MA Trapper Education Course

I just got an email that the Auburn Sportsmen's Club is hosting a Trapper Education Course in April.

April 17th 6:30-9PM & April 27th 8AM-5PM. You have to be at both sessions.

Call 978-772-0693 to sign up.

Unfortunately for me I can't make those dates but maybe someone else can.

2nd email from F&W - Georgetown Fish & Game Association will host Trapper Education on May 22nd 6:30-9PM & June 1st 8AM-5PM Same Number to sign up 978-772-0693.

Last edited:
I took the course at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service office in Hadley. I had no firsthand knoweldge of trapping, and was very much ignorant to it. My only exposure to trapping was from viewing a few trapping television shows, and that anti-trapping campaign in the 90s. I learned a lot about trapping during the course, and was exposed to many varied viewpoints, with regard to the trapping of animals. I gained a new appreciation for the practice, and the many benefits of it. The volunteers running the class did an excellent job. Although I've yet to place any sets (I've got my permit & tags, just no traps), I still feel a sense of fulfilment from attending the course.

Last edited:
Trapping is a good time While trapping in Massachusetts isn't as fun as some of the free states, you can still have fun. I trapped a bunch of beaver in cage traps, which I thought was pretty hard, but it worked out. Don't get me wrong I'd love to run a real trap line.

Only beaver this year. I got a nice otter while trapping a beaver permit, but had to get rid of it since it wasn't the season. Such a waste.

How is Trapping in MA? Is it worthwhile seeing as how I would need a bunch of cages vs the other types of traps?

If your looking to profit from selling furs, given the current fur prices I'd say no it's not worthwhile. Trapping in free states is much more realistic because you can carry more traps in the woods and they cost less. Conibears, footholds and snares are lighter, more effective, and cheaper. They are also more versatile.

One of the main reasons I still enjoy trapping in Massachusetts is because I enjoy studying animal behavior, and you can still challenge yourself by catching animals in cages. Also we have a good fisher population, and they basically walk into cages as they are fearless. You have little chance of catching coyotes in a cage trap here because the use of live bait is prohibited.

I just completed the course in CT since when I looked into it back in the fall, MA had nothing on the schedule. Needless to say, CT has way more options but now that I have read the MA regulations I am still unsure of one aspect. I know MA can only use cage traps for beaver, before I bug Fish & Game, can anyone tell me if those cage traps can be completely submerged? I have heard they need to be live capture only but I see nothing in the actual regs saying as much. Thanks for any info you can provide this newbie.

MA Trapping Regs

**edit** I think I found my answer. Bill S.2646

Last edited:
I just completed the course in CT since when I looked into it back in the fall, MA had nothing on the schedule. Needless to say, CT has way more options but now that I have read the MA regulations I am still unsure of one aspect. I know MA can only use cage traps for beaver, before I bug Fish & Game, can anyone tell me if those cage traps can be completely submerged? I have heard they need to be live capture only but I see nothing in the actual regs saying as much. Thanks for any info you can provide this newbie.

MA Trapping Regs

**edit** I think I found my answer. Bill S.2646
re: Bailey/Hancock

It is illegal to:​

9. Trap on land with a Bailey or Hancock beaver trap or other suitcase type cage trap of similar design, except when set upon a beaver dam or beaver lodge, snag, stump, rock, or other above-water protrusion entirely or substantially surrounded by water, or, when the pan of such trap is not completely submerged.

10. Trap with a Bailey or Hancock beaver trap or other suitcase type cage trap of similar design without having completed a training session and having been issued a certificate of completion as provided for in 321 CMR 3.02(5)(c)2., or to fail to carry such certificate on one’s person when using such traps.

Back
Top Bottom