1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Magnet Fishing... Found Guns!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smokey-seven, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Really??? A decade ago when I got my boat I got a mooring. Square chunk of concrete with an eye-bolt in it. Has to be 18" by 18" by 6-8". Heavy. REAL heavy. Like, "you ain't gonna lift it" heavy. I'd guess 120-180lbs maybe.

It was impossible to move. So we decided to take an old float tube set it on that and pull it into hte lake that way and then float it to where we needed it dropped.

It fell off as soon as it hit the water. And suddenly. . . . . SUDDENLY. . . . . that immovable piece of concrete was easily swinging from the mooring chain right out to where we needed it.

Items in water are LIGHTER than they are on land. Pulling it OUT of the water is the hard part. If you don't believe me, watch Swamp People on History. They pull those gators all over until they need to get it into the boat.

175lbs wouldn't be fun to lift off the bottom, but it is possible and then you'd try and lash it with ropes instead of trying to "land" it while on the water.

2. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Not sure. Actually, now that that you worded it that way, it sparked my memory. Someone told him about it, so he went looking.

namedpipes likes this.
  3. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

My 175 lbs magnet weighs a few ounces. But stick it to a solid chunk of iron and pull straight out, it's going to take some PULLING to get it off. You can "pry" up an edge and suddenly you can remove it, though.

I'd worry more about the strength of the fishing line. Typical fishing line is good for 5 or 10 lbs? Paracord is heavier to throw but is stronger than my magnet.

One fine weekend I have to go fishing with it!

Dennis in MA likes this.
  4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Oh I'd not put it on fishing line. You're talking stout cord or nothing. At the very least, it won't surgically remove digits while trying to pull something out of the mud.

And I concur - the hardest part is gonna be getting past suction. And it depends on where the magnet lands on the object. For, say, a cannon barrel, I'd rather my magnet hit the end and not the middle.

5. GlockJock

GlockJock NES Member

Um...If I was a wealthy (back in his day even a hundred bucks a week was yuge bucks) ballplayer?..

I'd be eating, drinking and
    "-izing" just about any and every woman willing to be "ized" in Boston, New York and every road trip town also.

Just sayin' ;)

namedpipes likes this.
  6. AHM

AHM NES Member

That's nothin'; just you wait until
    the thing holding on to the anchor gets P.O.ed,
    and really starts pulling back...

These are mooring weights.

IIRC, even the skinflint 30 footers used 5,000 pounders,
    and the real conservatives use 8,000 pounders.

You should see the mooring contractor's pontoon work boat squat down
    when they winch up one of those bad boys to shift or remove it.

We always knew you were a non-linear thinker.

Use shadow square wire - it won't break.

I know a guy that was in full scuba gear,
    completely submerged scrubbing the hull of his pal's sailboat
    near the mouth of the Danvers River.

He decided to see how deep the mud was,
    so he grabbed the mooring line
    and hand-over-hand descended it feet-first.

The mud was well over his head before
    he came anywhere near the mooring weight.
    Not sure if he ever did touch down.

I believe it.

The Catskill Aqueduct crossing of the Hudson has to go 1100'+ below sea level to stay in bedrock,
    and cross under the river channel. But most of the channel is filled with sediment.
    [​IMG]

7. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Until you can give me a source for scrith gloves, I'll stick with paracord! I already checked Amazon.

AHM likes this.