Magazine or Clip?

I agree completely with jdubois. Those FMs are indeed correct. The M1 Garand is indeed magazine fed -- it has an internal magazine. That internal magazine is loaded with en-bloc clips. The M1903 also has an internal magazine. That internal magazine is loaded with 5-round stripper clips. Also, M16 magazines can be loaded with stripper clips. For example: http://www.keepshooting.com/firearmaccessories/add-ons/ar15-m16-stripper-clips.htm

M16 clips:
ar15-m16-stripper-clipsbig.jpg

M16 magazine being loaded with an M16 clip:
402px-Refilling_an_M16_magazine.jpg

Clips are used to load magazines.

My intent was to clarify that many GIs use incorrect terminology all the time despite the nomenclature listed in the manuals.

B

My intent was to clarify that many GIs use incorrect terminology all the time despite the nomenclature listed in the manuals.

It would appear the attempt was unsuccessful. Note also the complete absence of any reference to "bullet heads."

It could be that the recruits were already so ingrained with ignorant nomenclature that even rigorous military training was unable to dislodge it.

It's just what the military chooses to modify. You will almost never hear a solder call a rifle a gun, but they all use the term clip. It's a big deal if you call it a gun, but they could care less if you call it a clip.

I guess as long as it's sufficiently martial you could probably get away with it. If you called cartridges boom booms you would probably get a lot of weird looks from your fellow soldiers.

B

A clip is that thing that flips up to make killing people easier,correct ?

I think you're thinking of the barrel shroud.

Although it's already been answered 50 times, the easiest way I've ever heard it described is this:

Clips and magazines are both feeding devices.
A clip feeds ammunition into a magazine.
A magazine feeds ammunition into a firearm.

Last edited:
I've been taught the following, in Army:

M4 is a Carbine

M16 is a Rifle

M60 / M240B is a Machine Gun (crew served weapon)

M249 is an individual weapon, fully auto, but NOT called a "machine" gun...

M9 is a Pistol

Field Manulal is a "field manual" and called FM-##...

on the other hand,

FM is f*** magazine LOL

those "clips" are Magazine or Speed loaders

magazine - the thing that holds the bullets...

"clips" - paper clips, video clips ect ect...

Back
Top Bottom