• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Towns Suspending Licensing?

Folks, just to let you know that we are working on this situation. We are in direct contact with the Governor's office staff. This action is a bigger step than they perceive it.

Thank you! My LTC doesn't expire till next year, so this isn't an exigent situation for me, but thank you anyway.

Contact with "the system" by GOAL needs to be handled carefully. Getting an RMV like extension on expirations dates is a worthy and possibly attainable goal. Getting the PDs to meet people in person during a time of declared health emergency is a loser of a proposition, no matter how well justified by the constitution.

BUT... there is emergency legislation in progress. Botch this one and we'll see emergency powers related to firearms as part of the package - despite the fact that licensed gun owners are not a problem. It could end up like changing "Reason for Issuance" on LTCs to "restriction".

Buddy was turned away from W Newbury PD last week. Not accepting applications, doing fingerprinting, etc. Said they were limiting their exposure to the public.

Sandwich posted today that "The State has suspended all firearms licensing until further notice. If you have a scheduled date, a new date will be provided once licensing is opened back up."

The state? Hmm....

My state dealer license expires very soon(like days instead of weeks). Can't even get through on the phone to check the status. :rolleyes:

Lost my pin for my LTC called the state hotline no one home mail box full. Will try local pd tomorrow. Thinking of picking up a new rifle but without a pin can't buy in Ma,but can buy in NH or Me but if no one's home at state,local to get pin how do you register it within the 7 days required by law.

This from Bellingham PD:

(emphasis is mine)

Bellingham MA Police
8 hrs Ā·
March 16, 2020
Dear Residents, Businesses, and Visitors to the Town of Bellingham,
As Chief of Police I have enacted several new policies in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. While many of these affect the internal operations of the police department, there are a few which the public should be aware of. These are effective immediately and will continue until further notice.
As a police department, it is impossible for our officers to eliminate all contact with the public. Our role as peace officers is essential to the community and we will continue to respond to emergency calls for service as we always have. Please review the following changes that affect the community.
Police Station Accessibility ā€“ Until further notice, we are asking the public to avoid coming into the lobby of the police station for non-emergency business. If you have business with us that can be resolved over the phone, please call 508-966-1212 or 1515. If you need a copy of a report, please call and we will mail or email a copy to you. Please continue to use 911 for all emergencies and medical calls.
Tours of Station and Food Donations ā€“ All tours of the station and food donations to the police department are suspended until further notice.

Firearms Licensing/Citizen Fingerprinting Request ā€“ The processing for renewals of firearms licenses will continue but we request you call before dropping off the application. The picture needed to complete the renewal will occur on a later date to be determined. All new license applications and citizen fingerprinting requests are suspended until further notice.

Solicitor Permits ā€“ No new permits will be issued until further notice.
Traffic Safety ā€“ We urge the public to obey all speed limits and to be extra careful of people walking and biking around town.
I appreciate your understanding while we work to limit potential exposure of our first responders so that we can concentrate our efforts on being prepared to respond to emergency calls for service.
Gerard L. Daigle
Chief of Police

Had my LTC interview with local PD two weeks ago. Now with the state for all the background stuff. Following this very closely. Thanks for all the info gents.

The Tyranny continues.
It's no coincidence. The letters from chiefs read almost identically from town to town. This is an organized effort to delay/dissuade LTC holders. Otherwise, they would all be saying Mail it in and we'll process them . . . just like MGL says is acceptable.

Last edited:
. . . The letters from chiefs read almost identically from town to town.
Hudson Police Department letter includes these two sentences: "Contact the licensing officer if your current LTC is due to expire soon. This process can be done on-line, through the officer, and will prevent any delay."

Seriously. This is ridiculous. The state imposes these cards to begin with, gives them arbitrary expiration dates, and then gets people to panic when the state refuses to let people renew because of reasons the state decides.

Easy enough solution: The state should cancel the damn cards, or at least ignore the expiration dates. It's not like they can't.

Add another to the list, citing the State has suspended licensing.

Attachments

• 42D42247-7F0E-4B59-871D-08F7819C1DD4.jpeg
    42D42247-7F0E-4B59-871D-08F7819C1DD4.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 42
Lost my pin for my LTC called the state hotline no one home mail box full.

I noticed the State's renewal processing info here appears to have stalled. Don't know how often it was updated, but it hasn't changed from "Currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between February 10 and February 23."

I wonder how the licensing services are affected by the emergency declaration. I suspect they may be considered "non-essential", and am guessing Local PDs expected the State services would shut down and see no need contributing backlog.

Thank you! My LTC doesn't expire till next year, so this isn't an exigent situation for me, but thank you anyway.
Wrong, it should be an exigent situation to every gun owner. It sets a horrible precedent.

I dont renew until 2023 and I am worried.

At the same time, it could turn out to be good for us. Maybe police departments start accepting mail in applications for renewals or renewing online like a drivers license ... I want to be positive, but it is hard in MA.

Did some looking, nothing in Melrose, yet.

Malden:

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9zMhQzlwlq/

How do you need to "look" for ways to do a mail in application?

Just have people put the application in the mail and send the damn thing, then someone processes the paperwork. The ATF can do it with a C&R at a national level, it is not hard.

When they say "looking" read it as "doing nothing". (Except for GOAL and Comm2A).

Friend from Wilmington sent me this notice

Attachments

• FD160E81-B7BE-4D76-B20A-9A6F02149075.jpeg
    FD160E81-B7BE-4D76-B20A-9A6F02149075.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 47
I noticed the State's renewal processing info here appears to have stalled. Don't know how often it was updated, but it hasn't changed from "Currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between February 10 and February 23."

I wonder how the licensing services are affected by the emergency declaration. I suspect they may be considered "non-essential", and am guessing Local PDs expected the State services would shut down and see no need contributing backlog.
I'm getting the the full mailbox message for my Pin retrieval as well and haven't been able to reach anyone on the main FRB #. I also left a message with my town's(Milton) Licensing Officer. I'll post back with any updates.

How do you need to "look" for ways to do a mail in application?

Just have people put the application in the mail and send the damn thing, then someone processes the paperwork. The ATF can do it with a C&R at a national level, it is not hard.

When they say "looking" read it as "doing nothing". (Except for GOAL and Comm2A).
From what little we know, the virus can live on paper for a week or more (they claim), so accepting Mail is a legit issue. Simple work-around is to ask applicants to scan a signed copy and Email it in . . . that takes away all risk of infection. However, that would be "customer service" so don't expect almost any PD to offer this.

As for the state shutting down licensing, it is quite probable. This is what I found on the FRB website just now.
Firearms Services states
Non-emergency Executive Branch employees should not report to work 3/16 or 3/17 Mar. 15th, 2020, 9:03 pm Read more
and the link from Read More is: Emergency Alerts | Mass.gov
Non-emergency Executive Branch employees should not report to work 3/16 or 3/17
Updated: Mar. 15th, 2020, 9:03 pm

All non-emergency state employees working in Executive Branch agencies should not report to their workplace on Monday, March 16th and Tuesday, March 17th. Employees who are designated by their managers as emergency for the purposes of coronavirus planning should report to work as well. Those employees will be contacted by their managers the evening of March 15. During this period, the administration will work to expand alternative work arrangements for the executive branch workforce and further develop plans to continue to provide essential state government services.

Weymouth:
FIREARMS LICENSING: We are temporarily suspending the processing of firearms licensing. Please contact Officer Ed Chase at 781-340-5059 or [email protected] if you have any questions.

If this thing (the Kung Flu, I mean) is still going on three years from now, I doubt you'll need to worry about an LTC. The libtards will all have died off and walking around WITHOUT a hand cannon, you'd be viewed with suspicion.
Im not worried the virus will still be going on in 3 years. If this thing goes one for one year we wont have an economy to worry about, let alone what it would look like in 3 years.

What I am worried about is the precedent this could set. Whenever it comes to guns and MA, I always aproach it as "they are trying to do whatever they can to f*ck us".

Imagine this ... next winter, due to the possibility of COVID-19 returning, the flu season and to avoid what we saw during the winter of 2019/2020, we will limit our exposure to the public between December and mid March, f*ck your renewals.

Im not worried the virus will still be going on in 3 years. If this thing goes one for one year we wont have an economy to worry about, let alone what it would look like in 3 years.

What I am worried about is the precedent this could set. Whenever it comes to guns and MA, I always aproach it as "they are trying to do whatever they can to f*ck us".

Imagine this ... next winter, due to the possibility of COVID-19 returning, the flu season and to avoid what we saw during the winter of 2019/2020, we will limit our exposure to the public between December and mid March, f*ck your renewals.

In all seriousness, if it comes to that, f*ck their licensure.

Back
Top Bottom