MA to NH transfer

I live in NH, my friend lives in MA. If he drives a pistol up to a NH dealer and has the dealer do a FFL transfer to me, does he need anything special to complete the FA10 process? Is this legal to do, or does he have to bring it to a MA dealer and ship it?

I live in NH, my friend lives in MA. If he drives a pistol up to a NH dealer and has the dealer do a FFL transfer to me, does he need anything special to complete the FA10 process? Is this legal to do, or does he have to bring it to a MA dealer and ship it?

The NH FFL will need to take it, ship it to a MA FFL at which point the MA FFL can transfer it to you as long as it us MA compliant.

the firearm must be transfered from a MA ffl to a NH ffl since it is being transferred from a ma resident to NH resident.

The NH FFL will need to take it, ship it to a MA FFL at which point the MA FFL can transfer it to you as long as it us MA compliant.

You've got it backwards. It's being transferred from MA to NH. Also, only one FFL is required (see below).

the firearm must be transfered from a MA ffl to a NH ffl since it is being transferred from a ma resident to NH resident.

The only FFL required by law is in the transferee's State of residence.

OP: Yes, your friend can drive the handgun to NH (providing he complies with NH possession/transportation laws), and have a FFL effect the transfer to you. No FA-10 is required.

Last edited:
Any handgun needs to be moved via your FFL to "X" state's FFL. That's a federal mandate, if I"m not mistaken... Longarms need not apply

Same is true to move my father's guns (NH) to me, Mass. I can't even play with my daddy's guns!![crying]...and no, he ain't dead so inheritance isn't working [wink].......yet

Last edited:
Any handgun needs to be moved via your FFL to "X" state's FFL. That's a federal mandate, if I"m not mistaken... Longarms need not apply

Same is true to move my father's guns (NH) to me, Mass. I can't even play with my daddy's guns!![crying]...and no, he ain't dead so inheritance isn't working [wink].......yet

You are wrong. Time to do some reading on the laws.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but no, firearms to not have to be "moved via your FFL to "X" state's FFL."

Kevlar's right on the money. The handgun has to be delivered to a NH FFL for transfer to the NH resident. That delivery can take place via FedEx, UPS, or by physically driving it up to the NH FFL and handing it to him.

wow tons of bad info in this thread, but the short version is your friend in MA can legally bring any gun to NH, and for the sake of conversation we'll assume no NH non res P&R license, so the only restriction on him bringing a gun from MA to NH is it has to be unloaded in the car or if concealed while he is in NH.

All long guns must be unloaded in a motor vehicle in NH, resident or not IIRC IANAL. If he has a NH Non Res P&R license he can transport a handgun loaded or concealed in NH regardless of any restrictions his MA LTC. Just remember most FFL's will not be happy if you walk in with a loaded gun to transfer,so it is a good idea and good gun etiquette to walk in with it unloaded for transfer.

Once he is in NH he can go to a friendly local FFL who can transfer the gun to the NH resident.

NH to MA is a whole other story.....

Last edited:

He can bring it outbound directly to your FFL and then your FFL puts it in his book and then transfers it to you.

There is no FA-10 process on MA outbounds, there is no "unregistration" of a gun in MA, it's on the books forever in MA under his name (and possibly other peoples) and there isn't a damned thing he can do about it, so it's not worth worrying about. (theres no legal requirement on his part, either, to be clear). He should probably get a receipt from the NH dealer, however, showing that the dealer took gun XYZ in on XYZ date, just for his own records.

-Mike

Last edited:
You don't need crappy laws to screw things up when your source for legal advice is the kid working the counter at Dick's or Wal-Mart. You'd probably get equally good advice asking them to help plan your financial investments or decide whether that growth on your butt needs to be removed.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom