Mace at Airport

As a frequent traveler, I see the signs at the airport all the time. The answer is a clear and resounding NO!

From http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items#8

Self Defense Sprays - One 4 ounce (118ml) container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. Self Defense Sprays containing more than 2% by mass of Tear Gas (CS or CN) are prohibited in Checked Baggage. For more information visit www.faa.gov., click on Passengers, then Preparing to Fly.

Pfft, I'm waiting for the day when they don't allow belts or shoe-laces.
Last time I flew the TSA wildabeast gave me crap because I didn't have my toiletries in a baggy...could only imagine if they saw mace.

I am pretty sure JetBlue has a policy against pepper spray in checked baggage, fyi. Not all airlines do though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im just spitballing here, so I could be wrong, but if the can of spray is pressurized similarly to a hairspray aerosol, would it explode if the luggage compartment was not pressurized? Always wondered....

Im just spitballing here, so I could be wrong, but if the can of spray is pressurized similarly to a hairspray aerosol, would it explode if the luggage compartment was not pressurized? Always wondered....

I think that's what happen to MH370.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

I am pretty sure JetBlue has a policy against pepper spray in checked baggage, fyi. Not all airlines do though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave, you are correct. My girlfriend and I just came back from Vegas, visiting family members. No pepper spray/Mace. My 4" Cold Steel "Voyager" folder was OK in checked suitcase. On the way back to Boston, I was singled out for hand-inspection at McCarran Airport in Las Vegas. They were obviously looking for explosives residue.

Dave, you are correct. My girlfriend and I just came back from Vegas, visiting family members. No pepper spray/Mace. My 4" Cold Steel "Voyager" folder was OK in checked suitcase. On the way back to Boston, I was singled out for hand-inspection at McCarran Airport in Las Vegas. They were obviously looking for explosives residue.

Gun powder residue won't test positive.

The reason why I asked is because my wife didn't realize that she had left it in her purse. We went through security and had no issues. Now I don't wanna take the chances. I will probably throw it away and buy a new one when we get back home. Don't feel like getting in trouble over mace.

Wait, you beat logan security system? Awesome !!! This show how incompetent those TSA molester.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Don't risk it again. Getting caught with mace isn't like getting caught with 4 ounces instead of 3 ounces of toothpaste. They could make a big deal out of it. They have to justify their numbers somehow.

Baggage is pressurized. Otherwise any pets on board would die.

I flew Jet Blue out of Logan last month with key chain size pepper spray, in a ziplock bag with toiletries, in checked luggage and had no issues.

I flew Jet Blue out of Logan last month with key chain size pepper spray, in a ziplock bag with toiletries, in checked luggage and had no issues.

Hidden in plain sight. Not a bad idea. Personally I fly too much to risk being put on some sort of TSA watch list. Yes, the list exists, and it makes your life very unpleasant.

I threw it away before going back to the airport to come home. I don't need the aggravation.. honest mistake

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

No it wouldn't.

An aerosol can is pressurized up to around 5 atmospheres anyway. So even if you took it into the vacuum of space it would only experience 1 more atmosphere of pressure differential.

In the big scheme of things, its nickels and dimes.

The problem with Logan and pepper spray is the law that makes it a felony to take any weapon into the airport. I bet they would prosecute under that law if they caught you. A little while ago TSA was thinking of allowing small knives on planes. The sheeple outcry caused them to back away from that plan, but even if TSA allowed knives on planes, MA law would not. Just another dumb MA law

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Can you guys please differentiate between federal and state law.

There is no federal law prohibiting entry into an airport with any kind of legal weapon, guns included, as long as you stay on the "dirty" side.

Is there a MA law prohibiting armed entry even into the public side of the terminal at Logan?

Subieguy - I don't know where you get your information. I've flown through Logan twice in the last year with checked firearms. A shotgun and a pistol in the same case in both instances. It was easy. I had more trouble in Jackson Mississippi.

Also, as a private pilot, I've flown into more airports than i can count in possession of firearms. Many state aviation boards recommend firearms as part of your survival gear. Its actually required by law that you have a firearm on board in some states.

Thank you.

Interesting. I found my out. i used to fly to MV to go shooting.

All persons shall, promptly upon entering
the passenger terminal or General Aviation Terminal, as the case may be, deliver any unloaded
Firearms and ammunition, as they are carrying and licensed to carry under Massachusetts law to the
appropriate Air Carrier agent for transport in the hold of the aircraft, in the case ofcommercialflights,
or directly to the aircraft, in the case of general aviation aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom