• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Machine gun license in Reading, MA

Does anyone know if Reading, MA PD is issuing machine gun license's? I want to do my research before I even think about going down that road. Thanks

Call and ask is the only way to know for sure, and only proceed if they Chiefs says they'll issue it.

Tell them that you bought four machine guns at a bar in Dorchester and you need the license to be legal. (LOL). Try to find out (without asking them) if they require you to have the 03 FFL. Some departments do and some don't. Some don't know what that is. Good luck. Jack.
^^^this. Fall River issues and wants to see a C&R. This from the former LO.

Since the law only allows the issuing of a machine gun license for two reasons (instructor of the state police and bone fide collector), having an 03 is mandatory. The local PD might not ask for it, but assume it is needed.

for shits and giggles bored at work reading this thread, I called the reading nonemergency line OP, option 6 for firearms and licensing. guy didn't answer, but listed an email in his voicemail for questions. Id try there. was even gonna ask for you, but alas he was not at his desk apparently. it's really that simple sometimes.

good luck!

This was many years ago now, but when I gave Reading PD a courtesy copy of my 03 application, they had no idea what it was nor what they were supposed to do with it.

"Like, you need the Chief to approve this, sir?"

"No, officer. I'm just providing you with a copy..."

Like I say, this was many many years ago. I'd hope things have gotten a bit more knowledgeable since then...

Since the law only allows the issuing of a machine gun license for two reasons (instructor of the state police and bone fide collector), having an 03 is mandatory. The local PD might not ask for it, but assume it is needed.
Oh really....where in the CMR does it say this?

501 CMR: EXECUTIVE OFFICE OF PUBLIC SAFETY
501 CMR 6.00: BONA FIDE COLLECTORS OF FIREARMS Section
6.01: Do Not Limit Statutory Authority 6.02: Definitions
6.01: Do Not Limit Statutory Authority
Nothing contained in 501 CMR shall be interpreted to limit the authority granted to the criminal history systems board or executive office of public safety by M.G.L. c. 140 et. al and/or any other applicable provisions of the Massachusetts General Laws.
6.02: Definitions
Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms. A “bona fide collector of firearms,” for the purpose of issuance of a machine gun license, shall be defined as an individual who acquires firearms for such lawful purposes as historical significance, display, research, lecturing, demonstration, test firing, investment or other like purpose. For the purpose of issuance of a machine gun license the acquisition of firearms for sporting use or for use as an offensive or defensive weapon shall not qualify an applicant as a bona fide collector of firearms. An individual licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. c. 44, §§ 921-929 and 27 CFR Part 178 shall be deemed a bona fide collector of firearms for the purpose of 501 CMR 6.00.
REGULATORY AUTHORITY
501 CMR 6.00: M.G.L. c. 140, §§ 131(p) and 131(r).

Nothing contained in 501 CMR shall be interpreted to limit the authority granted to the criminal history systems board or executive office of public safety by M.G.L. c. 140 et. al and/or any other applicable provisions of the Massachusetts General Laws.
Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms. A “bona fide collector of firearms,” for the purpose of issuance of a machine gun license, shall be defined as an individual who acquires firearms for such lawful purposes as historical significance, display, research, lecturing, demonstration, test firing, investment or other like purpose. For the purpose of issuance of a machine gun license the acquisition of firearms for sporting use or for use as an offensive or defensive weapon shall not qualify an applicant as a bona fide collector of firearms. An individual licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. c. 44, §§ 921-929 and 27 CFR Part 178 shall be deemed a bona fide collector of firearms for the purpose of 501 CMR 6.00.
REGULATORY AUTHORITY
It says it right there...

"An individual licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. c. 44, §§ 921-929 and 27 CFR Part 178 shall be deemed a bona fide collector of firearms for the purpose of 501 CMR 6.00."

I know there is at least 1 MG license in town (not me). That person got it at least 3 Chiefs ago.

Last edited:

REGULATORY AUTHORITY
Already answered by @moojpg2 . You provided the information in your quote yourself. Proving you are a bona fide collector is arbitrary if the CMR did not make it clear that an 03 met the requirement. Since that costs ~$30 every 3 years that is the way to go.

It says it right there...

"An individual licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. c. 44, §§ 921-929 and 27 CFR Part 178 shall be deemed a bona fide collector of firearms for the purpose of 501 CMR 6.00."
Sorry I disagree...It says "An individual licensed pursuant to........shall be deemed" (or considered, held, thought, believed, viewed, judged ) a boa fide collector.... not necessary, or required.
:rolleyes:

Already answered by @moojpg2 . You provided the information in your quote yourself. Proving you are a bona fide collector is arbitrary if the CMR did not make it clear that an 03 met the requirement. Since that costs ~$30 every 3 years that is the way to go.
Nope!

It says "An individual licensed pursuant to........shall be deemed" (or considered, held, thought, believed, viewed, judged ) a boa fide collector.... not necessary.
:rolleyes:
Sufficient but not necessary. Yes you are semantically correct. Please let me know what other method was successful to prove your status as a bona fide collector. I cannot imagine many departments could be bothered with someone's failure to get a $30/3year license to make their life easier... But ok. You are 100% technically correct. But also wrong [rofl]

I agree an 03 helps your chances but I can find nothing in the CMR's or statues that requires on 03 FFL.

No... I am not wrong!
My PD (excellent dept.) followed the law and issued my green card without requiring an 03. To be honest...I would have spent the $30 if needed, but I didn't...so here we are!
And if someone can show me where it's "mandatory"...I'm all eyes! :cool: [smile]

Last edited:

Lol.

My druthers are to have nothing whatsoever to do with the po-po, and I'd never want them to know anything about my firearms. But the feds require you to inform your local Roscoe P Coltraine when you apply.

Regardless, if you're applying for an MG license, the 5-O are definitely going to find out anyway.

Lol.

My druthers are to have nothing whatsoever to do with the po-po, and I'd never want them to know anything about my firearms. But the feds require you to inform your local Roscoe P Coltraine when you apply.

Regardless, if you're applying for an MG license, the 5-O are definitely going to find out anyway.
Who do you think that you apply to for a MG license?

BATFE doesn't issue them, Sheriffs Depts in MA do not issue them either. You apply to your local chief. So if you don't want the PD to know, you don't bother applying for the MG License (same with an FID or LTC).

Who do you think that you apply to for a MG license?

BATFE doesn't issue them, Sheriffs Depts in MA do not issue them either. You apply to your local chief. So if you don't want the PD to know, you don't bother applying for the MG License (same with an FID or LTC).

Right. That's exactly what I'm saying.

3628.jpg

Back
Top Bottom