had. ;)

I’m goin fishin!

Thing is I know how to keep my mouth shut!
Yeah, seems like a good idea until you think about how it got to where you pulled it out from. Chances of it falling out of a holster and into the water are quite a bit slimmer then it's got bodies attached to it and was tossed or is stolen.

Unless it was a FA Thompson, then ignore everything I just said.

Yeah, seems like a good idea until you think about how it got to where you pulled it out from. Chances of it falling out of a holster and into the water are quite a bit slimmer then it's got bodies attached to it and was tossed or is stolen.

Unless it was a FA Thompson, then ignore everything I just said.

Finding a firearm in a lake is different from finding one in a Chicago sewer. Do you have any IDEA the number of boating accidents involving the loss of a firearm?

Inspired by this thread I bought a 175 lbs magnet on Amazon. It was like $6. I'd be willing to bet not many of us could pull it straight up off a chuck of steel, although you can lever it off fairly easily.

Haven't "fished" with it yet, possibly a little later this summer.

Should I be so unfortunate as to find a pistol and not something cool like an old bicycle frame, of course I'll call 911 right after I shelter in place.

Every time I pull the 19lb anchor on my pontoon boat, I'm always amazed how much of a chore it is just pulling it up hand over hand from the bottom.

A retired coworker had his sons mini 14 in his safe. The story was that 3 dentists bought a camp on a lake in Maine, and would go to this camp, that their wives didnt know about with hookers and blow.

One night of debauchery, one of them accidentally shot himself/or another with one of the guns they had there. Wives now knew and moved in to end things. Guns were thrown in the lake where coworkers son and a friend stumbled upon them diving not too long after. Minimal damage that was repairable.

A retired coworker had his sons mini 14 in his safe. The story was that 3 dentists bought a camp on a lake in Maine, and would go to this camp, that their wives didnt know about with hookers and blow.

One night of debauchery, one of them accidentally shot himself/or another with one of the guns they had there. Wives now knew and moved in to end things. Guns were thrown in the lake where coworkers son and a friend stumbled upon them diving not too long after. Minimal damage that was repairable.

How long were they searching, I mean "diving", before they stumbled upon them?

Really??? A decade ago when I got my boat I got a mooring. Square chunk of concrete with an eye-bolt in it. Has to be 18" by 18" by 6-8". Heavy. REAL heavy. Like, "you ain't gonna lift it" heavy. I'd guess 120-180lbs maybe.

It was impossible to move. So we decided to take an old float tube set it on that and pull it into hte lake that way and then float it to where we needed it dropped.

It fell off as soon as it hit the water. And suddenly. . . . . SUDDENLY. . . . . that immovable piece of concrete was easily swinging from the mooring chain right out to where we needed it.

Items in water are LIGHTER than they are on land. Pulling it OUT of the water is the hard part. If you don't believe me, watch Swamp People on History. They pull those gators all over until they need to get it into the boat.

175lbs wouldn't be fun to lift off the bottom, but it is possible and then you'd try and lash it with ropes instead of trying to "land" it while on the water.

Back
Top Bottom