• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Machinist needed for small one-off milling/drilling job

MisterHappy

NES Member
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
I need a red dot....I finally have to admit it. [laugh]

I don't want to mess with my classic High Standard, so I need a piece made up. a 2" diameter piece of aluminum rod would do for the stock.

It would have to be milled out in a "c" shape more or less, so it can be mounted on the bottom of the barrel, where there are tapped holes for weights.

Two non-threaded holes would need to be drilled in the bottom, to mount to the barrel. The top would need to be milled flat to put on a mount for the red-dot, and a couple of probably tapped holes for a weaver-ish mount.

I could probably knock it our in a couple of hours, and I'm not a machinist.

If you have the requisite machine, and the time (and stock) let me know.

Oh, and before people ask....yeah, I checked online. [laugh] The pistol has a fluted barrel, and I don't want to mess with the existing sights.

Want to upload rough sketch of what you want with dimensions? Ill check if I have stock tonight.

Thanks

Here it is - it is not the best drawing I've done [laugh]. The only critical dimension is the space between the two screw holes on the bottom. Spacing on the top holes for the mount will depend on the mount.

Aluminum is the material of choice - too much weight will be too much weight. Type of Al is not overly relevant.

If you need a better image, I can email it to you so you can zoom in.

DSC03472.jpg

I have been looking for someone who can do small projects also. More or less sight bases for rifle I want to put target sights on.

He's going to need the size of the hole diameters.
And I'm not sure what that "7" is on the bottom of the first end picture.
Also, is it necessary to have radius in the corners of the cut out or can they be straight 90 degree?

That's a " 1 " . Supposed to be a 1-inch offset from that side, so the mounting hole is centered. IIRC, it's a #6 screw. Have to double check.

Radiused internal corners would be nice, aesthetically, but it's probably not a mechanical requirement, as there will be little stress, there.

Holes in the top will be dependent on the mounting hardware for the actual mount.

I don't have anything in stock that size in aluminum. If you can get your hands on some I can take care of the rest.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If I was making something like that, I'd mill in 1" x 1/8" horizontal slots from the 7'oclock - 10'oclock position.

Shouldn't compromise the strength, it would look cleaner and compliment the fluted barrel (I can be anal about stuff like that [smile])

Hey did you ever look at BME mounts? They specialize in red dot mounts that don't require modifying your gun. They have a few high standard mounts.

Hey did you ever look at BME mounts? They specialize in red dot mounts that don't require modifying your gun. They have a few high standard mounts.

I did.. but my application is a no-go: I have a fluted barrel, so the clamp-ons won't work. I don't want to remove my front sight, and the holes in the barrel are on the bottom. Apparently, some had drilled and tapped holes on top, but I'm not that lucky.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Back
Top Bottom