Machining my own compensator

I have some 303 stainless round stock, lathes and bridgeports at my disposal.
Has anyone made one, and or have any suggestions on size/style etc.
I have a basic idea on what i'm going to do, but any info would be helpful.
thanks

...will send you to pmita prison if you're in Mass and violate the AWB

where you at?

what you putting it on?

maybe you're better off not saying?

legalities aside, caliber makes all the difference. rifle, pistol, musket? do tell. stainless can get discolored pretty quickly, you planning on coating it black or something? weight for balance is also a consideration.

Last edited:
Machining a comp should not violate the AWB. IANAL but I can't see how it would. Just make sure it's clearly not a flash hider. Making it with an opening that's about bullet sized instead of wide open would probably help distinguish it.

It's going on an AR, it will clearly be a comp and not a flash hider. Im thinking on just a couple thou, like .002-.004 over the barrel bore. Too much/not enough?

I have built a few. Depends on what you want it to do for you. You can make a effective brake in 30 min a real good one may take you a day or two. But you have access to the machines experiment with them.

Note always check the bore to be sure before you fire. I bought a Mac-11 this summer from a guy who said it was messed up and just kicked to hard. I bought it for a steal got it home and took it out of the case and was able to see the problem right away he had put a 5.56 brake on it! Below is a pic of the brake I removed.

brake_zps6f4723ae.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's ugly.
I'm just looking to make it mass compliant and reduce muzzle rise. I'm just not sure on how much over bore size, I dont want to give it too much.

It's going on an AR, it will clearly be a comp and not a flash hider. Im thinking on just a couple thou, like .002-.004 over the barrel bore. Too much/not enough?

Too tight.

The ones I've used that required final machining came with instructions that said to make the bore 0.020" larger than the bullet diameter.

I thought about making my own, but this one from Shrewd is only $36:

l_860101228_1.jpg

I have built a few. Depends on what you want it to do for you. You can make a effective brake in 30 min a real good one may take you a day or two. But you have access to the machines experiment with them.

Note always check the bore to be sure before you fire. I bought a Mac-11 this summer from a guy who said it was messed up and just kicked to hard. I bought it for a steal got it home and took it out of the case and was able to see the problem right away he had put a 5.56 brake on it! Below is a pic of the brake I removed.

brake_zps6f4723ae.jpg

It's a bullet sizer!

Scrape it out. You can probably cast a bullet or two with all the shredded lead in there.

It was PACKED with lead and copper jackets. I cut it down to see how bad it was. Not sure how many rounds went through it but he bore was just shy of 9mm remember it started as a 5.56..

...will send you to pmita prison if you're in Mass and violate the AWB

where you at?

what you putting it on?

maybe you're better off not saying?

legalities aside, caliber makes all the difference. rifle, pistol, musket? do tell. stainless can get discolored pretty quickly, you planning on coating it black or something? weight for balance is also a consideration.

wrong. MA never tested flash suppression capabilities of muzzle devices, they just copied bullshit from the federal AWB.

unless it's specifically marketed as a flash suppressor you're fine. MA does not and to the best of my knowledge has never tested the flash suppression capability of muzzle devices. even if you hypothetically bought a new production muzzle device marketed as a flash suppressor, for you to be guilty of a crime in the state of MA, the prosecution would have to seize your rifle and test it.

...and if they are taking your guns you're already ****ed.

YMMV, IANAL.

all he said was it kicked too hard? Nothing about rounds tumbling and not hitting the target. And the uncanny feeling that he was cheating death with every squeeze of the trigger?

all he said was it kicked too hard? Nothing about rounds tumbling and not hitting the target. And the uncanny feeling that he was cheating death with every squeeze of the trigger?

I do not think he was cheating death. FYI MAC-11 kick anyway this is why when you see then in a picture they almost always have a rubber thing over the trigger this is because if you do not after the first 20 rounds ur trigger finger feels like it got ran over my a steam roller on the big dig. Stupid just is no matter where you look there they will be.

Back
Top Bottom