• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Magazine compliance question

Did some searching but could not find an answer to this question. Can a 17 round M&P mag be pinned to 10 rounds and be compliant? Thanks.

There are threads on NES re: this exact question.

AFAIK there is no answer on that because the law does not specify and I am unaware of cases where the question has been addressed. It is similar to pinning of a collapsible stock on semi-auto rifles....what constitutes legal vs still an AW?

maybe someone else out there has a cite but I do not.

personally I would rather just purchase a 10rd mag and be done w it. However, if the mag is pinned or fixed in some manner that it cannot be modified back to 17rd, then I would personally feel OK using it...i am not giving legal advice just my personal approach.

if the mag were soldered or different follower used, something at lease quasi-permanent then I would feel fine. If its like a stupid plastic twig or very temporary fix to 10 rds, then nope.

I don't know the answer but I would assume if a 30 round AR mag can be pined to 10 rounds and be legal to buy at the gun shop I frequent I would bet that a pined pistol mag would be ok. Seems like pinning a 17 rounds mag would be a pain as the pin would have to be flush with mag body to be inserted? If you do, post some pictures

Back
Top Bottom