MagLite in your carry on bag?

I am flying out to San Francisco next week for business. I will need a couple of flashlights while I am there (setting up and tearing down product demos in a potentially dark space) and I want to stick a couple medium to full size MagLites in my carry on. I hate checking baggage and would like to avoid it if possible. Flashlights aren't on the TSA's published list, but I would hate to get to airport security and find that they consider long, metal flashlights to be a club. Anyone have experience with this?

Never had a problem with a medium sized one. 2D
But once again its up to the individual security people to decide. Might be OK going out of one airport but not ok on your way back. Can never tell anymore with the secuirty people. I am actually suprised they don't outright ban them as even the small one is effective.

I made it through TSA security with the Surefire C2 Centurion that I normally carry everyday. I put it in the box and ran it thru the X-ray and it made it. See if you can get a AA Fenix or equivilent light to take with you.

Joe R.

I know two people who work for TSA (one used to work at ZHA) and both confirmed that "the rules are what the individual TSA agent tells you they are" . . . that they are authorized to pull them out of their ass and invoke things that are NOT on the TSA prohibited list. This uncertainty adds to my desire NEVER to step foot in a commercial airport again, ever.

I know two people who work for TSA (one used to work at ZHA) and both confirmed that "the rules are what the individual TSA agent tells you they are" . . . that they are authorized to pull them out of their ass and invoke things that are NOT on the TSA prohibited list. This uncertainty adds to my desire NEVER to step foot in a commercial airport again, ever.

Is that why you take the private jet now [wink]

I am flying out to San Francisco next week for business. I will need a couple of flashlights while I am there (setting up and tearing down product demos in a potentially dark space) and I want to stick a couple medium to full size MagLites in my carry on. I hate checking baggage and would like to avoid it if possible. Flashlights aren't on the TSA's published list, but I would hate to get to airport security and find that they consider long, metal flashlights to be a club. Anyone have experience with this?
For the kind of work that you are talking about I have found that a head worn led light works much better. It may look a bit weird but they really work. Like this one http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=58

When I travel for work, I often Fedex my tools to either the job site or the hotel. They've only gone "missing" once and that was in southern Mexico. Maybe an option for you...

I'd prefer to have something larger, metal and handheld in case, for some reason, I need it on the plane. [wink]

You might have an issue with one of the C or D cell lights, but most of the 1-3 cell AA/AAA/CR123 lights should pass right through, and are a good fistload/kubaton size.

I picked up some LED lanterns with long battery life at Walmart, they look more like a flash light than a lantern but are made to be set down so you can fee up your hands. I'd post a picture, but can't fine one.

Found it.

opplanet-energizer-weather-ready-folding-nichia-led-lantern-d-batteries.png

Batteries are suppose to be good for month while running it for 5 hours a day. If you flip the top it exposes a reflector which increases the brightness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom