MA : State Reps or Senators who need convincing on new gun laws

There is already a good thread on positive responses, but while they may make us feel good there's not much that needs to be done there. My intent for this thread is to provide a place to list those state senators or representatives who need to hear from us. Not necessarily those who are a hard "NO", but those that are wishy-washy or need to be convinced, either through facts or sheer numbers. For those of us who have senators/representatives who are already on our side, myself included, it would be nice to have a list of people to work to keep up the pressure, be they individual elected officials, committees, or other avenues. If we're to defeat this we need to target our effort at the most useful targets to prevail.

So, who's on the fence that could benefit from a "broader base" contacting them?

Edit:

Contact info for every member of the MA house and Senate on two pages. If you've got a moment, grab a name from the list below and call or send E-mail!

http://www.malegislature.gov/People/House

http://www.malegislature.gov/People/Senate

Senators of Interest:

Sen. Gale Candaras
Sen. Katherine Clark

Representatives of Interest:

Rep Sean Curran
Rep Thomas Petrolati

Last edited:
Waiting to hear from Jim Dwyer and Ken Donnelly. Sent them through Ruger but after last night sent them both personal emails today. Dwyer and I talked about his support on H1567, which he was fully behind, hoping he is fully against this. I do not know about Donnelly.

Is there a website from the state that lists reps/districts/office hours/contacts. I am sure there is, just having a hard time navigating .mass.gov.

Also, I would assume that the state reps / congressmen only care about people in their own district? Or do they actually care about total input.

While calling the office is OK, I wanted to get office hours to actually possibly meet and explain the reasons. I would like to hear someone's answer if I ask, 'why do you think it will make any difference is the gun has 7 bullets vs. 10?

Is there a website from the state that lists reps/districts/office hours/contacts. I am sure there is, just having a hard time navigating .mass.gov.

Also, I would assume that the state reps / congressmen only care about people in their own district? Or do they actually care about total input.

While calling the office is OK, I wanted to get office hours to actually possibly meet and explain the reasons. I would like to hear someone's answer if I ask, 'why do you think it will make any difference is the gun has 7 bullets vs. 10?

They are likely to principally care about their own district. But you don't necessarily need to include your address when contacting them if you don't want to, and volume has an effect all its own.

Senator Jennifer Flanagan's people said she wouldn't comment on a bill that had not yet been filed. She did say "She understands that she has many sportsmen in her district". Many of the others on the list will always vote against us, but Flanagan seems like she may be swingable to our side if she is not there already...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Waiting to hear from Jim Dwyer and Ken Donnelly. Sent them through Ruger but after last night sent them both personal emails today. Dwyer and I talked about his support on H1567, which he was fully behind, hoping he is fully against this. I do not know about Donnelly.

Donnelly has been anti gun in the past. I know him personally so I will try and make a call.

Need convincing:

Sen. Therese Murray (Senate President)
[email protected]
P 617.722.1500
-Spoke with her aide, took down all my points on this and Linsky's proposal

Rep. Robert DeLeo (Speaker)
[email protected]
P 617.722.2500
-Spoke with aide, took down all my points on this and Linsky's proposal

Sen. Gale Candaras
P 617.722.1291
[email protected]

Sen. Katherine Clark
P 617.722.1206
[email protected]

Rep Sean Curran
P 617.722.2263
[email protected]

Rep Thomas Petrolati
P 617.722.2255
[email protected]

Further, you should be contacting anyone with an NR or a B or less rating from GOAL's website. We NEED to procure the fence sitters.

http://goal.org/candidate-ratings.html

I was assured by Sen Bruce Tarr (Minority Leader) that the Republican caucus is unilaterally against this. Remember, mention the Governor's bill AND Rep. Linsky's piece of shit legislation that is right around the corner.

Donnelly finally responded to me after 2 emails and 3 calls. Took him over a month. He is no friend to us. GOAL has him rated A

Dear Mr. X,

I respect the long tradition of gun ownership in this country. I also believe we can and must address the issue of escalating gun violence.

There is no single solution to ending gun violence but that should not stop us from taking reasonable steps to help control that violence. I believe it includes steps like restricting access to dangerous weapons and high capacity magazines to law enforcement and military uses; background checks for all gun purchases regardless of where they take place; bringing Massachusetts into compliance with the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) and finding ways to better serve those with mental illness who need treatment but fall through the cracks of our healthcare system.

I have heard from constituents on both sides of this issue. I will carefully study the bills that come before the Legislature and do my best to balance the interests of those for and against gun control.

Though we may disagree on this matter, I appreciate you contacting me and I will keep your position in mind as we move forward.

Sincerely,

Senator Ken Donnelly

I think the POLs see that the majority of the people want something done (irrelevant of the facts).

So the new definition of an A rating means that 'gun show loophole' is addressed, high capacity mags are addressed.

What I don't understand is that in MA we already have the high capacity addressed, I thought that MA is in compliance with NICS, and I kind of thought there is no 'gun show loophole' , all private sales need to be registered? Or do I have it wrong?

Denise Garlick, Rep., Needham/Dover/Medfield. Seems to be leaning more towards mental health issues but who knows. GOAL NR rating. Has proposed the following bill:

HD2917

An Act relative to pension divestment from certain companies with business activities relating to the manufacture, sale, distribution of prohibited weapons and munitions banned under Massachusetts General Laws or any other general or special law or rules or regulations of the Commonwealth.

Denise Garlick, Rep., Needham/Dover/Medfield. Seems to be leaning more towards mental health issues but who knows. GOAL NR rating.

I got a similar response from Senator Spilka. Maybe that is their agreed upon target/backstop so they can say they did something. They don't know how to do it though - the mental health people will go batty if you try to open mental health records.

That said, Sen. Spilka could use more calls and more information, and I recommend you call every single person on the Joint Committee for Public Safety and Homeland Security.

Back
Top Bottom