• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA State Trooper accidentally shoots himself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I've seen what buck does to bone. [thinking]
There's a lot of surgery in his future.
Hope he makes a full recovery.

Someone screwed the pooch.
The rest of the story will be interesting when it gets sorted out.

Did he directly shoot himself in the leg or was it ricochet? If it was direct, that is damn impressive. Even acting stupid it is hard to shoot yourself directly with a long gun. Either way, it's hard to feel bad for someone who is apparently an idiot and a cheating scumbag.

How about, while turning around from trunk of car and holding shotgun, stumbles, trips over his own foot while turning around, as he is falling, lets go of shotgun and reaches for the ground with hand to aid in fall , shotgun flips around in mid air, and as he is still reaching for the ground finger goes into trigger guard and force is applied to the trigger, all while a round is chambered and safety is off. How else could this happen? Sometimes when your around guns a lot, you forget that they are dangerous, if you do not follow the rules, so you end up not following the rules , one rule at a time, then it is only a matter of circumstance and fate before something goes wrong. Remember, always follow the rules of safe gun handling.
or could the possibility be that it was self inflicted. I was not there , so I do not know. Sorry of what has happened here. We were all very surprised about Millis. but the thought did cross my mind then, just being polite.

Hope he makes a complete recovery, regardless of how this happened.

--------------

If they reported non life threating I'm assuming he shot the ground and shot came back at him.

Good possibility.

-------------

I've had a Rem. 1100 skeet gun forever and can tell you that it looks like the firing pin free-floats in the bolt. I suspect that it could indeed go off if the gun was dropped or banged on something hard enough. I do own a Rem. 870 but have never taken it totally apart to clean it, but if the bolt is designed similarly I can see this happening by accidentally banging it on something.

Hope we get the real story but that almost never will happen when police are involved. I'm interested strictly from the technical standpoint.

Hope he makes a complete recovery, regardless of how this happened.

--------------

Good possibility.

-------------

I've had a Rem. 1100 skeet gun forever and can tell you that it looks like the firing pin free-floats in the bolt. I suspect that it could indeed go off if the gun was dropped or banged on something hard enough. I do own a Rem. 870 but have never taken it totally apart to clean it, but if the bolt is designed similarly I can see this happening by accidentally banging it on something.

Hope we get the real story but that almost never will happen when police are involved. I'm interested strictly from the technical standpoint.

Uses a spring to prevent the firing pin setting a round off from being dropped.

It happened at the airfield in Ayer, not south post.

To the people saying "he had a DV complaint, so F him!" I remember a couple weeks ago there was a guy here whining about his wife throwing a DV at him an him losing his guns. Maybe he will blow his leg off too, huh?

Stay classy, NES

tumblr_mmhqpcDkiT1rmi8nxo1_500.jpg

I assume the MSP typically uses pump action shotguns?

So obviously this "accident" required a shell in the chamber, safety in off position and a finger on trigger or some other object within trigger guard to make the gun go bang.

How does this happen when you are just transferring the shotgun from one car to another?

Does the MSP transport shotguns with a round in the chamber or no?
Anyone know?

You forgot RULE NUMBER ONE, which is to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, so that even if any of the three other things you mention happen, he still wouldn't have shot himself. He broke at least four rules of safe gun handing. This is actually pretty hard to do if you have even half a brain.

OP please change the thread title and remove the word 'accidentally.' There's nothing accidental about this NEGLIGENT discharge.

To the people saying "he had a DV complaint, so F him!" I remember a couple weeks ago there was a guy here whining about his wife throwing a DV at him an him losing his guns. Maybe he will blow his leg off too, huh?

Stay classy, NES

If any non-LEO gun owner in Mass was charged with DV, they'd have their LTC immediately revoked and all guns confiscated. Why is it that LEOs are not subject to this same standard?

If any non-LEO gun owner in Mass was charged with DV, they'd have their LTC immediately revoked and all guns confiscated. Why is it that LEOs are not subject to this same standard?

Because they are special that's why.....same reason they are exempt from certain laws only us citizens....I mean subjects are supposed to follow.
I can almost with certainty wage a bet that your average Joe iwould have been transported to the closest hospital ran through then maybe transported by helicopter to the next nearest hospital that could handle trauma...... that's just my gut feeling.

Because a good percentage don't actually have any LTC to lose.
Cops in Mass carry "on the badge", so as long as they still have the tin, they get to keep and carry their guns.
Oh, and belonging to a powerful union doesn't hurt either.

Because a good percentage don't actually have any LTC to lose.
Cops in Mass carry "on the badge", so as long as they still have the tin, they get to keep and carry their guns.
Oh, and belonging to a powerful union doesn't hurt either.
MERICA !! ****ing sick..[sad2]

Stay classy, NES
He must have been using the old airstrip for tactical driving practice.

Sorry, can't blame Glock this time, the MSP doesn't use Glocks, and never did.
In the 90's they had SIG 226's in 9mm, then traded them for SIG 226's in .40, now most are carrying M&P .45's now.
Does Glock make a shotgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom