• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Made a mistake a few years ago. What to expect?

Okay, so here is the potential hole I have dug for myself:

Back in mid-2012, I moved out of MA, but never notified the respective people for giving up my LTC. It would have expired a year ago, so either way, it is no longer valid. At the time, I did the stupid thing and assumed that moving out of state simply invalidated my license, and that I would not have to notify anyone. It was not until recently that someone informed me of what I should have done all those years ago. However, I will soon be moving back to MA (shocking, I know), and had been hoping to re-apply for an LTC.

I am aware that Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, sections 129B and 131(l) say that failure to notify within the allotted time shall result in a revocation or suspension of the license, and I have heard that this could also disqualify me from obtaining an LTC in the future. If that is the price I pay for my stupidity, I suppose I'll have to live with that.

What has me more worried is Chapter 269, section 10(i), which states that: "Whoever knowingly fails to deliver or surrender a revoked or suspended license to carry or possess firearms or machine guns issued under the provisions of section one hundred and thirty-one or one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty, or firearm identification card, or receipt for the fee for such card, or a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, as provided in section one hundred and twenty-nine D of chapter one hundred and forty, unless an appeal is pending, shall be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than two and one-half years or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars."

What should I do going forward? Should I notify the right people ASAP and take whatever they give me, or has the damage already been done, since the LTC already expired?

I went through the exact same thing. Moved out of state with a valid license, and then moved back after it had expired. I simply went to the chief of police, Introduced myself and told him what had transpired. I showed him my expired license, and we did the paperwork. 2-3 weeks later he dropped my new one off at the house. This was just my experience. Good luck

Back in mid-2012, I moved out of MA, but never notified the respective people for giving up my LTC. It would have expired a year ago, so either way, it is no longer valid. At the time, I did the stupid thing and assumed that moving out of state simply invalidated my license, and that I would not have to notify anyone. It was not until recently that someone informed me of what I should have done all those years ago. However, I will soon be moving back to MA (shocking, I know), and had been hoping to re-apply for an LTC.

I am aware that Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, sections 129B and 131(l) say that failure to notify within the allotted time shall result in a revocation or suspension of the license, and I have heard that this could also disqualify me from obtaining an LTC in the future. If that is the price I pay for my stupidity, I suppose I'll have to live with that.

What has me more worried is Chapter 269, section 10(i), which states that: "Whoever knowingly fails to deliver or surrender a revoked or suspended license to carry or possess firearms or machine guns issued under the provisions of section one hundred and thirty-one or one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty, or firearm identification card, or receipt for the fee for such card, or a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, as provided in section one hundred and twenty-nine D of chapter one hundred and forty, unless an appeal is pending, shall be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than two and one-half years or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars."

What should I do going forward? Should I notify the right people ASAP and take whatever they give me, or has the damage already been done, since the LTC already expired?

Hey ! It's not like you planned to fool anyone, right ? It was just an oversight on your part. We all make mistakes. A similar thing happened to a buddy of mine, he moved from Lynn to Chelsea and just forgot to change his address. Upon renewal this was brought to his attention. He did get a lecture on the law, but that was about it. Hopefully everything works out for you.

"Calm yo ass down. " Is the license expired? If so it's a moot point. You can't unring that bell so it's not even worth worrying about. Honestly I would
just reapply however you normally would. Same thing happened to my ex, She moved, LTC expired (in between that after the move) she renewed (with new address) no repercussions.

When I first read the thread title I was thinking "oh this guy got bagged on a DUI or had a kilo of blow in his car" [laugh] something like that, not, "I forgot to fill out the paperwork like a good little boy" type problem. Your situation, isn't a situation at all.

-Mike

"Calm yo ass down. " Is the license expired? If so it's a moot point. You can't unring that bell so it's not even worth worrying about. Honestly I would
just reapply however you normally would. Same thing happened to my ex, She moved, LTC expired (in between that after the move) she renewed (with new address) no repercussions.

When I first read the thread title I was thinking "oh this guy got bagged on a DUI or had a kilo of blow in his car" [laugh] something like that, not, "I forgot to fill out the paperwork like a good little boy" type problem. Your situation, isn't a situation at all.

-Mike
Whelp, it's good to know that the biggest problem here is that I am worrying way too much!

What do you recommend I do, then? Should I just go talk to the local police chief and explain the situation, like what spawner said, or should I re-take the basic firearm safety course, and apply for a new license?

Whelp, it's good to know that the biggest problem here is that I am worrying way too much!

What do you recommend I do, then? Should I just go talk to the local police chief and explain the situation, like what spawner said, or should I re-take the basic firearm safety course, and apply for a new license?
Whatever you do, be truthful. You will have to list you previous license, so there is little point to taking the class again. Go in tell them what happened, that you didn't realize you needed to tell anyone and ask what you need to do. For the time being it might be a good idea to keep your guns with a friend out of MA. No need to complicate things if they ask.
The usual I am not a lawyer.

Your license was never suspended or revoked. That crime is for someone who refuses to turn in a license after the courts or police act against a license. Yours just expired so it's totally different.

See Post #4 for what to do.

I went through the exact same thing. Moved out of state with a valid license, and then moved back after it had expired. I simply went to the chief of police, Introduced myself and told him what had transpired. I showed him my expired license, and we did the paperwork. 2-3 weeks later he dropped my new one off at the house. This was just my experience. Good luck

So you met with CoP himself, not even the licensing officer, and the CoP even made a personal delivery of the new license to your house?? Nice. Care to share which town in MA?

Your card was not suspended or revoked so 269-10(i) does not apply.

This is not a big deal. Probably won't even come up, and there is no question about this you have to answer on the application form other than mentioning you once had a MA LTC.

Don't listen to all these other guys. You're screwed. You need to deliver all your guns, ammo, and accessories to ME immediately for proper disposal. Don't ask questions. Just do it.

:D

So you met with CoP himself, not even the licensing officer, and the CoP even made a personal delivery of the new license to your house?? Nice. Care to share which town in MA?

I've met with both on separate occasions. May have been the licensing officer that did the fingerprinting etc., but was definitely the CoP that delivered it. He just happened to be out in the cruiser that day I think. Town is Bernardston Ma. We have been here for about 5 years, nothing but good experiences so far.

In smaller towns the LO and CoP are usually the say person.

Back
Top Bottom