Mag-Lite LED upgrade question?

I was wondering if anyone has bought the LED upgrade replacement bulbs for the non-led Mag-Lites,any good?

Be careful though. I had bought 2 within 6 months of each other [about 3 years ago] and they both crapped out after limited usage. Those were both mag lite brand part # 2R1F06. I got the upgrade AGAIN after about a 2 1/2 year lapse of using mag lights. This time it is a "Nite Ize" brand LED upgrade. Seems to work so far. Hopefully the technology has improved. Save yourself time and get a Surefire.

**Mag's only "advantage" in my opinion is their durability and sheer mass in case you need to strike someone with it. My buddy got the side handle for it, the thing is like a PR-24 on roids**

Be careful though. I had bought 2 within 6 months of each other [about 3 years ago] and they both crapped out after limited usage. Those were both mag lite brand part # 2R1F06. I got the upgrade AGAIN after about a 2 1/2 year lapse of using mag lights. This time it is a "Nite Ize" brand LED upgrade. Seems to work so far. Hopefully the technology has improved. Save yourself time and get a Surefire.

**Mag's only "advantage" in my opinion is their durability and sheer mass in case you need to strike someone with it. My buddy got the side handle for it, the thing is like a PR-24 on roids**

I gave my oldest daughter(4 at the time) a 2 cell d mag as her I'm afraid of the dark light. I figured if she got scared at night she could turn it on and if what ever it was didn't vanish I would hear the thud when she threw it at them and come running[smile]. I have been thinking of upgrading to the LED to save on batteries. The flashlight in my pocket how ever will always be a surefire. IMO if you want Bet your life on it reliability except no substitutes.

I know LEO guys & others generally dont like Mags. Surefire & Streamlite seem to be some of the prefered flashlights as well as others out there.
I've had a 4D Mag for almost twenty years,I keep it in the plowtruck.
I was interested if anyone thought the LED upgrade was junk/don't bother.

Like it was mentioned above, the LED retrofit on Mag Light isn’t worth it.
Not to bright and it doesn’t last.
I did try it with a single LED bulb retrofit.
Maybe there’s something better on the market that I’m not aware of.

I did an LED replacement with a bulb from the local hardware store. It wasn't much of an improvement. Maybe longer battery life? I didn't test that theory.
The new manufacture LED Maglite is nice. Very bright.

I have a 2C Maglite. I got the LED replacement, and it has been great. Still eats batteries, but not as bad. Reaches out a good distance also, and has nice adjustments for near or far.

That said, I have an older Jetbeam BC20 which kicks the 2C Maglite's butt, but takes expensive 123 batteries.

The next one will be:

I'm just waiting for it to go on sale again.

Depends, I guess, on how nostalgic you are on your Maglite. I swapped out for an LED bulb in a 2-AA mini years ago and still runs great, although noticeably less lumens than any modern-day LED light. I gave it to the kiddo to use, since it’s aluminum and virtually indestructible.

plenty of better options out there now for flashlights, so I’d take the $$ and put it into a new light if it was me.

Necrothread!

Have a 3 C cell Mag Lite with no bulb. Should I go LED? From reviews they are like da Mayor: not too bright....

If want something equally as well made as the old Maglites, get a Malkoff Devices drop in. More than the crap you'll buy off amazon / ebay, but well worth it. I have several, for both Maglite and Surefire.

Highest recommendation from a flashlight hoarder.

Not replacing it. Just looking to see if there is an LED bulb as bright as the original. Guess not.
I have the same light and did the led. Def not as bright. I keep it around in junk drawer for power outages and what not. I keep a Fenix for when I really need light outside in the dark.

I also grabbed an anker led flashlight off one of the Amazon deals of the day and that has been pretty good. not compact but it is rechargeable through micro USB and plenty bright. good for walking the dog at night. Amazon product ASIN B01KH2JP5GView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KH2JP5G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5HkAFbCKNP3N2

Not replacing it. Just looking to see if there is an LED bulb as bright as the original. Guess not.

The Malkoff unit is order of magnitude brighter than the incandescent. Well worth the money if you don't want to buy a new body, that said, any 3.7V flashlight will be much, much brighter than a 1.5V one.

These get constantly solid reviews in the 'bargain' sections.

Old MagLite? Best Maglite LED Conversion Upgrades and Replacements

1600786414567.png

Size: 280 Lumen 3-6 Cell
  • BREATHE NEW LIFE INTO YOUR MAGLITES: This replacement bulb module gives your trusty old flashlights the make over they deserve. Turns them into an 280 lumen torch with no tools or modifications required.
  • FOCUSABLE: This LED upgrade retains use of Maglites quick focus system. On narrow focus the hot spot is tight and clear, at medium width it has a large spot with bright spill. ★NOTE★ On wide focus it will have a spot in the center "donut effect" similar to what the factory incandescent bulb in a Maglite does.
  • INCREASED BRIGHTNESS: Over 6x brighter than a standard 45 lumen 3D incandescent Maglites, makes it easy to see a large area and a farther distance.
  • LONG BATTERY LIFE: Highly efficient Cree XP-G2, with run times of up to 10 hours on 3D cells or 20 hours on 6D cells.
  • FITS NEW AND OLD INCANDESCENT MAGLITES: Including those with MAGNUM STAR BI-PIN BULBS (see product photos for details),White Star Krypton, Mag-lite Magnum Star, Mag-Num Star 2 II Xenon Bulbs.. Does *NOT* fit Maglites that are LED from the factory.

I ordered the Led Upgrade though Amazon (made in Germany) after reading this old thread ,But it didn't fit.
After 25 years of hard use my Maglite is still going strong.. just wish it was brighter

The Malkoff unit is order of magnitude brighter than the incandescent. Well worth the money if you don't want to buy a new body, that said, any 3.7V flashlight will be much, much brighter than a 1.5V one.

These get constantly solid reviews in the 'bargain' sections.

Wow, hard to justify an LED upgrade with those prices!

I upgraded the bulbs in my 3D and 4D maglites recently. I used the replacement below. It was a decent upgrade from ~100 lumens to ~300 lumens. No where near as bright as my PD35. The beam focusing feature of the old bulb is gone. Adventure Sports has higher output upgrades, but they don't really provide value over a new 18650 based flashlight. was not going to throw out the maglite so $20 that way is OK.

Amazon product ASIN B07VRFY2PTView: https://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Firefly-Upgrade-Maglite-Flashlight/dp/B07VRFY2PT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Adventure+Sport+Flashlights&qid=1600790910&sr=8-3

I have the 4 C-Cell. I bought an LED upgrade bulb and am happy with it. It is brighter than the original bulb.
Sorry I don't remember the brand, I think it was the Nite Ize. I bought it at Homedepot.

I did the upgrade on my 6-D cell Maglite a while back. 1000 lumens via three emitters. It sits next to my bed "just in case". Since it can double as a bat, I have no reason to retire it.

What I bought replaced the bulb and reflector in the head. IIRC it was made for the older lights, which mine was (bought in the 90s). While I have plenty of small, bright LED lights, I won't get rid of the monster.

Would be funny as hell if someone mounted a large Maglite to a rifle.

i upgraded my mini mag a few years back. i thought it sucked after the upgrade, i get more light from my bic lighter. i eventually put it back to normal and tossed the led kit. i was going to upgrade my 3 cell and 2 cell lights but decided to save the money and leave them alone. reading the positive comments i may have installed the one i had wrong i'm thinking now.

I'm at my mother's going through all the flashlights that don't work. Are the Maglites still upgradable or worth upgrading? Or are they outdated? My skinflint dna is having trouble just chucking them.

Back
Top Bottom