MA Towns Suspending Licensing?

If you are having trouble getting a new license or a renewal, carry the Original Gun Permit...

718sRDu04bL._AC_SX466_.jpg

You're still taking a risk--a guy was arrested a while back in one town for having a pending renewal. And the policeman who arrested him was the town's licensing officer. Of course it got thrown out but that was an ugly case.
Absolutely correct. Police don't care about no stinkin law. If they have it in for you, you goin down. It happens all the time. Who's going to stop them? What are you going to do shoot back to protect yourself from an unlawful arrest? Let me know how that works out for you.

Wareham hasn't needed them for my last 2 renewals. That's the way it should be.

I wonder what the logic is behind requiring prints at renewal time. Do they think your fingerprints have changed?

A photo makes sense--sometimes peoples' appearance can change drastically in six years. Hair falls out, hair turns grey, different length/style, weight gained or lost, whatever. I sure don't look the same as I did when I was 21.

I wonder what the logic is behind requiring prints at renewal time. Do they think your fingerprints have changed?

A photo makes sense--sometimes peoples' appearance can change drastically in six years. Hair falls out, hair turns grey, different length/style, weight gained or lost, whatever. I sure don't look the same as I did when I was 21.
They used my current drivers licence photo.

My license is up for renewal in October, is there any down side to me submitting my renewal now?

My license is up for renewal in October, is there any down side to me submitting my renewal now?

Besides the fact that many towns have shut down renewals?
Some PDs will also not start the effort until 3 months prior to your current license expiring.

Do it if they will accept it.

Besides the fact that many towns have shut down renewals?
Some PDs will also not start the effort until 3 months prior to your current license expiring.

My town is a green town and the police chief seems pretty Pro 2A. They just put out a call for hand sanitizer donations, perhaps if I drop off a couple bottles w/ my renewal application? Lol (I'm dropping off a couple of bottles either way).

I'm not sure what this means
My license expires on 05/06/2020 and the bottom of my receipt says "Chapter 284 of the Acts of 2014, sections 36 and 54 respectively, creates an INDEFINITE grace period for FID and LTC for who has submit a renewal application prior to to the Expiration of their license". Now I had my interview & picture taken on 2/25/2020 and at 72 years old there is no fee at all. Hope this helps.

If you are having trouble getting a new license or a renewal, carry the Original Gun Permit...

718sRDu04bL._AC_SX466_.jpg
That is a beautiful version of The United States Constitution.

I found a source...

Just note that the current one is valid until expiration date, not when you receive the new one. Had a woman come in with her new LTC that wasn't valid until next week, thankfully she hadn't thrown her old one out and we could complete the sale.

I’ve had a customer come in with expired LTC but he had a receipt from his PD dated prior to the expiration date, a verification thing stating it was still valid printed off of FRBs website portal from that same day and when I went to complete the EF10 it allowed me to.

Side note from my own personal experience. Last time I had to renew my LTC I applied and had my interview (fingerprints) prior to the Ltc expiring but my ltc expired prior to receiving new LTC in the mail, my expired LTC was valid for a month or so (I checked on the FRB portal thing every week or so) then one day is was expired or not valid or something different that valid . I called up FRB and they said something along the lines of that’s because ur new Ltc has been issued and activated. So for purchasing purposes I guess the time between the time it was activated and the time it was mailed to my house I more than likely wouldn’t have been able to purchase a firearm with then expired LTC cause a dealer wouldn’t have been able to complete the transaction MIRCS. this window was only a couple of days

Mendon will now accept renewals electronically.

Glad to see this.

Drove to Salisbury Beach for Christy's Pizza and saw a sign outside the PD Station saying: "LTC Permit Process Suspended" or something to that effect.
Found this on their web site:

License to Carry (LTC) NEW Applications INFORMATION BELOW.
UPDATES TO FOLLOW FOR NEW APPLICANTS. AS OF TODAY, NO NEW LTC APPLICATIONS ARE BEING ACCEPTED
ALL CURRENT APPLICATIONS ARE STILL BEING PROCESSED AFTER THE INITIAL WALK-IN THAT HAVE TAKEN PLACE
IF YOU ARE A RENEWAL
, please download an application on our website (LINK BELOW),fill it out in full, then make check or money order payable to Town of Salisbury $100

Drove to Salisbury Beach for Christy's Pizza and saw a sign outside the PD Station saying: "LTC Permit Process Suspended" or something to that effect.
Found this on their web site:

License to Carry (LTC) NEW Applications INFORMATION BELOW.
UPDATES TO FOLLOW FOR NEW APPLICANTS. AS OF TODAY, NO NEW LTC APPLICATIONS ARE BEING ACCEPTED
ALL CURRENT APPLICATIONS ARE STILL BEING PROCESSED AFTER THE INITIAL WALK-IN THAT HAVE TAKEN PLACE
IF YOU ARE A RENEWAL
, please download an application on our website (LINK BELOW),fill it out in full, then make check or money order payable to Town of Salisbury $100
If only Worcester would get their head out of their ass and do something like this! I already have my electronic prints and a photo with the RMV last year!

My license expires on 05/06/2020 and the bottom of my receipt says "Chapter 284 of the Acts of 2014, sections 36 and 54 respectively, creates an INDEFINITE grace period for FID and LTC for who has submit a renewal application prior to to the Expiration of their license". Now I had my interview & picture taken on 2/25/2020 and at 72 years old there is no fee at all. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the chapter 284 heads up. I went in for mine on 2/11. I can breath easier now. Still don't trust them.

A little birdy told me they don't typically change the status in MIRCS until about a month after the license expires. Right now who knows how long it'll take.

I’ve had a customer come in with expired LTC but he had a receipt from his PD dated prior to the expiration date, a verification thing stating it was still valid printed off of FRBs website portal from that same day and when I went to complete the EF10 it allowed me to.

Side note from my own personal experience. Last time I had to renew my LTC I applied and had my interview (fingerprints) prior to the Ltc expiring but my ltc expired prior to receiving new LTC in the mail, my expired LTC was valid for a month or so (I checked on the FRB portal thing every week or so) then one day is was expired or not valid or something different that valid . I called up FRB and they said something along the lines of that’s because ur new Ltc has been issued and activated. So for purchasing purposes I guess the time between the time it was activated and the time it was mailed to my house I more than likely wouldn’t have been able to purchase a firearm with then expired LTC cause a dealer wouldn’t have been able to complete the transaction MIRCS. this window was only a couple of days

My wife's LTC expired yesterday. We had tried for about a month before then to get an appointment for her but kept getting scheduling conflicts, and then all of a sudden Millbury had posted that they weren't accepting LTC applications or renewals. I put her application, a letter stating that it was a good faith attempt to stay legal, and a money order (don't use checks) in an envelope and mailed it. They called her a half hour ago and said they were on their way over with a receipt and needed to take a picture of her. Also they didn't want the money order so she gave them cash. The officer tried to come in the house to take the picture, saying he needed a clean wall or plain backdrop for it, but I've trained her well. "The exterior wall is good enough, officer." She said, and didn't let him in even a little. But all in all, that was easier than previous renewals.

My wife's LTC expired yesterday. We had tried for about a month before then to get an appointment for her but kept getting scheduling conflicts, and then all of a sudden Millbury had posted that they weren't accepting LTC applications or renewals. I put her application, a letter stating that it was a good faith attempt to stay legal, and a money order (don't use checks) in an envelope and mailed it. They called her a half hour ago and said they were on their way over with a receipt and needed to take a picture of her. Also they didn't want the money order so she gave them cash. The officer tried to come in the house to take the picture, saying he needed a clean wall or plain backdrop for it, but I've trained her well. "The exterior wall is good enough, officer." She said, and didn't let him in even a little. But all in all, that was easier than previous renewals.
So you've proven they CAN make easy, but they CHOOSE to make it difficult.

... The officer tried to come in the house to take the picture, saying he needed a clean wall or plain backdrop for it, but I've trained her well. "The exterior wall is good enough, officer." She said, and didn't let him in even a little. But all in all, that was easier than previous renewals.

"It's not about you, officer(s). It's my dog. She'd eat you."

I've used this line on the fuzz at most of the raids at my place.

I submitted my application prior to this whole mess and had my interview with the deputy chief on March 9. Apparently they had sent the documents on to the state. Does anyone know if the FRB is still processing?

I submitted my application prior to this whole mess and had my interview with the deputy chief on March 9. Apparently they had sent the documents on to the state. Does anyone know if the FRB is still processing?

CALL them and ask. Every time I renew, it turns out they had received and processed the renewal promptly, and it was sitting in a drawer at the local PD waiting for the four month times before they would deign to call me and say it JUST NOW arrived.

Chances are it's ready to pick up. They just won't tell you.

Hats off to your PD for going the extra mile when we consider the "state of the state" we are in.

Nice of them but why cant they use your drivers licence photo like my town?

FRB renewal status is here: Renew a firearms license

Page appears to get updated every couple of weeks, and as of now it says, "Currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between March 9 and March 22."

After the application is processed by the FRB, I believe it has to get "released" by the local PD and then the FRB mails the license (@Len-2A Training ?)

As @namedpipes says, call them and they'll give you the latest status.
The actual process is posted in my sub-forum, provided to me by the Director of FRB a few years ago. Little has changed other than almost everything is done electronically now.

Back
Top Bottom