• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Machine Gun License

Is a C & R license or anything else mandatory to get a machine gun license?
I was thinking that I would just ask the licensing authority in my town (not the chief) if he would issue me one.
Any ideas???

I was thinking that I would just ask the licensing authority in my town (not the chief) if he would issue me one.
Any ideas???

The green card is usually only give out to bona fide colkectors or some other type of person I cant remember.

A C+R is a perfect way to show you are a bona fide collector of firearms to qualify for the green card. Some towns just dont issue them, however. YMMV.

Any ideas???

Yes: Seek the advice of Cross-X if you are taking this leap seriously. If you want any possible hope of even getting to a meeting with the CLEO, you should be prepared.

Any ideas???

Please see http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32851

A C&R is not strictly required, but its easy, doesn't hurt and fulfills the regulatory requirements. Be prepared to spend a minimum of $3000 for a machine gun (that'll get you a M11/9... want an M16? $10,000+). If you have no intention of buying a MG, I would save the $100 for something else...

--EasyD

Any ideas???

Maybe I missed something but what town do you live in that the Chief of Police is NOT the issuing authority?

This should be in the Legal section, which was created for questions of this nature.

Reference to the "stickies" therein would probably make the post unnecessary.

Same old Mass shit. Up to the IA. I've had the green card since you guys were still pissing your pants. Never been asked about the 03 FFL. Just been fortunate enough to live in the "right" town. Sucks. Jack.

If you have no intention of buying a MG, I would save the $100 for something else...

if you have no intention of buying a MG MOST (not all but most) Chiefs wont issue you one. Its even tougher today to get one these days than it used to be even if you want to buy a MG. My Chief gave me mine but wanted to know why I needed it. Once I told him I was buying a Ruger AC-556K he agreed.... however, most Chiefs are not that generous TODAY as they used to be with issuing Green Cards.

Maybe I missed something but what town do you live in that the Chief of Police is NOT the issuing authority?

There are some towns that do not have PDs... Warwick, MA for instance. You may have to go to the State PD in that case. Or the town that covers said town that does not have a PD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas???

actually to answer your question, NO you dont need a C&R license to get a MG licence (green card). However since the law requires that you be either a Firearms Instructor certified by the MA Criminal Justice Training council or a Bono Fide Collector, your Chief may want you to have the C&R first to show that you are in fact a collector. But no nothing says you have to have that prior to getting the green card. I did not need mine. After I got the Green card I ended up getting the C&R just to have it but did not need it to start off.
I will warn you though. I had a difficult time getting mine and I am a Firearms Instructor and a collector and I have known my Chief for years and years and even though he gives me my class A no restrictions he was not too thrilled to give out the green card. I was and am still the only person in my town that he has issued a green card to. So I really dont think he knew much about issuing them and that may or may not help in aquiring one. Getting green cards in MA has never been an easy process and as time goes on it gets harder and harder unless your a cop or know the Chief extremely well. Sorry to say that but its true. I think if you ask everyone in MA that has been issued a green card I think the majority will tell you that it was not just show up and get it on the first shot. I think most would admit that it took some persistent work to get the Chiefs to do it. Now some people probobly had no problems with it but I would bet money that the majority had a harder time.
I honestly believe that this is due to some Chiefs really dont know how the laws read in MA with MGs so they are not thrilled about giving them out. Heck, some Cops dont even know a civilian can legally own a MG. Go figure that one out. So dont act surprised when they look at you like you have 5 heads. I have talked with numerous Chiefs that flat out say, "I wont issue one. Period...." now if they are pushed and pushed by a persistent, law abiding civilian I dont know if they would change their minds. Most Chiefs that dont like to issue them hope that after 1 or 2 times turning someone down, they will just go away and stop asking.
However if you are polite and persistent you may have a shot. It worked for me. I have to give my Chief a lot of credit, he really did come through for me and I dont think he really wanted to to start with. I just kept going back and talking with him about it and I already knew the laws and backed it up by showing him paperwork on it and showed him the gun I wanted to legally buy. Plus I showed him all the red tape I had to go through with the ATF. Finally he felt comfortable about it. I have since been back 2 times to have him sign F4 paperwork for 2 NFA MGs and he has been great. In and out in less than 2 minutes. Once you get the Green card, they are fine and you probobly wont have a problem renewing it. Again, I know a guy who had a green card issued to him back in the early 90s and he never got a MG. He just wanted the plastic to flash and maybe someday he would buy one. Last year he went to get it renewed and the Chief goes, "do you have any MGs?" and the guy said no and the Chief said, "well I guess you dont need the Green card anymore then" and did not renew it and has neglected to since then.
If you have the MG with a valid green card they kind of need to renew it unless they want you to be out of compliance with the law. They dont need to but are more likley to.
your best bet is to find something you want to buy and politely go ask for the green card so you can buy it. If and when he says no just be persistent and polite. Whatever you do dont give up on the first shot. If you really want it, go get it..... But be prepared to be told no first off.
keep us posted,
Rob

Last edited:
Hey be sure to keep us posted on how you make out getting the green card.

It really is something special to aquire one in MA. You will certainly be one of a small and special group in MA.

Keep us posted and good luck. Remember, stick with it and keep working at it if you run into a snag in the start.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom