MA Towns Suspending Licensing?

I just got off the phone with Boston Police Licensing Dept. They are doing renewals by email. They sent me a copy of the application. All you have to do is fill it out and email it along with a copy of your expiring LTC and DL. Payment is made on line as well. Once they receive the application, they will enter it and email you the MIRCS receipt.

I just got off the phone with Boston Police Licensing Dept. They are doing renewals by email. They sent me a copy of the application. All you have to do is fill it out and email it along with a copy of your expiring LTC and DL. Payment is made on line as well. Once they receive the application, they will enter it and email you the MIRCS receipt.
Amaze your friends! Show them this.

With departments doing renewals via email you have to wonder why they haven't been doing it this was for years? With emails it's just a few minutes of time, of an admin, not even an officer, so it saves on labor costs as well.

It's a rhetorical question, we all know why.

Normally in Boston, you have to qualify at Moon Island every renewal. The email said nothing about qualifyling. I wonder if this might be the end of going to Moon Island.

With departments doing renewals via email you have to wonder why they haven't been doing it this was for years? With emails it's just a few minutes of time, of an admin, not even an officer, so it saves on labor costs as well.

It's a rhetorical question, we all know why.
Game changer.

Normally in Boston, you have to qualify at Moon Island every renewal. The email said nothing about qualifyling. I wonder if this might be the end of going to Moon Island.

it does prove that all the excess bullshit they put us through is not needed at all. I think this whole pandemic and the handling of it could put forth a good case of why we shouldn’t need licensing to begin with (not likely to happen), or that we should not need to jump through the hoops with unnecessary procedures like shooting qualifications, essays and letter.

Please remember that the MIRCs receipt doesn't mean that the chief has to give you the LTC. The application is only one step. They could hand you your LTC on Moon Island after you pass the shoot test, months from now. It is a step in the right direction but until that LTC is in your hand I wouldn't bet on anything.

It is the Chief who is the issuing authority and puts the steps in any order he/she wants to.

Last edited:
If you are having trouble getting a new license or a renewal, carry the Original Gun Permit...

718sRDu04bL._AC_SX466_.jpg
I've got The Constitution and The Bill of Rights on my phone as iBooks. Always handy when needed. 🇺🇸

Please remember that the MIRCs receipt doesn't mean that the chief has to give you the LTC. The application is only one step. They could hand you your LTC on Moon Island after you pass the shoot test, months from now. It is a step in the right direction but until that LTC is in your hand I wouldn't bet on anything.

It is the Chief who is the issuing authority and puts the steps in any order he/she wants to.

Should have added this last line of the email "You will receive your new LTC / FID via US mail. We encourage you to complete the process as soon as possible." No mention of going to Moon Island or scheduling a qualification.

This is the Framingham PD response.......

Due to the recent coronavirus outbreak the Police department has suspended all firearms licensing activities, this includes accepting new and renewal applications, fingerprinting and issuing of renewed licenses. We will resume all licensing activities as soon as it is safe to do so. Please check back after Monday May 18 for an update. Thank you for your patience during these trying times. We will treat any expired Licenses as renewals which will make the procedure the same as it would normally be.

Nice that they are treating an expired license as a renewal...I wonder if John Law will be as accommodating, when you're found with an expired license, in possession of a heater.....
Legally it can be expired 10 yrs and it is still a renewal. Only difference between a renewal and new app is the class cert and fingerprints. Everything else is the same.

Legally, it is a civil infraction for possession on an expired LTC/FID (without the MIRCS receipt) beyond 90 days from expiration. They still have prosecuted people criminally (felony) for this however (the case I testified in), and I'm sure they have done this many times (and I wouldn't be surprised if they also convicted).

Nice that they are treating an expired license as a renewal...I wonder if John Law will be as accommodating, when you're found with an expired license, in possession of a heater.....

I heard when they book you they give you a complementary bottle of k-y jelly.

Legally it can be expired 10 yrs and it is still a renewal. Only difference between a renewal and new app is the class cert and fingerprints. Everything else is the same.

Legally, it is a civil infraction for possession on an expired LTC/FID (without the MIRCS receipt) beyond 90 days from expiration. They still have prosecuted people criminally (felony) for this however (the case I testified in), and I'm sure they have done this many times (and I wouldn't be surprised if they also convicted).

But I think this is only true if a renewal application has been submitted, no? If no application has been submitted, aren't you SOL when the LTC expires?

If Gross and the licensing officers had their way yes, other than maybe first applications. Walsh on the other hand would be flapping his arms having a bird if he knew.

Acccording to Swatgig, no, if submitted after expiration MGL allows a 90 day grace period.

Yes, but only 90 days if you don't have the renewal in. I think that if you get a renewal application in and it's accepted for processing your expired LTC is good until renewed or denied.

What Framingham appears to be saying is that they'll treat an expired LTC with no renewal application pending as good without a time limitation. They might be willing to do that, but no one else is going to.

Renewed my LTC on 2/26/20. The receipt says current LTC is valid until approved or denied. My birthday is not until late June.

I sent in my renewal to Pembroke 4/13,
Called last week to check the status and ask about the receipt was was told they will issue a receipt when they process the application. They had no idea when that would be. They also haven’t cashed my check yet. I also don’t need it until August.

My LTC expires in January 2021. I have a "tickler" item in my calendar to submit the renewal six months in advance, i.e. in July 2020.

It looks like this lockdown/"shelter-in-place" situation is going to go on a lot longer than I'd planned on . What should I do? Just keep my ear to the ground and see what the situation is in July? If the S-I-P is still in effect, call my town PD and ask what they're doing? Sit on it a while longer and see if the S-I-P lifts in time to file a renewal?

Back
Top Bottom