• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Machine gun permit post 7/20

Hi gang. I was wondering if anyone has experienced trouble getting a machine gun permit since Healey's reinvention of the Mass AWB. I'm applying for my C&R first, but I was wondering if they were still being issued at all, given her decree. Worth the effort?

Thanks,

-F

What difference would it make? Her "decree" is meaningless outside of a gun shop's feelings.

Also by definition, at least for pre-86 MGs, none of them can be an "Assault Weapon" because they're all pre-94 anyways.

-Mike

Thanks for the clarification drgrant. I was under the impression her decree excluded even pre-94/86 kit.

edit: I should add that I renewed my LTC recently, and the issuing officer made it a point to mention that preban ARs and whatnot are very much illegal, basically saying 7/20 was the letter of the law. That's what got me thinking of it, is all.

Last edited:
Got nothing to do with her BS. Talk to your LEO before applying tho and ask around folks you may know in your town. You don't want to apply and get denied because from then on out, every time you renew or apply to a different state you will have to answer "Yes" to the "have you ever been denied" question on the application. My 2cents...

Good point, I didn't consider that. You'd think a denial for an MG permit wouldn't be considered the same as a denial for an LTC.

He didn't seem to care if one already had an MA complaint rifle now, but that future sales were indeed verboten, FWIW. Again, this was what got me thinking about the MG card.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification drgrant. I was under the impression her decree excluded even pre-94/86 kit.

edit: I should add that I renewed my LTC recently, and the issuing officer made it a point to mention that preban ARs and whatnot are very much illegal, basically saying 7/20 was the letter of the law. That's what got me thinking of it, is all.

Example # 342,946,342,946,047,329 of why one should NEVER look to police to know firearms law. [rolleyes]

In today's climate, after what happened in Las Vegas, is most likely a bad idea. Even Chiefs who might have said yes previously might think twice in this emotionally/politically charged time. Especially in this state. Not saying you shouldn't, just that waiting a bit until things settle down might be beneficial.

In today's climate, after what happened in Las Vegas, is most likely a bad idea. Even Chiefs who might have said yes previously might think twice in this emotionally/politically charged time. Especially in this state. Not saying you shouldn't, just that waiting a bit until things settle down might be beneficial.

My thoughts exactly.

Got nothing to do with her BS. Talk to your LEO before applying tho and ask around folks you may know in your town. You don't want to apply and get denied because from then on out, every time you renew or apply to a different state you will have to answer "Yes" to the "have you ever been denied" question on the application. My 2cents...
i got my mg license last november. in my town, they had me meet with the chief before i submitted the application and fee. a few days later i got a call saying i was approved. i then filed the paper work and forked over the money.

Only if your chief is retarded, or is a "problem" (namely, a pole up his ass) would this actually matter.

Rational LEOs don't hold the actions of a madman against the whole population.

-Mike

That's not good if he thinks that, that by itself might be a problem, if he believes that a made up edict is law. I think even the AGs office has said that pre 94 is exempt (because thats what the law
actually says) and even her expansive interpretation does not fit into that. Of course the AGs office changes its mind every 10 minutes.

-Mike

In practical terms nobody with a brain gets "denied" officially, on paper, for an MG license unless they're a moron.

Dude Talking to LO: "I have the prerequisites for a machine gun license in MA all laid out. Does the chief issue MG licenses? Is there a way I can meet with him"

LO: "The chief doesn't do MG licenses under any circumstances"

Dude: "Oh well, figures. "

= not a denial.

That's what usually happens.

The alternative is :

LO: "Yes, the Chief does MG licenses but we need X y and Z from you, and the Chief will want an appointment to go over X Y and Z... can I get your number so he or his secretary can call you back to set up a meeting?"

That's how the discussion usually goes.

It's never "Well, apply, and "we'll see" if the LO starts talking to you like a toddler, you know you're already going down the shit road, and the shit pressure will increase,
(NSFW)

and probably be bad. Then at that point you stop and reevaluate. (and if you're really tenacious, you TownHack/wallhack/residency hack and get what you want anyways).

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The denial may come on the MSP end.
Start with finding out if your PD will even process your app.
I know of one town that at least used not even accept a MG app.

i guess it could but talking to the person who does the licensing for my town, they told me if you hold a current ltc and c&r your vetted on the "other end" already and that shouldn't be an obstacle.

this is what i did. driving by the station one day i stopped on a whim to inquire about the procedure. that's when i found out i needed that c&r. i find going in person gets me the answers i need in detail. phone conversations can be hurried, short, curt and incomplete.

That's not good if he thinks that, that by itself might be a problem, if he believes that a made up edict is law. I think even the AGs office has said that pre 94 is exempt (because thats what the law
actually says) and even her expansive interpretation does not fit into that. Of course the AGs office changes its mind every 10 minutes.

-Mike
Remind the guy that a mini 14 or Scar is not banned

i guess it could but talking to the person who does the licensing for my town, they told me if you hold a current ltc and c&r your vetted on the "other end" already and that shouldn't be an obstacle.

this is what i did. driving by the station one day i stopped on a whim to inquire about the procedure. that's when i found out i needed that c&r. i find going in person gets me the answers i need in detail. phone conversations can be hurried, short, curt and incomplete.

One thing the Issueing officer mentioned to me was that the C&R only needs to be valid for the original application? I found this odd but was not asked for my current C&R during renewal.

Prior to the Vegas shooting, I call my LO (Boston) to inquire about a MG license. I was told that I could go ahead and submit my application but that he and the chief (Evans) would do everything within their power to make sure I did not get one. He said I would have to take them to court.

I know of one town that at least used not even accept a MG app.

MSP has NO say on suitability or denying anyone for anything but statutory reasons.

Prior to the Vegas shooting, I call my LO (Boston) to inquire about a MG license. I was told that I could go ahead and submit my application but that he and the chief (Evans) would do everything within their power to make sure I did not get one. He said I would have to take them to court.

There's only a handful of non LEO green card holders in Boston and they've had those licenses for thirty years. Since Menino I don't think any new ones have been issued.

Back
Top Bottom