Magazine Question

The mags are stamped Mec-Gar and say .357/.40. Everything I have read makes me suspicious. All three of them are currently being turned into lumps of metal in the wood stove. I really trusted the dealer too. Now I will never do business there again. That was an expensive learning experience. Thanks to all who gave advice, even Scrivener.

If you still have them, and they are Sig Mecgar mags, I will swap you new in package 10 round mags for them. let me know as I can own your mags legally.

Yes, tossing them in the fireplace an melting them was a bit extreme.

Some alternatives:

1) Trade them with someone outside MA for some MA legal (10rd or pre-ban) magazines

2) Post them in the Members forum as Karma (and give them to someone outside MA to hold onto while the drawing is done)

3) Return them to the shop, ask for 10rd replacements or a refund.

If you still have them, and they are Sig Mecgar mags, I will swap you new in package 10 round mags for them. let me know as I can own your mags legally.

Follow this advice from a trusted member.

I apologize for the comments of some of the members in here who feel the need to shit on newbies. I think it has something to do with "small penis syndrome".

Follow this advice from a trusted member.

I apologize for the comments of some of the members in here who feel the need to shit on newbies. I think it has something to do with "small penis syndrome".

Thank you Derek. I appreciate the advice, but I put all three of those mags in the wood stove last night and this morning they were little lumps of nothing. I admit that I was a bit paranoid when people started saying "Felony" and was afraid that any attempt to trade, transfer or return the mags would put me at risk.

As you noted, I am a newbie here and my lack of knowledge cost me $150 and some egg on my face. That will not happen again.

I have noticed that some of the members here do feel the need to flex their muscles with the new guys. One of the members pointed out that "Hey it's the internet" and that most are not nearly so bold in person. I am learning. There are clearly some folks who suffer from Napoleon Syndrome but my skin is getting thicker.
Semper Fi

I appreciate the advice, but I put all three of those mags in the wood stove last night and this morning they were little lumps of nothing. I admit that I was a bit paranoid when people started saying "Felony" and was afraid that any attempt to trade, transfer or return the mags would put me at risk.

Advice is only useful when it is:

1. TIMELY received;

2. Accurate; and

3. TIMELY acted upon.

If you had doubts about the mags - and you did - the logical course of action would be to investigate prior to taking possession of them. You didn't.

When you belatedly learned that the mags were almost certainly post-ban and, therefore, illegal, posters suggested you return them to the dealer in exchange for legal ones, or swap them for legal ones with those who can possess them (LEO's or residents of other states). There were offers made to help you out in just that manner.

Instead, you wasted $150 in mags and let the dealer get away with illegal antics by acting rashly. A few moments of rational thought would have provided you with a far superior outcome.

I suggest you read more, and listen to advice from those qualified to give it prior to rushing into ill-considered acts.

At least the major problem is resolved, albeit expensively.

1. TIMELY received;

2. Accurate; and

3. TIMELY acted upon.

If you had doubts about the mags - and you did - the logical course of action would be to investigate prior to taking possession of them. You didn't.

When you belatedly learned that the mags were almost certainly post-ban and, therefore, illegal, posters suggested you return them to the dealer in exchange for legal ones, or swap them for legal ones with those who can possess them (LEO's or residents of other states). There were offers made to help you out in just that manner.

Instead, you wasted $150 in mags and let the dealer get away with illegal antics by acting rashly. A few moments of rational thought would have provided you with a far superior outcome.

I suggest you read more, and listen to advice from those qualified to give it prior to rushing into ill-considered acts.

And as he said, he is learning. That is what people do. They make mistakes, and then they learn from them.

1. TIMELY received;

2. Accurate; and

3. TIMELY acted upon.

I am new here so I just have to ask? Do you talk down to everybody here or just the newbies? You have an incredible knack for pointing out peoples mistakes and short comings, and to your credit, do it more eloquently than anyone else here. I tell my kids that it is the easiest thing in the world to be mean but it takes character to treat all people with respect.

I did investigate. That is why I asked the dealer for Pre- Ban mags. Now I suppose I could have taken a picture of the mags with my cell phone and posted it here for your review but I trusted the dealer. That, I admit was a mistake. I think I also mentioned that I asked a LEO and a firearms instructor, who I still have a high opinion of, for advice. By the way the LEO was also the same person who I took my safety course from. Silly me!

I really did appreciate the offers to swap the mags and did consider returning them as well. However I was of the opinion that being in POSESSION of the mags was a felony. Therefore I reasoned that it was possible that if in fact the mags were banned, and for some reason I ran into an issue with the trade/transfer/return, I would be guilty of a felony.

Did you seriously suggest that I trade them to a LEO, who knows that my posession of the mags constitutes a felony? " Thanks for the mags, put your hands behind your back and turn around" After all, we have already established that misplaced trust can be dangerous.

As for the dealer I certainly did not let him get away with any thing. When I marched into his shop and embarassed the shit out of his infront of a store full of people, I felt that it was an adequate way to lodge my customer complaint. I am about 6'2" and 260lbs and at least one customer walked out as I was a bit loud and angry.

Now I am just a simple country boy, joined the Marine Corps right out of high school, started at the bottom of the company I now run, and still split my own firewood by hand. But I don't consider the $150 to be wasted. All of the really important lessons I have learned in life have been the most expensive.
I learned that even though some people really do mean well, they can be mistaken. That was also seen in some of the replies to my question here. I learned that gun dealers may try to rip you off. And although I am sure that you will undoubtedly make me pay for it with your superior command of the English language, I have learned that you Sir, can be a condescending prick. What I have yet to learn is if it is the norm or unintentional

I am new here so I just have to ask? Do you talk down to everybody here or just the newbies? You have an incredible knack for pointing out peoples mistakes and short comings, and to your credit, do it more eloquently than anyone else here. I tell my kids that it is the easiest thing in the world to be mean but it takes character to treat all people with respect.

I did investigate. That is why I asked the dealer for Pre- Ban mags. Now I suppose I could have taken a picture of the mags with my cell phone and posted it here for your review but I trusted the dealer. That, I admit was a mistake. I think I also mentioned that I asked a LEO and a firearms instructor, who I still have a high opinion of, for advice. By the way the LEO was also the same person who I took my safety course from. Silly me!

I really did appreciate the offers to swap the mags and did consider returning them as well. However I was of the opinion that being in POSESSION of the mags was a felony. Therefore I reasoned that it was possible that if in fact the mags were banned, and for some reason I ran into an issue with the trade/transfer/return, I would be guilty of a felony.

Did you seriously suggest that I trade them to a LEO, who knows that my posession of the mags constitutes a felony? " Thanks for the mags, put your hands behind your back and turn around" After all, we have already established that misplaced trust can be dangerous.

As for the dealer I certainly did not let him get away with any thing. When I marched into his shop and embarassed the shit out of his infront of a store full of people, I felt that it was an adequate way to lodge my customer complaint. I am about 6'2" and 260lbs and at least one customer walked out as I was a bit loud and angry.

Now I am just a simple country boy, joined the Marine Corps right out of high school, started at the bottom of the company I now run, and still split my own firewood by hand. But I don't consider the $150 to be wasted. All of the really important lessons I have learned in life have been the most expensive.
I learned that even though some people really do mean well, they can be mistaken. That was also seen in some of the replies to my question here. I learned that gun dealers may try to rip you off. And although I am sure that you will undoubtedly make me pay for it with your superior command of the English language, I have learned that you Sir, can be a condescending prick. What I have yet to learn is if it is the norm or unintentional

Norm. It's called being scrived. If you go green there is a whole thread about it.[wink]

You are learning well..FWIW there is no way I would have done a trade with a LEO either if I was in your situation,that would be tempting fate.

]

YOU already exposed your self to that liability. Let me refresh your obviously quite short memory. From your initial post:

Does anyone know what the law says? My friend is a LEO and he says that if you can buy it in Mass it is legal. I just want to be sure.

But wait; there's more!

I think I also mentioned that I asked a LEO and a firearms instructor, who I still have a high opinion of, for advice. By the way the LEO was also the same person who I took my safety course from. Silly me!

Indeed. Having already announced your possession of possibly illegal mags on a public forum AND, by your own admission, to at least one LEO, you get all upset for my suggesting you exchange the mags with those who already know you have them. Yes, that certainly creates a new crisis....

Enjoy your new toy and new knowledge. Shoot well and safely.

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party seeing as they've already been melted down, but I'll ask: did the receipt say "pre ban mags" on it? At least one shop I've bought pre-ban's from stated "pre ban" right on the receipt. If I buy more from a shop I'll demand this (see below why I won't likely buy from a shop anyhow). At least then I could argue I acted if good faith if they turned out post ban.

(btw, you paid too much for them too... don't go to the shops in MA for them... $50/each is robbery.)

Yes, in fact the receipt did say Pre Ban but it was a hand written receipt. Actual cost was $42 each plus crazy Mass sales tax. I was just rounding up.

]

Enjoy your new toy and new knowledge. Shoot well and safely.

Thank you and you also answered another of my questions. You Sir, are a prick.

It makes me wonder what kind of sad and pathetic life you must live, or what happened to you in life that makes you enjoy making fun of other people. Did the bullies take your lunch money every day? Did you not make the football team? Is that why you feel the need to act superior to all?

Now if I were in your position, and so well versed in Mass laws and so well educated, I would have sent a PM saying something like" Gee fencer, I think you have a problem with those mags. Why don't you shoot me a message next time and I will offer what advice I have to give and possibly help you avoid a problem" But you didn't. You made an attempt to publicly humiliate me so that you could make yourself feel better. That says an awful lot more about you than it does about me.

I know what kind of guy I am Scrivener. I am the guy that clears my elderly neighbors drive way every time it snows. I am the guy that doesn't drink, use drugs and has never cheated on my wife. I am the guy that doesn't get to church as much as my wife would like, but enough that the preist knows my name. I am a Dad that helps his kids with their homework every night and would never pick on them for asking a stupid question. My oldest graduated second in her class and was accepted to every college she applied to.

What kind of guy are you Scrivener? What ever the answer is I hold no ill will.
When my daughter called and told me about what jerks a couple of her roommates at college are I told her that if we never ran into real a$$holes in life we would not appreciate the good people we meet. You make me appreciate all of the good people on this forum and for that I thank you.
In fact, you have made me appreciate them so much that as soon as I am done here I am going to get my checkbook and send a check to go Green.

Oh, and one more thing. Merry Christmas

Back
Top Bottom