• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Magazine question

Friend of mine is moving here from NH he has a bunch of 30 round PMAG ar magazines however he sold his AR a few months back and said he would just give me whatever magazines he had left. Now if I buy the 10 round limiter base plate does that work as making it legal or not because its not a permanent fix. Just wondering I searched for it on this site but couldn't find anything but it could be this work computer sucks but hey thats what I have you guys for right!

I know people that have bought new AR's that come with 30rnd mags. The gun shop rivet the mag so only 10 rounds will fit. The law is grey and you should probably ask someone with a little more knowledge but I would say that the limiters would make them legal. Best of Luck

I think it has to be permanent. Someone more knowledgeable will chime in but I believe it needs to be a fixed 10 round mag

Edit: I just did some quick searching on google and didnt come up with anything concrete (work computer blocks a lot of weapon related sites but NOT NES!! Actually I think I got armslist blocked here because it used to not be...) anyway, I found a couple people suggesting that modifying a high cap pmag to only accept 10 rounds might actually be ok. you would just be illegal from the time you accepted the mag to the point of it being modified.

Last edited:
The reason it is grey is that the law doesn't really define what it means to be a high capacity magazine very well. Suppose I have a 40 S&W magazine, into which I can insert only 10 rounds (making it legally available). However, what if I put 12 rounds of 9mm into it? Does that make it an illegal magazine now? Likewise, with the conversion process, a non-permanent conversion might be legal, since the converted magazine would be only capable of accepting 10 rounds. However, a prosecutor could argue that you were in possession of something so easily converted that it is virtually the same thing, and the judge and jury might buy that argument. That's why a permanent conversion is safer (although much sadder)

yeah thats what i'm thinking it needs to be a permanent fix but i'm sure a gunsmith or someone can pin it I assume but the limiters would be the easiest way

Definitely a grey area (and you know the AG will not offer an opinion on it).

S&W sells the neutered long M&P 15-22 mags in MA with their new guns. They come from the factory neutered by using a pin, and the mags are epoxied together and also have "10 Rounds" stamped on them. There's vids on youtube of free state folks knocking the pin out and gluing it back together. So I'd think you would be okay if you were to take the PMAGS and epoxy the block in to permanently reduce capacity down to 10, you would be okay. But you wouldn't be able to perform any maintenance on the mag then. After that, the only issue you'd have then are people spotting you using a standard PMAG in MA and getting unwanted attention at the range.

yeah thats what i'm thinking it needs to be a permanent fix but i'm sure a gunsmith or someone can pin it I assume but the limiters would be the easiest way

I feel like it would be similar to an AR needing to have a pinned stock or welded break. thats why i feel like permanent might be the way to go with the mag.

Permanently limiting 30 round mags is kinda silly. Why have that big ass mag body if you can only use the upper third of it. I would just sell/trade them and get some 10 round pmags or prebans.

I am going through the neutering process for XDM mags (for MA competitions) I have a block that glues into the follower, but I am considering gluing the baseplate to the mag frame as well, because Martha et al could argue that I could just remove the baseplate and install a non-blocked follower, and there not "permanently altered". It's a pain, and yes it's stupid, but risking 3x10years is not worth it to me, in that off chance I get stopped and they want to search the car.

yeah he has to move for work he got moved or something and will be buying a house out western MA his company will pay half or something if the house is in MA something stupid

He should make a new friend up there who can use them. Give them to the new friend in exchange for the ability to have ammo shipped there since getting it shipped here will be a not very easy option.

Friend of mine is moving here from NH he has a bunch of 30 round PMAG ar magazines however he sold his AR a few months back and said he would just give me whatever magazines he had left. Now if I buy the 10 round limiter base plate does that work as making it legal or not because its not a permanent fix. Just wondering I searched for it on this site but couldn't find anything but it could be this work computer sucks but hey thats what I have you guys for right!

Have fun ruining perfectly good magazines. My advice to him is to sell them to someone there that can actually use them, instead of taking the mags and ruining them.

-Mike

I took all my pre/post ban mags that were over 10 rounds and sawed off the bottom.

Then I took leopard print duct tape and created a stop for the follower (follower gets stuck doe somet1mez l0lz).

I then light the lower evil half of the mags in a fire fueled by gasoline and children's tears (collected them by showing the kids what happens to Scooby Doo when cops raid Shaggy's house for DC or what happened to Scoob when he went to vacation in China). The fire pleases Martha and i paint an "X" on my door with the ashes so her posse passes over my house and doesnt take my first born son.

I have found that this has been the best way. No longer do I risk having non-stamped prebans (how do you know Adventure Line really went out of business man. It's an obvious trap). In fact, I dont even shoot the guns anymore because the sonic crack upsets the Gods and they bring ammo shortage on my family.

Hope this helps.

How do you indentify a "pre-ban" magazine? Are they serialized or something? Honest question.

some magazines have external dates, other companies simply did not exist on or before 9/13/94, some companies have changed the design of their mags over the years and the design was not present on or before 9/13/94 (glock ambi notch mags for example), the firearm you're feeding with the mag did not exist on or before 9/13/94, etc.

those are the biggest ways.

Send this to your friend:

44914662.jpg

Have fun ruining perfectly good magazines. My advice to him is to sell them to someone there that can actually use them, instead of taking the mags and ruining them.

-Mike

It is exceedingly fun. Epoxy everywhere! /sarc

But I agree. Since Magpul makes 10 rounders, sell the 30 rounders and buy the 10 rounders, or pre-bans

Keep the mags at 30 rds and just fill them with 10 rds of .50 Beowulf .....
When you go to nh remove the .50 and put 5.56 in :)

Can't say there high cap when you can only fit 10 rds of ammo in them . Lol

These types of topics make me very sick and nauseous because we should be allowed to own what we please! [puke] Sorry for the thread hijack for a second, I needed to say that.

there is another option no one seemed to touch on....

civil disobedience like a mofo

not that I would advise such a thing

Back
Top Bottom