Magazines

Hey NES members. I just recently received my MA CCW Permit and travel frequently between Massachusetts and New Hampshire (Resident NH/Non-resident Massachusetts). What do others do about the magazine restrictions in Massachusetts?

Do you carry magazines that hold more than ten rounds and then swap out prior to crossing state lines to a magazine that holds 10 or less? If so, what do you do with the higher capacity mags?

Or do you just keep a ten round magazine in the weapon at all times?

when I was making the transition I rolled with 1-2 spare 10rd mags plus a g26 with a 10+1. Switching up mag length on my spare mags threw off my blind sweep for my reloads. found I was better off running 10rd spares vs mixing up full caps and MA mags.

Hey NES members. I just recently received my MA CCW Permit and travel frequently between Massachusetts and New Hampshire (Resident NH/Non-resident Massachusetts). What do others do about the magazine restrictions in Massachusetts?

Do you carry magazines that hold more than ten rounds and then swap out prior to crossing state lines to a magazine that holds 10 or less? If so, what do you do with the higher capacity mags?

Possession of a post-ban standard capacity magazine in MA is a felony. You can’t just unload your standard cap magazine, stuff it in your glove box, load up a 10-round magazine, and then drive into MA and think you are compliant — you aren’t.

The legally prudent course of action for carrying in MA is to only possess either pre-ban standard capacity magazines or 10-round magazines.

I spent a lot of time in Cambridge where deep concealment was key, so I carried a Ruger LCP and mag size wasn’t a concern.

Now that I’m in a free state, I carry a glock 19. I would run 15 round pre bans if I was carrying that gun in MA.

If it were me, I would get/carry a gun where pre bans are available. And if that isn’t an option, I’d go for 10 rounders of a larger caliber. A Sig 229 with 10 round of 357 sig is no joke and you’re only loosing 2 rounds over the standard cap mag.

Last edited:
Possession of a post-ban standard capacity magazine in MA is a felony. You can’t just unload your standard cap magazine, stuff it in your glove box, load up a 10-round magazine, and then drive into MA and think you are compliant — you aren’t.

The legally prudent course of action for carrying in MA is to only possess either pre-ban standard capacity magazines or 10-round magazines.

Or carry a gun that can only hold 10 or less rounds.

Glock mags are so cheap I usually toss em out the window and go to 10 rounders before I hit the state line. Every few months I pull over with my hazards on and pick em back up. I break em down and clean em up and start from the beginning. They are unloaded of course. Find your own spot, for Freedom!

Swap out when you get to the line?

What do you do with the post ban mags that hold more than 10? Hide them in the bushes on the nh side of the state line?

Possession of the post ban over 10 rounds is the problem......

As M1911 said, possession of post ban standard capacity is a felony. Just carry a 1911, 8 +1 of 45 ACP And 2 spares. I personally wouldn't pay the obscene Mass prices for pre 1994 Glock magazines which are now, at least 25 years old and may or may not drop free.

Real question: has anyone here ever seen, heard of or read of anyone arrested for a post ban hi capacity magazine in and of itself? As in the only charge for the custody? I have only seen it as an add on charge when they grab someone for something else and the charges stack up.

I guess if you were careless and left a few 30 round p-mags on the backseat or somehow flaunted the fact that you were carrying post ban mags. If you were traveling and CCW a G19....How would a LEO lawfully drop the mag on your lawfully carried G19 to see if a mag is pre or post ban? You would have to be doing something God awful stupid or the search would most likely be unlawful. If they ask questions about it STFU. Don’t talk to the police. Funny video about that floating around.

I’m not advocating a felonious act be committed irrespective of how foolish the law itself is Op. The switch is probably a risky endeavor as the problem is where to lawfully store the free state mags as stated before. This state (MA) is bass ackwards and the risk may not be worth the rewards. It’s quite frustrating that we (MA residents) have to fill our brains with all this nonsense so we can exercise a right while others right next door have far greater freedoms.

Maybe a G26 is the answer....or a free state P365.

Hi Maura!
If your not Maura your 1st step is to go green here or the masses will absolutely shell u here, way worse than Twitter or Faceplant, lol!!!!!!!

Real question: has anyone here ever seen, heard of or read of anyone arrested for a post ban hi capacity magazine in and of itself? As in the only charge for the custody? I have only seen it as an add on charge when they grab someone for something else and the charges stack up.

I guess if you were careless and left a few 30 round p-mags on the backseat or somehow flaunted the fact that you were carrying post ban mags. If you were traveling and CCW a G19....How would a LEO lawfully drop the mag on your lawfully carried G19 to see if a mag is pre or post ban? You would have to be doing something God awful stupid or the search would most likely be unlawful. If they ask questions about it STFU. Don’t talk to the police. Funny video about that floating around.

I’m not advocating a felonious act be committed irrespective of how foolish the law itself is Op. The switch is probably a risky endeavor as the problem is where to lawfully store the free state mags as stated before. This state (MA) is bass ackwards and the risk may not be worth the rewards. It’s quite frustrating that we (MA residents) have to fill our brains with all this nonsense so we can exercise a right while others right next door have far greater freedoms.

Maybe a G26 is the answer....or a free state P365.
The chance of getting pinched solely for a post ban over 10 rounder is exceedingly rare. I'd argue that actually needing the extra rounds the mag holds would be even more rare....... let alone the spares some folks on here are posting that they tote around on a daily basis.

Now.....I get it .....freedom is freedom. I'm all for it. Just stating the realities of what we are talking about.

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time in Cambridge where deep concealment was key, so I carried a Ruger LCP and mag size wasn’t a concern.

Now that I’m in a free state, I carry a glock 19. I would run 15 round pre bans if I was carrying that gun in MA.

If it were me, I would get/carry a gun where pre bans are available. And if that isn’t an option, I’d go for 10 rounders of a larger caliber. A Sig 229 with 10 round of 357 sig is no joke and you’re only loosing 2 rounds over the standard cap mag.
357sig is an awesome round

My heart hurts just thinking that this is an issue...

So, just pack your belt with two glocks; each with a 10 round mag and 1 in each pipe for a total of 22 rounds. (I heard you can buy 2 Glocks in New Hampshire for what we pay for 1 down here...)

Hi Maura!
If your not Maura your 1st step is to go green here or the masses will absolutely shell u here, way worse than Twitter or Faceplant, lol!!!!!!!

His first thread says he is a former LEO with many years of experience, presumably from NH.
Being the most trusting person on the internet, I see no reason to doubt the man is who he says he is.
:D

I go back and forth every day and spend a lot of time in MA. It's always the unforeseen circumstance I worry about causing legal issues. Having an interaction with law enforcement after getting into an accident, changing a flat or having my car broken into. Never know how informed they are on the firearms laws. Arguing the authenticity and legality of pre-ban magazines is not high on my list of things to do in life.

Summer time carry guns are usually compact or subcompact and are under the limit.
When it's cooler out and more layers make concealment easier I go to a .45 that is 10 rounds.
Always carry an extra magazine. This trade off works for me. Find what you are comfortable with.

Having an interaction with law enforcement after getting into an accident, changing a flat or having my car broken into.

Why would this be an issue? Are you shooting it at them? I though you never let anyone know you have a gun until you are shooting it at them. :rolleyes:

Why would this be an issue? Are you shooting it at them? I though you never let anyone know you have a gun until you are shooting it at them. :rolleyes:

It doesn't need to be an actual shooting that causes you to have an issue with law enforcement.
Injured in a car crash and have to go to the hospital? Gun related items in view when stopped? Ammo or extra magazines stolen from your car?
I think you are much more likely to be jammed up by some random issue than being part of an actual shooting indecent.

It doesn't need to be an actual shooting that causes you to have an issue with law enforcement.
Injured in a car crash and have to go to the hospital? Gun related items in view when stopped? Ammo or extra magazines stolen from your car?
I think you are much more likely to be jammed up by some random issue than being part of an actual shooting indecent.

You missed the whole point of that post. I just figured the /sarc was pretty much implied. I guess not. :(

Back
Top Bottom