MA Towns Suspending Licensing?

My LTC is up for renewal in about a month. I got the same notice stating that they weren't doing anything related to LTCs now. I called the licensing officer and was told to drop the application off with a check and that they'll use my RMV photo. Got a receipt emailed to me the same day I dropped it off stating that the application was processed.

My LTC is up for renewal in about a month. I got the same notice stating that they weren't doing anything related to LTCs now. I called the licensing officer and was told to drop the application off with a check and that they'll use my RMV photo. Got a receipt emailed to me the same day I dropped it off stating that the application was processed.

What about fingerprints?

What about fingerprints?
It would be reasonable to assume the FRB is trying to figure out the best way for PDs to handle in mail in applications.

Some (Brookline, for example) probably see the suspension of licensing processing as an exciting opportunity. Most probably see it as a problem and hassle they have to deal with.

Per MGL and FRB practice, fingerprints are only required for first issue after 1998. Doing them for each renewal is just another way to antagonize applicants.

Updated: 3/19

Update on Licensing Procedures During Emergency

GOAL is currently in communication with the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security. They have recently allowed the Registry of Motor Vehicles to extend all licenses, registrations, etc. by 60 days. GOAL is asking that they do the same thing with firearm licenses. The Major City Chiefs Association and the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police are in agreement with us on this.

While we are waiting on their response, here are a few things that some licensing authorities are doing to help. Please check with your town to learn if they apply accordingly.
  • Most towns are ceasing new applications to prevent face to face interactions, some now are saying mail them in and they will get to them when they can.
  • Some are asking that renewal applications be done by mail. In this case there are a few things to remember.
  • Include a $100 check made out to the city/town that you are renewing in.
  • Ask for a receipt for the application. Some are asking that you provide an email address to respond to this request. Others have said they will mail the receipt to you.
  • Once you have applied for renewal, and have a receipt, your license is valid until action is taken on it.
  • Some towns have stated that they will use your recent Registry of Motor Vehicle photo for the mail in process or the one they have on file. Some towns are asking to provide a photo with your hard copy application, preferably on a white or bright background. We assume this will allow them to take a photo of it for the files.
  • As for fingerprints, there should be no need if there are on file. In any case most are willing to waive that requirement for now.
Chapter 140, Section 131 (i): "...if the licensee applied for renewal prior to the end of that period, the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied."

Note: Even if you are able to conduct the process remotely you may not receive a physical license or card anytime soon. We are not even sure if the Firearms Record Bureau is currently operating.

Last edited:
... here are a few things that some licensing authorities are doing to help.
  • Most towns are ceasing new applications to prevent face to face interactions.
How is this helping? Ceasing new applications is denying a fundamental civil right.

Last edited:
Per MGL and FRB practice, fingerprints are only required for first issue after 1998. Doing them for each renewal is just another way to antagonize applicants.

On my latest renewal interview done in January of this year I had my prints done electronically. This may have only been done because they were updating from cards to electronic copies. I dunno.

Corona virus insanity ! How long before grocery & gas rationing starts?

Is it gonna be odd & even days again ?
(Points if you remember the "gas crisis" times of the '70's.

I do, as a youngster, and even in my single digits, it sucked. People are so much different today, there'd be riots if they tried to implement it today. Thankfully, I 'might' have several plates from work, so, I'm good with it :D.

Edit: As someone who doesn't have to deal with this BS. I hope it wakes some people up. I vote 2A as my only real plank. Don't give 2 wiggles about abortion, don't give 2 shakes about gay marriage. Maybe some of the abortion plank voters might start looking at what real 'rights' are and start voting accordingly. At least long enough to get new laws in place.

FWIW, I was able to get through on the PIN line a few minutes ago. Maybe 25 minutes on hold.
What's that number,I've been trying the number from Mass.gov and no one's home mail box full. Tried local PD and state police no luck there either. Have a rifle coming and lost my pin no pin no sale. If I can get I'll either take a picture of it or use my label marker and put it on the back of my ltc.

What's that number,I've been trying the number from Mass.gov and no one's home mail box full. Tried local PD and state police no luck there either. Have a rifle coming and lost my pin no pin no sale. If I can get I'll either take a picture of it or use my label marker and put it on the back of my ltc.
(617) 660-4722 is what I got through on yesterday AM. Have your LTC handy they will ask for your Lic. #.

Valid as in the expiration is null and void or you are protected in case of possession?

I don't know for sure, but it reads that initiated renewal = continuation of valid LTC.
Does that mean a shop will honor it for purchases? I don't know but maybe a dealer here will chime in.

(617) 660-4722 is what I got through on yesterday AM. Have your LTC handy they will ask for your Lic. #.
Just called got right thru. Funny tried that same number since the beginning of the week no one there,mail box full. Thank you for the number and letting us know FRB is up and running again.

Last edited:
Valid as in the expiration is null and void or you are protected in case of possession?
Here is the legal cite:

Chapter 140, Section 131 (i): "...if the licensee applied for renewal prior to the end of that period, the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied."

Here is the legal cite:

You're still taking a risk--a guy was arrested a while back in one town for having a pending renewal. And the policeman who arrested him was the town's licensing officer. Of course it got thrown out but that was an ugly case.

Just called got right thru. Funny tried that same number since the beginning of the week no one there,mail box full. Thank you for the number and letting us know FRB is up and running again.
We have been working with EOPSS to address these issues. We were told the agency would work on a skeleton crew as they can. The GOAL office is working the same way. Only one staffer at a time in the office.

Back
Top Bottom