1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Machine/shop tools Vices, Drill presses

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrBurnsides, Oct 2, 2015.

1. radioman

radioman NES Member

I just added a Grizzly 5hp table saw to my shop. The machine is the cats nuts. Smooth, more power than I've ever used in a shop saw and the price was unbelievable! Yes, I would like to buy all U.S.A. tools. If I could find a U.S. saw the price would increase by a factor of 10. Even if I could afford that what are my options? Put one saw in my shop or fill my shop with several pieces of equipment for the same price?

When I was a mechanic in the 80s my toolbox was a Mac and all the tools in it were Snap On, Mac, Cornwell, etc. At that time I was single and could afford to invest that type of money. I still have every one of those tools today and they're still like brand-new. Yes an amazing investment but a very expensive one. For the price of one Snap On 1-1/4 wrench I could buy two or three complete sets of Chinese made wrenches?

The question we need to ask is how do the Chinese make a very good product for next to nothing? We are the ones that allow them to manipulate their currency and trade in our country tariff free?

Back on topic, either win the lottery and try to find American made tools that will suit your purpose or buy used or come to grips with the current political situation and buy what's on the shelf. Then vote Trump!!

2. radioman

radioman NES Member

The Shars brand vices work very well for a great price but they are Chinese. A 4 inch Shars milling vice will go for around a 100 bucks. You could buy a U.S.A. made Kurt but that will run you all most 6 bills.

http://www.shars.com/products/toolh...ecision-milling-machine-vise-with-swivel-base

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. radioman

radioman NES Member

The Grizzly bench top unit just came out on top in a shoot out in one of my woodworking journals. I think it was 300 or so but they said hands down it was the best bench top out there.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Drill-Press/G7943?utm_campaign=zPage

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  4. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

I’d like to buy a floor model drill press for drilling light steel, aluminum and wood. There are some older used ones available. The brands don’t seem to mean much anymore. What’s a good choice with a limit of $500?

5. Pike_machine

Pike_machine

I own a machine shop and most of my shop tools are bought from mscdirect they have a side note on there items that let you know if its made in the USA

garandman likes this.
  6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Brimfield is in 3 weeks. Anything there???? Anteex.

7. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

I gave up when I was on Pickering Wharf in the early 1970's. The whole place had gone through a complete renovation and new structures were there. I looked down to see a manhole cover that had been ground off where the maker's name would have been and stamped in that place was, "MADE IN CHINA".

They can import scrap metal from the USA, use our patterns for foundry pours, finish the product and ship it back to the USA cheaper than we can make a product in Salem Ma for Salem Ma. I then thought about all that imported scrap and the foundries running 24-7 with peon slave labor making TANKS with GUNS and knew right then that we were doomed.

My buddy worked in China for a large US corp. He saw the people in rags and flip flops tipping used car batteries over to empty the acid and then crushing them for the scrap lead. The river running close by was the catch basin for the acid and the people in flip flops were bathed in water from upstream of the dumping ground.

There is no way we can compete, they just burn lives to make more stuff. They have too many people and not enough food. Make product and reduce population. We will never compete, just environmentally overcome if we last that long.

The Japanese worried that there was an American and a gun everywhere and we were not capable of being invaded. The Chinese don't care, they can just throw millions after millions at us and they just get stronger because they have less people.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    PaulR likes this.
  8. hv55maxx

hv55maxx NES Member

Northwest Assachusetts where the dragons be
  9. radioman

radioman NES Member

I’m not 100% sure on this but I think I read somewhere
    that there are no lathes made in the United States over 4".

If there were they would be 4x the Chineisum price.

That mill/drill combo you referenced?
    I’d eat my hat if that was US made.

10. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

Sometimes if your patient, and or lucky Craigslist has some really good deals, An old Craftsman 6" Machinist Vise I got for a really decent price a while back. IMG_0077.JPG

mibro likes this.
  11. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Anything Powermatic has been quality for a long time.

12. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

A lot of the companies selling machine tools - have stuff built in a variety of countries. The mainland China stuff can vary between really cheap to pretty good quality. The island China stuff (Taiwan) - is typically of higher quality than the mainland machines.

I don't know about the entire product line - but Bolton Tools definitely sells made in China stuff.

I bought a 48" box and pan metal brake a couple of years ago. I looked around extensively at what was available out there and what was affordable. The American made stuff is just too expensive - unless you're running an actual business on the thing. If you are - then it's worth the money.

Once you get down to the affordable stuff - there was probably at least 8 different companies selling what seemed to be the exact same piece of equipment - usually with some minor differences.

Bolton was one of them: PB4812

There was also (just going by memory):

Jet
    Grizzly
    Shop Fox
    Birmingham
    Baileigh