• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Machine gun license in MA

I know this topic has been covered, but I have a specific question on the matter.
Now, I know there are certain criterion that must be met in order to be considered for this, but as long as the local pd signs off, how likely is it for one of these to get approved by the state licensing authority? I know a few people who have them, and it seems the hardest part (besides my LE acquaintances that is) is getting the local PD to sign off on them. I'm not necessarily going to waste $100 applying for one just to see, because even if I do get approved (which the odds didn't actually look too unfavorable) I could never justify spending thousands of dollars on something that is going to cost me thousands more to feed...which is one of the reasons I don't have kids yet!

I mean...do they have to approve it unless they can otherwise prove (medical records or other documentation) that one is unfit? And I assume its pretty much the same with LTC however their "decision-making" process goes.

I know this topic has been covered, but I have a specific question on the matter.
Now, I know there are certain criterion that must be met in order to be considered for this, but as long as the local pd signs off, how likely is it for one of these to get approved by the state licensing authority? I know a few people who have them, and it seems the hardest part (besides my LE acquaintances that is) is getting the local PD to sign off on them. I'm not necessarily going to waste $100 applying for one just to see, because even if I do get approved (which the odds didn't actually look too unfavorable) I could never justify spending thousands of dollars on something that is going to cost me thousands more to feed...which is one of the reasons I don't have kids yet!

I think it's fair to say that the chief's approval is the hard part here - the state part as far as I know is pretty much just a slow, expensive background check.

Your last sentence intrigues me... I wonder if mass would give you food stamps to feed your hungry machine gun?! Just tell them your baby is hungry. Just a thought.

I mean...do they have to approve it unless they can otherwise prove (medical records or other documentation) that one is unfit? And I assume its pretty much the same with LTC however their "decision-making" process goes.

No. It's purely "may-issue", and presuming you're not a PD instructor you'll likely need a C&R to provide cover for the "bona-fide collector" reason for issuance. That's not saying it's 100% required, but from what I've heard most areas will expect it as a pre-requisite.

If you are asking about obtaining a MG License (green card) . . .

- Some towns will issue them, some refuse everyone.
- You will likely need to get your C&R FFL first to meet the state criteria as a "collector".
- Every MG you want to purchase requires a sign-off by your local chief and $200 with the paperwork to the Feds. You can allegedly avoid this by setting up a trust for the cost of ? in legal fees.
- You have to be able to afford the MG and to feed its voracious appetite.
- Many clubs prohibit or restrict shooting MGs, so that might be another factor.

Also had you posted this in the NFA or MA Laws sub-forum you'd likely get better answers from those that actually hold a MG License and own those toys.

No offense Len but it looks like you read my thread title and not the material contained within. I can appreciate with the number of posts that you have that you probably have said the same thing at least 20 times to other "noobs" looking for info on something they know nothing about. I don't know nothing but I'm also not here to be a smartass or claim I know any more than anyone else (unless its true, in which case I'd do make my case just as you have with facts and information). However it didn't answer the real question in there.

Barring anything that the state may find to disqualify you, the likelyhood of getting one with the already obtained chief's approval is very good.

The chief is the issuing authority, not the state. That issuing authority is on a "may" issue basis, not a "shall issue basis".

I would also caution you to be truthful on any application and in any interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jr. I am not sure if I understand your question. What lens said is correct.

Is your question, you believe you can get the license, but you are unsure if your Cleo will actually sign off on the transfer forms?

If that is the question, only the Cleo can answer that one. Once you have the license, they absolutely could refuse to sign off, yes. But, if you have the license, it is likely that the same Cleo that issues that license would be inclined to sign off on the transfer form..

If that is the question.. Maybe do a test run, apply for your license and at the same time bring in a form 1 to sbr, see how that goes.

Does anyone have a link for the mg application? Thank you.

Never heard of such a thing. The application should be available at your local PD.

You might as well go pick it up there and get an answer as to whether the chief issues that type of license or not while you're there.

To the OP:

Sorry but I hit "post reply" Just as NES went TU, it was a lengthy response with more info and I'm not about to re-create it.

Suffice it to say, your post was less than clear and I tried to give the layout of how MG licensing works.

Briefly:
State does NOT apply suitability for Resident permits of any kind. They only reject on statutory DQs.
Your local chief determines suitability AND whether or not his policy is never to issue MG licenses. Some green towns absolutely refuse to issue them. ONLY way to know is make some time to sit down with your chief and ask outright. That's what I did. You'll also save $100 if his policy is "no way, nobody gets one".
Applying and getting rejected (even if only due to "policy") means having to explain that on every LTC/permit application I've ever looked at. Not desirable.

Len, perfect answer, that's the information I was looking for. When I was in last week to help the wife file for her LTC A I asked about the MG license and it from the officer's answers they would sign off on it. I just wasn't sure if it was likely/not likely to be accepted or rejected from the state licensing authority based on acceptance/issuance from the local PD.

Back
Top Bottom