MA Turkey hunting clinic 2015

Got this in an email from MassWildlife:

Learn to Hunt Turkeys Clinic
This full-day, hands-on clinic teaches the basic skills needed to become a safe, successful, and responsible turkey hunter. Learn from experienced turkey hunters and practice turkey hunting techniques including shooting, calling in a bird, scouting, and how to pick and set up a location. This one-day clinic is offered in three locations across the state:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/education-events/learn-to-hunt-program.html

mass wildlife is also doing a seminar/guided turkey hunt combo. consists of 3 weekend classes and a hunt on devens. space was limited so it might be full by now...
also, the BOW program will be doing a womens turkey seminar/hunt in the near future.

Something tells me the turkey population is taking a hit this winter gonna be tougher to find them this spring

I seen Turkeys sitting in trees last week in Northboro at the intersection of 9 & 20. Big ones too. Im hoping to take my son on his first Turkey hunt.

Got this in an email from MassWildlife:

Learn to Hunt Turkeys Clinic
This full-day, hands-on clinic teaches the basic skills needed to become a safe, successful, and responsible turkey hunter. Learn from experienced turkey hunters and practice turkey hunting techniques including shooting, calling in a bird, scouting, and how to pick and set up a location. This one-day clinic is offered in three locations across the state:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/education-events/learn-to-hunt-program.html

Thank you!

mass wildlife is also doing a seminar/guided turkey hunt combo. consists of 3 weekend classes and a hunt on devens. space was limited so it might be full by now...
also, the BOW program will be doing a womens turkey seminar/hunt in the near future.

I found out the seminar/guided hunt combo for turkey is a trial and only offered to a selected few recent grads from the hunter's ed program.

not really...the email announcement went to recent hunter ed grads first (which i am not)...i called to sign up a few weeks ago but opted to wait for the BOW event instead. anyhow, these people that put on these clinics do a fantastic job and are more than accommodating. anyone interested should sign up for the masswildlife email list.

All the classes are full

• March 21, 2015, 9:00 A.M - 4:00 P.M. Norco Sportsman’s Club, Princeton, MA. - This clinic is full
  • March 28, 2015, 9:00 A.M - 4:00 P.M. Conway Sportsmen’s Club, Conway, MA. - This clinic is full
  • April 18, 2015, 9:00 A.M - 4:00 P.M. Monument Beach Rod and Gun Club, Monument Beach, MA. - This clinic is full

Call frequently and sometimes showing up will get you in. Ive had a few people more rhan once show up to classes I was teaching and we just sign them in and let them take the class

Anyone who tried to sign up hear anything back?

I emailed the registration form just before I posted this thread, (not all the clinics were full according to the website at the time), but have not gotten any response... nobody has answered the phone the few times I have called as well.

I emailed her today and actually got a response fairly quickly (even though nobody ever answered the phone the several times I called...)
She said I did get in, and that so far she has only notified people who did not get in or were wait listed, and that she would be sending out more info by the end of this week.

Last edited:
Did you look at the additional registration form they sent? A standard liability waiver is not good enough, they want my medical insurance policy number? wtf?

-----

Turkey hunting seminar and guided hunt for women:
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/education-events/outdoorswoman-events.html

Did you look at the additional registration form they sent? A standard liability waiver is not good enough, they want my medical insurance policy number? wtf?

-----

Turkey hunting seminar and guided hunt for women:
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/education-events/outdoorswoman-events.html
Maybe in case they need to have aid rendered and you are unable to provide it verbally at thr time.

Maybe in case they need to have aid rendered and you are unable to provide it verbally at thr time.

Yes, no doubt....

I've never seen that done anywhere else, for probably more dangerous activities too.

Can't I just give them permission to look through my wallet for my insurance card if I get knocked out?

Yes, no doubt....

I've never seen that done anywhere else, for probably more dangerous activities too.

Can't I just give them permission to look through my wallet for my insurance card if I get knocked out?
I doubt it, being an instructor with them ive found they pretty much run by the book.

sent my app for the BOW turkey hunt. it is limited to 25 seminar slots and 10 hunters so if any ladies want to get in they better mail the app quick.

semi-unrelated update: the WITO day (women in the outdoors) usually has a turkey hunting module and the event is scheduled for 7/25 at auburn sportsman's this year. you can get on the email list for BOW or the central mass chapter of the national wild turkey federation to get updates and official announcements.

Last edited:
Dont forget if you cant get in to write mass wildlife and tell them you want more. If youre there give feedback. Im hoping we take on one next year as id give up anothwr weekend for it. Gobbler hunting is the best.

Dont forget if you cant get in to write mass wildlife and tell them you want more. If youre there give feedback. Im hoping we take on one next year as id give up anothwr weekend for it. Gobbler hunting is the best.

Yes it was a great program and I hope they offer more of them, in more locations in the future. It would also be nice to see something similar for duck/goose hunting.

I went to the one today at Conway Sportsmens club. It was a really good program, taught by lots of knowledgeable volunteers.

There were basically four sections to it, where the class was broken in to four groups and went to stations led by a few different groups of instructors.
1) Setup: How to pick a good spot and what to look for (i.e. how to pick the right tree to sit under, or how to position a blind), and how to set up decoys, etc,
2) Shooting: Shot a few rounds to see how to pattern your gun, discussed what size shot dispersion you want at different ranges.
3) Scouting: What to look for for turkey signs (tracks, droppings, etc) how to go about locating roosted turkeys
4) Calling: Different types of turkey calls and when to use them (shock calls, clucks, gobbles, etc) and, sounds like I"m saying the same thing twice... but, different types of calls: Box calls, slate/glass, diaphragm.

There was also a little bit of lecture/video at the beginning and end about history of turkey hunting in MA, turkey hunting laws, safety, and ethics.

Everyone also got a box call and binder full of info regarding everything they covered (I assume, I haven't paged through it yet).

jeez, I have not seen any turkey sign since the snows started to fall last winter!

Back
Top Bottom