MA Towns Suspending Licensing?

My LTC expires in January 2021. I have a "tickler" item in my calendar to submit the renewal six months in advance, i.e. in July 2020.

It looks like this lockdown/"shelter-in-place" situation is going to go on a lot longer than I'd planned on . What should I do? Just keep my ear to the ground and see what the situation is in July? If the S-I-P is still in effect, call my town PD and ask what they're doing? Sit on it a while longer and see if the S-I-P lifts in time to file a renewal?

I would just call the PD to see what they say, otherwise you could end up in the situation I'm in where you get within a month of exp and they ain't returning your calls, etc.

Usually most wont even consider it 6 months out but I don't think there is anything mechanical stopping them, unless EOPS has a policy of only doing it in a 3 month window.

-Mike

My LTC expires in January 2021. I have a "tickler" item in my calendar to submit the renewal six months in advance, i.e. in July 2020.

It looks like this lockdown/"shelter-in-place" situation is going to go on a lot longer than I'd planned on . What should I do? Just keep my ear to the ground and see what the situation is in July? If the S-I-P is still in effect, call my town PD and ask what they're doing? Sit on it a while longer and see if the S-I-P lifts in time to file a renewal?

Yes, contact the PD. Their answer, whatever it is, is the only one that realistically matters. Quite frankly, they might not know the answer any better than you do, but I'd use email and save it. All you can do is follow what they're telling you to do, and it might make sense to capture those communications just in case.

I would just call the PD to see what they say, otherwise you could end up in the situation I'm in where you get within a month of exp and they ain't returning your calls, etc.

Usually most wont even consider it 6 months out but I don't think there is anything mechanical stopping them, unless EOPS has a policy of only doing it in a 3 month window.

-Mike
A number of years ago Michaela told me that FRB will process 6 months prior to expiration.

@drgrant @Picton thanks very much, both of you. I guess I'll wait and see where we are at the end of the summer. Hopefully this will all be over by then, or, if it's not, local police departments will have worked out a way to accept license applications. I'll panic if it's October (3 months before expiration) and nothing's been worked out yet.

-Mike

Boston processed my daughter's renewal (she has the DCJIS receipt) 8 months early.

@drgrant @Picton thanks very much, both of you. I guess I'll wait and see where we are at the end of the summer. Hopefully this will all be over by then, or, if it's not, local police departments will have worked out a way to accept license applications. I'll panic if it's October (3 months before expiration) and nothing's been worked out yet.
Personally I would never wait that long. 5-6 months out is when I normally did my (and my Wife's) submittals for renewal and oftentimes they came in just shortly before expiration.

I had my in person meeting for renewal in Weymouth a little over 8 months ago and still no word. I heard they stopped processing at the end of March? Anyone gotten a renewed license from them during in the past several months?

I had my in person meeting for renewal in Weymouth a little over 8 months ago and still no word. I heard they stopped processing at the end of March? Anyone gotten a renewed license from them during in the past several months?
Time to politely contact your chief or selectmen.

I'm not a lawyer but thought if I was in the situation on renewing I would.
1) make attempts to comply prior to expires
2) document those attempts, possibly even registered mail
3) submit application by mail prior to expiration to local PD
4) prior to it expiring and if no license received i would sent another letter having an atorney review and help write, STATING SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT.
THIS LETTER IS TO INFORM YOU THAT I RETAIN MY RIGHT TO CARRY ….. AND ALL OF ALL RIGHTS OF CLASS A LTC ….. "FOREVER" AND YOU THE STATE HAVE WAVED THE RIGHT TO HAVE ME REAPPLY ANYTIMNE IN THE FUTURE. OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

I WOULD NEVER REAPPLY EVER AFTER THAT.

4) prior to it expiring and if no license received i would sent another letter having an atorney review and help write, STATING SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT.
THIS LETTER IS TO INFORM YOU THAT I RETAIN MY RIGHT TO CARRY ….. AND ALL OF ALL RIGHTS OF CLASS A LTC ….. "FOREVER" AND YOU THE STATE HAVE WAVED THE RIGHT TO HAVE ME REAPPLY ANYTIMNE IN THE FUTURE. OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

We all understand where you're coming from, but your (or my) opinion that the Commonwealth has waived its right to require further renewals isn't worth the electrons used to put the words on this screen, and never trying to renew will get you a chance to get to know some law enforcement people, including a judge in one of the criminal courts, up close and personal.

Might as well send the IRS a letter stating that you are exempt from taxes while you are at it as it will be equally effective.

ps: It's waived.
including a judge in one of the criminal courts, up close and personal.
Carry on an expired LTC is civil, not criminal, unless one has been denied a renewal; been revoked for reason other than failure to file a change of address or become a PP.

-Mike

Mine was to expire in October 2020, as soon as this crap started I did this. This was a renewal of a LTC issued by a different town then where I reside now. also I am a MA BFS instructor, NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, hold a FFL-003 write a letter to the Chief telling him what a swell guy I am, and summit a copy of every certificate I hold and from every class I took. Every Town is different YMMV.
Dateline
March 20, 2020 mailed application with supporting documents via USPS
certified return receipt requested.
March 23, 2020 PD signed that they received application.
April 1, 2020 check to Town of Middleton clears my bank.
April 13, 2020 New LTC arrived in mail, photo from DMV, date of issue
10/27/2020, expiration date 10/27/2026. Restrictions none.

Did you at least get the DCJIS receipt at least your ass is covered then.... I'd still follow Len's advice, though.

As to your second question they are still doing licenses at the state level so that shouldn't be an issue there are other people here on the board who have just received new licenses in the past couple of weeks....

I sent an email to the licensing officer. Another officer showed up at my door today and hand delivered my LTC to me.
According to the date it was issued in January, wonder if they changed licensing guys or it got forgotten somewhere.

Either way I got the best surprise of all surprises, they removed my restrictions!

I sent an email to the licensing officer. Another officer showed up at my door today and hand delivered my LTC to me.
According to the date it was issued in January, wonder if they changed licensing guys or it got forgotten somewhere.

Either way I got the best surprise of all surprises, they removed my restrictions!
I bet they changed roles somewhere along the line, and it turned up when going through the old guy's mail, so they decided to be decent and get it to you quick. Maybe your email jogged them to check with the state, who said it was at the PD. Congratulations on the no restrictions. What town?

Last edited:
I heard from one of my co-workers that Worcester isn't even making appointments for new licenses right now.

He wants to renew/apply again (long stupid story made short, his renewal was denied because the check didn't clear) and since it is a "new application", not a renewal, no appointments will be made until further notice. Renewals they would do.

I heard from one of my co-workers that Worcester isn't even making appointments for new licenses right now.

He wants to renew/apply again (long stupid story made short, his renewal was denied because the check didn't clear) and since it is a "new application", not a renewal, no appointments will be made until further notice. Renewals they would do.
From what the officer tells me every time I've called is their license division is completely shut down. They aren't doing new applications or renewals.

-Mike
A number of years ago Michaela told me that FRB will process 6 months prior to expiration.

There is nothing stopping them from doing it whenever they feel like it. I renewed 3 years early on my first license (To get the restrictions removed after moving to a new town) and it went through. The BS the weymouth LO at the time pulled (Refusing to expire early) caused some oddness with the new license having an issue date of the old license end date but otherwise it all worked.

There is nothing stopping them from doing it whenever they feel like it. I renewed 3 years early on my first license (To get the restrictions removed after moving to a new town) and it went through. The BS the weymouth LO at the time pulled (Refusing to expire early) caused some oddness with the new license having an issue date of the old license end date but otherwise it all worked.

I'm pretty sure that one can only have 1 active MA LTC at a time. To me this would mean that even though you got a new license with no restrictions, the old license (the one with restrictions) would be active until it expires. In other words, the new license wouldn't be valid for carrying on until its issue date.

I recently moved from Medford (which always restricts 1st-time LTCs) to Melrose (which never does) and Medford refuses to expire my LTC early. I called Melrose and the LO was very sympathetic and even offered to renew me early, but he said the same thing would happen (the new LTC would have an issue date coincident with the expiration date of my old LTC, so it effectively wouldn't be good for carrying until then).

From what the officer tells me every time I've called is their license division is completely shut down. They aren't doing new applications or renewals.
Not all licenses. So, what is the problem?
1589591445885.png

Lots of places they could help the residents of Worcester. Here's another page:
1589591791789.png

My wife was supposed to go in for her new application in March, just before all of this started, and received a phone call telling her that they were shutting down and would call her when they can reschedule.

A guy I work with just went there the other day to pick up his renewed license. He met the guy in the parking lot of the police station and was handed the license. I'm assuming he started the process in advance of everything going on.

Got my renewal done today, LO met me in the garage bay at the PD and took a new pic there, took paperwork + check, then he met me at my car and gave me app receipt.
Interesting they took a new pic then and there. I expected them to request a current pic when I renewed recently but they just used my DL pic on file.

They never mentioned a photo to me, so I guess they just reuse the prior one.

What is this CJIS receipt someone mentioned? I got a receipt from the police department, and a copy of my check. I think it has been 3 weeks so far since I applied, and I have about 3 left. I guess I just need to give them a little more time.

My license expires in August. I just got the note from the State about renewing. The PD tells me it will take up to 90 days to process, but they won't tell me what the plan is until the beginning of July, roughly 6 weeks before it expires.

Good times.

They never mentioned a photo to me, so I guess they just reuse the prior one.

What is this CJIS receipt someone mentioned? I got a receipt from the police department, and a copy of my check. I think it has been 3 weeks so far since I applied, and I have about 3 left. I guess I just need to give them a little more time.
It's an 8.5 x 11 paper receipt printed out when the PD enters your renewal application into MIRCS and is given to you by PD taking your application. If you have something else, the system likely does not know about your renewal.

It's an 8.5 x 11 paper receipt printed out when the PD enters your renewal application into MIRCS and is given to you by PD taking your application. If you have something else, the system likely does not know about your renewal.
Is this something they have to do by law? If so, which law? I'd like to call and request this today. Then again, the chief said they were extending everything.

Back
Top Bottom