MA Towns Suspending Licensing?

We submitted my wife's renewal form 60 days ago in Millbury. They brought over a receipt the next day. Still, 59 days so far and no new LTC... She expired March 27.

Ok, now I am not a happy camper,,,,, I just got a phone call from the CoP of my town, He was pleasant, called me by my first name, and wanted to schedule a meeting for Jun 17 for my LTC, He stated "since it was my first time", i'm hoping he meant in this town since i have been licensed since 1978. So my Question to you guys that have lived here all your "Ltc" years, cause i haven't... Is this a normal part of the procedure ? Is everything back and ready other than his interview ? or is this just the first step and i wont see my renewal until Jesus's 2nd coming ? I would really appreciate some honest answers considering i was actually happy a week ago when i turned the renewal in. Thank You Paul

Ok, now I am not a happy camper,,,,, I just got a phone call from the CoP of my town, He was pleasant, called me by my first name, and wanted to schedule a meeting for Jun 17 for my LTC, He stated "since it was my first time", i'm hoping he meant in this town since i have been licensed since 1978. So my Question to you guys that have lived here all your "Ltc" years, cause i haven't... Is this a normal part of the procedure ? Is everything back and ready other than his interview ? or is this just the first step and i wont see my renewal until Jesus's 2nd coming ? I would really appreciate some honest answers considering i was actually happy a week ago when i turned the renewal in. Thank You Paul

NOTHING has been done yet. CoP probably doesn't even send it to the state until after your interview. Why can't he see you until June 17th? Why not today or tomorrow? Is he THAT busy?

This could range for a CoP who simply wants to meet all applicants to one on a scavenger hunt for a reason to deny. No motivation can be determined from the info given. He probably did mean "first time" (as in "This department has no file on you...."). Time to worry is if (s)he asks if you still beat your wife.

I would exercise caution and recommend showering withing 24 hours of the meeting. Chances are likely that nothing is "back and ready", but will be sent out after the interview.

Well our update isn't great. our police department called my wife yesterday. Less then a week since she mailed in her app. Fairly quick. Probably sat on the Sargent's desk for a day so I'm ok with that. However it goes downhill from here. They told her that they were going to shred her check. Because of all this covid junk they are not letting people into the station. They also did not give her a timeline to when this might change. Hopefully not too far from now.

Well our update isn't great. our police department called my wife yesterday. Less then a week since she mailed in her app. Fairly quick. Probably sat on the Sargent's desk for a day so I'm ok with that. However it goes downhill from here. They told her that they were going to shred her check. Because of all this covid junk they are not letting people into the station. They also did not give her a timeline to when this might change. Hopefully not too far from now.

:mad: If they opened the envelope enough to know it was a check and application they could have put it aside open and come back to it later if they were that paranoid.

Is there a phone number for the state, so one can check status? My expiration is getting close. We have 40 days after expiration "grace period", correct? Or is it 90? What then?

Is there a phone number for the state, so one can check status? My expiration is getting close. We have 40 days after expiration "grace period", correct? Or is it 90? What then?

You have indefinite time after expiration, IF you get your app in, and it's submitted to the State, and you get a receipt.

The issue is that not all towns are equally accommodating, WRT doing what needs to be done.

IF you have your app in, you're good. IF you have the receipt.

I have the receipt from the PD. I spoke with them yesterday, and he said the state is a couple weeks behind, and the whole process is about 6 weeks. I think I got mine in the beginning of April, so it is a bit over that. He said it will come to me in the mail. He also said I am OK for some time after today. Finally, he also said they are not taking new applications right now, only renewals, because the station is closed to the public.

I have the receipt from the PD. I spoke with them yesterday, and he said the state is a couple weeks behind, and the whole process is about 6 weeks. I think I got mine in the beginning of April, so it is a bit over that. He said it will come to me in the mail. He also said I am OK for some time after today. Finally, he also said they are not taking new applications right now, only renewals, because the station is closed to the public.
Good that you got the receipt.
But they always lie and blame the delay on the state because they figure you won't call the state and check, which you can. This has been pretty well established when people do call and from here were one town will claim the state is way behind but another town will get it done quickly, it's the same pipe at the state.

I dropped off my renewal yesterday. The clerk was full of misinformation. Wouldn't give me a receipt because she said she didn't take my picture yet. I insisted, and received a generic receipt out of a receipt book with her name on it and reason for the receipt, but no police dept. name or logo on it. So it is basically useless, except in my town. She told me there was a long list of people who are trying to renew and once the governor opens the state back up, we will be called for our photograph. She also told me that all gun shops were still closed. This beauty replaced another clerk who was full of dangerous misinformation too, so the trend continues. The last I checked, the 2A doesn't stop or delay due to a pandemic, just like the first amendment doesn't.

Last edited:
I insisted, and received a generic receipt out of a receipt book with her name on it and reason for the receipt, but know police dept. name or logo on it. So it is basically useless, except in my town.

Frankly it is useless in your town as well.

I would be going back telling them I need the required MIRCS receipt and asking to see the licensing officer.

🐯

No problem if they need to do something TO you. Big problem if they need to do something FOR you.

Frankly it is useless in your town as well.

I would be going back telling them I need the required MIRCS receipt and asking to see the licensing officer.

🐯
I would say "limited use". If this goes on for a long time and you exceed the 90 day extension you get without doing a pre-expiration renewal, that receipt could save you from an "expired LTC civil charge" as it meets the requirements of the law. It is useless for face to face eFA10's, buying guns/ammo, and probably not accepted as facially valid by many (most?) cops.

Buddy in Boston, new license, was supposed to go for the interview but everything was shut down a week before his interview. They told him they would call him with a new date.

He told me today he is still waiting. He called and they said they would call him.

Buddy in Boston, new license, was supposed to go for the interview but everything was shut down a week before his interview. They told him they would call him with a new date.

He told me today he is still waiting. He called and they said they would call him.

I got tell you we have heard enough of these stories that I fully expected a lawsuit to be underway in MA by now.

🐯

Had my renewal in Worcester this morning, very quick and easy. They had some funny guys in the office that's for sure. Gave me a Sept. 21st date to call. I Image FRB is backed up or something? That's going to suck being on a expired license for two months.

Our police dept called yesterday. My wife is going in today for her interview. I guess they gave her the option of going in yesterday as well as Saturday. Took a few months but it is still better then what some people I know went through even before this covid thing.

Here's the update. Wife was in and out quickly. She got approved for LTC Class A. Officer said it would be 4 to 5 weeks for the state which if it's that quick I'll be surprised but maybe it will be with other places still not doing licensing. My 4 year old had to go since I was at work which they were fine with and the officer gave her a stuffed animal to boot. Overall I didn't care for the few month delay for my wife but considering the circumstances I understand why and I am very happy with our police department. Gotta love a small town.

Here's the update. Wife was in and out quickly. She got approved for LTC Class A. Officer said it would be 4 to 5 weeks for the state which if it's that quick I'll be surprised but maybe it will be with other places still not doing licensing. My 4 year old had to go since I was at work which they were fine with and the officer gave her a stuffed animal to boot. Overall I didn't care for the few month delay for my wife but considering the circumstances I understand why and I am very happy with our police department. Gotta love a small town.
My LTC renewal is going on 4 weeks now. Called today and they said it was still pending review with the FRB. Hopefully you can get it faster.

Had my renewal in Worcester this morning, very quick and easy. They had some funny guys in the office that's for sure. Gave me a Sept. 21st date to call. I Image FRB is backed up or something? That's going to suck being on a expired license for two months.
As long as you applied for the renewal before expiration date, your MIRCS receipt will give you an unlimited grace period.
Just use it with your old ltc and pin if you expire before getting the new one.

Does this apply to renewal? My license is due for renewal 09/2021. When is the right time to begin the process?

What happens if you submit your renewal months ahead of time but still don't get it and your current license expires?

Does this apply to renewal? My license is due for renewal 09/2021. When is the right time to begin the process?

What happens if you submit your renewal months ahead of time but still don't get it and your current license expires?
I'd submit 6 months prior, likely MA will still be in COVID crisis mode still at that point.

As long as you submit prior to expiration AND you receive the signed MIRCS receipt (it's the only one that counts), you have an unlimited grace period past expiration.

Back
Top Bottom