Machine Guns on the History Channel

At one point in the video, the Gunny alludes to the reason that I have a strong preference for one shot at a time. When he's using one of the guns, he says that the Gunny doesn't carry ammo for that; he has a couple of PFC's tocarry it, while he shoots. Since there weren't any PFC's in my unit, I had to carry every round myself, and only had the ammo that I'd carried with me in a fire fight. Even then, you can never have too much ammo when the targets shoot back. I will admit to having loved those night snoots, ever since Camp Pendleton, as long as it's all outgoing. [wink]

Ken

SiameseRat said:
The first time I shot full auto I had a wicked grin for the next week. [twisted]

+1

I had a friend that I worked with back in Ohio that had a lot of full auto.

I remember once when he asked me how I liked one of the guns we were shooting. When I replied that I loved it, and would like to get into it...he informed me that that rifle cost more than my car. At that time I was driving a brand new Mazda 626 V6.

That's when I realized that it wasn't something that I was going to get into. And would just enjoy it when I would go shooting with him. :D

One of the worst mistakes the military ever made was issuing full auto weapons to infantrymen as the basic infantry weapon. It sort of guaranteed that no one would learn how to become a rifleman. (Certainly that was true when the army was primarily draftees, as it was in the 60s.)

I have to qualify with full autos once every year or so. The qualification is done offhand with 3-round bursts. About half the folks can get Shot No. 1 on the paper (about 3-foot square at 50 yards); about one quarter can keep their second shot on the target frame (about 5 feet by 8 feet); and the rest of the shots are a danger only to birds and low-flying aircraft.

A true machine gun is a crew-served weapon. It was originally considered to be an adjunct of the artillery, and it is designed to be aimed at a coverage area, not a specific target. A machine pistol is designed for essentially room-clearing (or trench-clearing) operations, where the range is 10-15 feet. Anything in between is, in my exprience, usually a waste of ammunition.

JonJ said:
They are fun, especially when you don't have to pay for the ammo!

I don't know! The only time I shot F/A was the PD's S&W 76. Felt like a piece of shit and target was ripped up before I got there (and they weren't changing targets as it didn't count for qualification). I felt the climbing and kept wondering which town the rounds ended up in. I also belonged to that club at the time and was more than a bit concerned if rounds hit a house that was beyond the backstop!

I'd rather take aimed fire over spray 'n pray, even if someone else is paying for the ammo.

I might feel a bit differently if I had had the opportunity to give the Thompsons a little workout, but just for the historical and novelty effect. They haven't been fired in at least 30 years and the PD may someday trade them in, but they will never use them in any way.

Back
Top Bottom