• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ma to CT firearm transfer

Just looking for the short version.
i want to sell my 1911 to a CT resident.
so the question is can I bring the gun to a gun shop in CT and have them transfer ownership to the new owner?
its just a S&W 1911sc pro series if it matters.

Unsure of CT laws wrt you transporting the gun to a CT FFL.

Unsure of the CT laws wrt what is legal to own there given their recent legislative insanity.

DCMDON should be able to fill in these blanks, he's the CT gun law authority on this forum.

Nra has a few pages about it: Google "transporting firearm in ct" to see them.

Use it or links on handgunlaw.us ONLY to get to the state's own webpages. NEVER trust any 3rd party site for definitive legal info. Things change, interpretations change, etc. and not all sites are updated instantly (even the state, but at least you can try to prove true due diligence).

You must bring the gun to a FFL in MA and have them ship it to the buyers FFL in CT and they will give it to the buyer.

You must bring the gun to a FFL in MA and have them ship it to the buyers FFL in CT and they will give it to the buyer.

There is NO Fed Law that requires this. Might CT require this? Unknown to me. Might it be illegal for him to transport it to a CT FFL? Also unknown to me. These are the questions that only someone versed in CT gun law can answer authoritatively.

Wrong. Generally you can not move a handgun around in CT with out a "Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers", a/k/a "pistol permit".

However CGS 529 Sec 29-35 gives many many instances where this would be legal. Including but not limited to the transport of the firearm as "merchandise", and the transport of the firearm to a dealer for repair. Bottom line is to put it in the trunk and drive straight to the dealer. If you don't have a trunk, put it in a locked case.

(MA sissies leave your trigger locks at home)

Don

http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_529.htm#sec_29-35

If in doubt you could have the buyer meet you had the state line and then accompany you to the FFL for the transfer assuming they have a current P&R license. It could be in their possession and not yours. But if you spend anytime in CT at all you may want to get a non-resident license which is easy to do and I believe costs about $75 for five years. They are renewable by mail.

If in doubt you could have the buyer meet you had the state line and then accompany you to the FFL for the transfer assuming they have a current P&R license. It could be in their possession and not yours. But if you spend anytime in CT at all you may want to get a non-resident license which is easy to do and I believe costs about $75 for five years. They are renewable by mail.

Agreed. Having the buyer (who would need a pistol permit to actually buy it, so we'll assume he has one) meet you in MA near the state line, would be a reasonable thing to do if you know him. I'd rather not get into a car with a stranger to drive to a gun store.

Problem with that is if you got stopped and the cop wanted to be a real dick, you're either illegally carrying the gun in CT as a MA resident w/no CT permit -- or you've illegally transferred the firearm to a resident of another state - and that's a Federal law violation.

If I were you, (and I'm definitely not a lawyer), I'd put the firearm in one locked box and the unloaded magazines in another locked box, put the boxes in the trunk of your car and drive to a CT FFL to meet the CT buyer. To be sure you're not wasting your time, I'd make sure the CT buyer has a permit, and I'd take a couple minutes to make the phone call to their FFL to make sure they'll do the transfer. I don't see any reason why the FFL wouldn't, but a quick phone call could save you some aggravation.

As for a question raised elsewhere in this thread; CT bans "high-capacity" mags unless registered before 1/1/14. There is also verbiage in the laws about magazines that extend beyond the grip, so a 10-round mag in a grip made for a 7 round mag is a problem too. Standard 1911 MAGS won't be a problem. The

You're definitely not a lawyer.

Did you read anything that I wrote above?? Please stop spreading incorrect FUD. It wasn't just my opinion. I backed it up with citations.

If a cop wants to be a "real dick" a cop can make your life miserable no matter what you do. By your logic, you shouldn't use pre-ban firearms or mags because even though its legal, if the cop wants to be a real dick . . . . .

The reality is that a handgun in a vehicle occupied by a resident of CT with a CT PP and a resident of MA with a MA LTC can be legally driven around both states.

Further, federal law allows you to LOAN someone a gun. So it is not a transfer. Feds define a transfer as a change of ownersihp. But what do I know? Since I may not know much. Lets see what the ATF thinks about this, shall we?

Don

p.s. http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf
See the answer to question 2.

Actually, I'll make it easier. here's a clip.

The GCA provides an exception from this
prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for
example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting.

With respect to federal law, the term "unlicensed person" refers to anyone who is not an FFL, who is typically referred to as a "licensee". (and no 03 FFLs don't count)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom