Magazine Possession Without LTC

Can a person who doesn't have an LTC possess firearm magazines in MA? I know you need an LTC-A for pre-ban high caps, but what about regular 10rd (or less) mags? No guns, no ammo, just mags.

Please quote the MGL or CMR which establishes this

This is a rather basic item to be requesting a cite on (you new to this MGL stuff?), but here goes:

Mass General Law, chapter 269 section 10(m):

(m) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) or (h), any person not exempted by statute who knowingly has in his possession, or knowingly has under his control in a vehicle, a large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device therefor who does not possess a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms issued under section 131 or 131F of chapter 140, except as permitted or otherwise provided under this section or chapter 140, shall be punished by imprisonment in a state prison for not less than two and one-half years nor more than ten years.

My apologies at the remark. The question sounded more like a challenge to the veracity of the claim high caps required an LTC than a request for info. Just an example of the difficulties of picking up nuances from posts.

There is no exemption for "not in a vehicle", plus the details of when one is actually in possession depends on the totality of the circumstances - but the system would almost certainly consider you in possession if they ere in the trunk of your car (same assumption they would use if you had a kilo of coke in your trunk).

Thanks.

The need for an LTC for a big mag is something should be covered in any LTC licensing class.

my gut says, NO a non LTC holder should not possess a small capacity mag on their person. they would want to overreach and jack you up for it. (obviously, an UNLOADED small capacity magazine i mean)

But i bet technically that is not correct. It is not a component, nor is it a restricted firearm. You would probably get off after spending a lot on a good lawyer.

For instance, unloaded small capacity magazines do not have to be stored in a locked container in MA--giving them access to all in the house.

Last edited:
my gut says, NO a non LTC holder should not possess a small capacity mag on their person. they would want to overreach and jack you up for it. (obviously, an UNLOADED small capacity magazine i mean)

But i bet technically that is not correct. It is not a component, nor is it a restricted firearm. You would probably get off after spending a lot on a good lawyer.

For instance, unloaded small capacity magazines do not have to be stored in a locked container in MA--giving them access to all in the house.
Congratulations. You are the first person who directly addressed the OP's original question re: low-capacity magazines. [cheers]

And it is not a surprising question given that more and more vendors are requiring proof of a license before selling a MA resident any firearm magazine. Happens to me all the time including at the last MA show.

I think your answer nailed it. Methinks it's more of that damn Massprudance thing vs. the law as written.

Congratulations. You are the first person who directly addressed the OP's original question re: low-capacity magazines. [cheers]

And it is not a surprising question given that more and more vendors are requiring proof of a license before selling a MA resident any firearm magazine. Happens to me all the time including at the last MA show.

I think your answer nailed it. Methinks it's more of that damn Massprudance thing vs. the law as written.

I'm thinking that's the answer right there. Not really sure what makes small capacity magazines so scary, but I'll bet it will still get someone who isn't licensed jammed up. Maybe it's the scary stiff springs in there. You know, it could put your eye out kid! Also, I've had gun stores ask for an LTC when buying a small capacity mag before.

I had this question last Christmas when the ladyfriend asked what I wanted. Decided against asking her for spare mags and asked for night sights instead. Dad, however, couldn't believe the cost of spare HK mags, lol.

I'm thinking that's the answer right there. Not really sure what makes small capacity magazines so scary, but I'll bet it will still get someone who isn't licensed jammed up. Maybe it's the scary stiff springs in there. You know, it could put your eye out kid! Also, I've had gun stores ask for an LTC when buying a small capacity mag before.

I had this question last Christmas when the ladyfriend asked what I wanted. Decided against asking her for spare mags and asked for night sights instead. Dad, however, couldn't believe the cost of spare HK mags, lol.
Remember when S&W was using this same sort of BS as a vague excuse for not extending their free M&P magazines deal to Massachusetts (and CT) residents? Same damn thing IMHO. There are some Internet vendors out there who won't ship any magazines to Massachusetts out of fear of our lunatic AG lady. It's a pitiful situation that just keeps getting worse. [thinking]

Rob, reading comprehension failure!

The OP's question was specifically about NON-large capacity mags!!!!

To the OP's question:

- Nothing in MGL that I've ever seen makes it a crime to possess UNLOADED NON-large capacity mags for any gun if you don't have a MA gun license of some sort.

- That said, you can bet that many PDs would try to jack someone up and DAs and MSP ballistics "ex-spurts" would back them up. So it would be an expensive legal battle to win and a black mark on your record that will never get erased.

My rationale for the above is my personal experience with a criminal case almost 2 years ago. DA prosecuted and MSP ballistics "ex-spurt" (with ~25 yrs experience) testified (and provided written "proof") that a standard SKS (Norinco) rifle was a large capacity rifle holding 11+1 rds and that the clip (yes a clip feeds the internal mag on this gun) holds 11 rds. According to his public defender and the PI who had the sense to bring me in to testify as an expert witness, if I hadn't refuted the above the defendant would have been convicted and done hard time in state prison for these non-crimes.

So as much as I believe that it is legal, I also suggest that Massprudence should dictate that you not do this unless you have someone like Atty. Jason Guida on speed-dial and have the money to pay him to get you off.

Rob, reading comprehension failure!

The OP's question was specifically about NON-large capacity mags!!!!

To the OP's question:

- Nothing in MGL that I've ever seen makes it a crime to possess UNLOADED NON-large capacity mags for any gun if you don't have a MA gun license of some sort.

- That said, you can bet that many PDs would try to jack someone up and DAs and MSP ballistics "ex-spurts" would back them up. So it would be an expensive legal battle to win and a black mark on your record that will never get erased.

My rationale for the above is my personal experience with a criminal case almost 2 years ago. DA prosecuted and MSP ballistics "ex-spurt" (with ~25 yrs experience) testified (and provided written "proof") that a standard SKS (Norinco) rifle was a large capacity rifle holding 11+1 rds and that the clip (yes a clip feeds the internal mag on this gun) holds 11 rds. According to his public defender and the PI who had the sense to bring me in to testify as an expert witness, if I hadn't refuted the above the defendant would have been convicted and done hard time in state prison for these non-crimes.

So as much as I believe that it is legal, I also suggest that Massprudence should dictate that you not do this unless you have someone like Atty. Jason Guida on speed-dial and have the money to pay him to get you off.

Wait, they tried arguing that a stripper clip holds 12 rounds? Great experts there. I feel like it should have been a matter of bringing in a stripper clip, loading it with snap caps (and counting to 10), and then shoving it into the SKS internal mag. Could the lawyer have gotten some sort of special permission slip to bring the offending hunk of metal and wood in and demonstrate loading? That case still strikes me as extremely stupid.

Wait, they tried arguing that a stripper clip holds 12 rounds? Great experts there. I feel like it should have been a matter of bringing in a stripper clip, loading it with snap caps (and counting to 10), and then shoving it into the SKS internal mag. Could the lawyer have gotten some sort of special permission slip to bring the offending hunk of metal and wood in and demonstrate loading? That case still strikes me as extremely stupid.

Yes, the case was stupid. They were out to get him and the arresting officer admitted as much to me and the PI when we initially went to the PD to look at the evidence a few months before the trial.

No, they claimed that the SKS internal mag held 11 rds + 1 in the chamber. They also claimed that you could get the stripper clip to HOLD 11 rds (not 12). Well there are raised tabs at each end of the stripper clip to HOLD the ammo. Once you feed it 10, those tabs prevent the ammo from falling out. However, I'm sure that you can put 11 rds in the stripper clip BUT the 11th rd would fall out when you raised it vertical. The DA and MSP were trying to jack this poor guy up and hang him out to dry.

The sad question to ask is . . . how many poor schleps have been strung up by these guys because they didn't know who to call in as an expert witness to refute this sort of BS. Even though the PI knew me from our years together on the PD, it wasn't until I gave my abbreviated MA Gun Law Seminar to his state Constable association that it clicked with him to call me in as an expert witness in this case.

The gun and clips had been entered in evidence. However as a witness you don't drive the questioning in court, you merely answer what was asked. So I would have had to have been asked to bring snap-caps (I own a bunch but none in 7.62x39) and demonstrate this. The public defender knew nothing about guns (he and I had spent an hour the day before the trial discussing guns/mags) and admitted as much (with no interest in learning), so this wasn't about to happen. If he had someone knowledgeable like Atty. Jason Guida, the situation would have been very different.

Back
Top Bottom